Advice Needed - Mom Car

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
We have two kids and the explorer is OK. Not the best second row for car seats which is why we take my truck everywhere. Gas mileage is terrible at 15 mpg. I've heard from other ecoboost owners that the gas mileage suck. I've been looking at trading it in on a Lexus RX350.
Man that is terrible. My mom and sister each had one and my mom would get like 20 and my sister (who thinks the throttle is a toggle switch) would do like 17.

I borrowed my sisters car for a camping trip and managed 21, then again to drive 6 people to another state and my goal was 25 but I was only able to do 23.5 (hand calc).

sleek98

Established Member
We really liked our Honda pilot for the kids when they were rear facing. It was a 2013, not sure how the new ones compare.

Blown 89

Established Member
The Infinity QX80 and Nissan Armada are worth looking at. We see a ton of them towing race trailers at the track.

Minivans are the way to go IMO. I would broaden your horizons past Ford IMO. They were really unimpressive when we were looking for a mom-mobile.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
We have a Durango SRT with 3 kids and it works well until we have to travel with luggage. Then we have to put on the luggage rack on the hitch. No way to fit a week worth of luggage for 5 in it.

If I was sticking to Ford I would also look at the Flex for anything fewer than 4 kids. Once you get to 4 you need a full size SUV or a minivan.

blownfox

Established Member
Man that is terrible. My mom and sister each had one and my mom would get like 20 and my sister (who thinks the throttle is a toggle switch) would do like 17.

I borrowed my sisters car for a camping trip and managed 21, then again to drive 6 people to another state and my goal was 25 but I was only able to do 23.5 (hand calc).

What engine? Our is paid off and that's the only reason we keep it. But in the year will replace it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
We started off with a Moutaineer and that lasted until my son was around 12 or 13. He just started getting too big for the back seat. That plus the miles made us trade it on for the Expedition EL. I loved that thing. It had the electric third row that folded flat. On long trips my son would sit in the third row and my daughter would get the second row. We left one side of the second row down for the dogs to move around and get comfortable. I still miss the Expedition occasionally because of the room. But you know how I feel about my truck now.

Something you should probably think about is you guys always seem to have your dogs with you. So I'd add that into the equation.

97svt/01saleen

Established Member
I have a 2020 Explorer ST as a work/haul kids to school vehicle. We have 2 children, both were in car seats at the time of purchase and I take 4 total children to school every morning. To me, the key to kids in the 3rd row is the captain chairs, I would highly recommend having these in any vehicle you choose to purchase. If we were to have more than 2 children, then I would also recommend the Expedition Max for the additional space behind the 3rd row when traveling, and still option for the captain chairs in the 2nd row.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
We started off with a Moutaineer and that lasted until my son was around 12 or 13. He just started getting too big for the back seat. That plus the miles made us trade it on for the Expedition EL. I loved that thing. It had the electric third row that folded flat. On long trips my son would sit in the third row and my daughter would get the second row. We left one side of the second row down for the dogs to move around and get comfortable. I still miss the Expedition occasionally because of the room. But you know how I feel about my truck now.

Something you should probably think about is you guys always seem to have your dogs with you. So I'd add that into the equation.
That’s why we like that third row haha

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Explorers are great for 1-2 kids.
Expeditions are great for 3-5 kids.

If you get an Expedition, I'd get a MAX just for the extra storage room in the rear. But if you guys are only going to have <2 kids, you would love an Explorer.
I'd agree with the previous 5th Gen Explorers but IMO the second row bench is not bad at all for 3 adults on the 6th Gen's. My 2 kids fit pretty good in the 2nd row with one toddler car seat in the middle.

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Got the wife a 13' Explorer Sport new when she was pregnant, still driving it today with 115K miles. It's been solid and gets 19-21 mpg consistently, she loves it.

Side note, my 20' F150 CC 4x4 with the 3.5 eco gets 22 mpg.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
We have two kids and the explorer is OK. Not the best second row for car seats which is why we take my truck everywhere. Gas mileage is terrible at 15 mpg. I've heard from other ecoboost owners that the gas mileage suck. I've been looking at trading it in on a Lexus RX350.
I was getting around 15 MPG 90% City Driving in LA traffic in the 18 Explorer Sport
Our 20 Explorer Platinum gets closer to 17, same scenario.

Not sure how bad traffic is with you, but I thought it was decent in my case.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
We had an explorer sport which we loved. When kid 3 came we needed bigger. Went to a suburban. My wife said shed never drive a mini-van, till we rented one on vacation. She was sold.

We were going to get the Carnival but then we checked out the Pacifica hybrid. We love it. Its loaded. We do most of the driving on pure electric and when we do get into gas mode we get 40mpg easy.
Its possibly the most comfortable vehicle weve owned. Its almost the only vehicle that gets driven now lol.

We can take the two little kids and both grandmas when we go out to dinner lol. Comfortably with plenty of room.

With rebates and discount we got about $12k off, during the height of covid no less when there were no vehicles anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blownfox

Established Member
I was getting around 15 MPG 90% City Driving in LA traffic in the 18 Explorer Sport
Our 20 Explorer Platinum gets closer to 17, same scenario.

Not sure how bad traffic is with you, but I thought it was decent in my case.

Driving here is nothing compared to LA. It probably a 10 minute drive st 40 mph with 4 traffic lights. It's alway go 15 mpgs.

She really wanted the explorer ST but not sure I want to stick with ford suv's.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I only have one and he gets toted around in a QX80 and I still wish I had more room. If you are planning on multiple in a short time frame just bite the bullet and go minivan. If you just can’t get past the van concept then I would suggest Expedition max, Suburban, or Tahoe XL. Space is a premium when you are packing car seats, strollers and the plethora of other junk that comes with kids.

Users who are viewing this thread