Adopting a rescue dog

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Here is our man. Was on deaths door when we got him.

He has the looks and size to be intimidating but he's really just a huge baby.

As long as you don't seem to be a threat to either of our two small children (6 & 3). If he thinks you pose even the slightest danger to those two kids god help you...
1e164571f8c15a924f486830196fc325.jpg
99b634f58f63818334a5c33e3bc4b6d7.jpg
3b84e1d9d4ec5c1dae11a95d5ba442d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Zemedici

Established Member
Here is our man. Was on deaths door when we got him.

He has the looks and size to be intimidating but he's really just a huge baby.

As long as you don't seem to be a threat to either of our two small children (6 & 3). If he thinks you pose even the slightest danger to those two kids god help you...
1e164571f8c15a924f486830196fc325.jpg
99b634f58f63818334a5c33e3bc4b6d7.jpg
3b84e1d9d4ec5c1dae11a95d5ba442d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

that last picture is adorable

like 'sup bro?'

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'll have to get more pictures of his leg, it''s pretty jacked up. His right leg is turned about 90* to the right. His original owner ran over it with a dump truck. He took him to the vet but never kept him crated or took him for after care. He was going to shoot him because he'd got after his chickens but a neighbor took him and now here he is. He gets around without a hitch, he ran around for a good 30 minutes after I got home today in the back yard. It'll be a big adjustment after the surgery. He's almost always full-steam ahead because he hasn't had a lot of structure in his life. We'll fix that first, we'll have him neutered soon so that will help some.

mj0qi0.jpg

1nyb7k.jpg

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Good for you OP. I truly believe that karma pays in dividends what you put out.

Thanks for doing a good deed. Most everyone would have turned their back on that dog, but you had the heart to do otherwise.

God bless.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
that last picture is adorable
I agree. Wicked cute dog.

Good luck OP!! You're doing an awesome thing.
He's lucky to have you and your wife! I hope he heals back to 100% or very close to it.

allister

Established Member
The world is a better place because of people like you. Sorry for the loss of Dozer. We have 2 dogs, a full blooded lab from a breeder and then a boxer/lab mix we rescued. I will say this, after rescuing, I will be sure to always have a rescue dog. Labs hold a special place in my heart so I will probably always have to have a lab, but there is something so unconditional about having a rescue dog. It's more rewarding and also makes me feel less guilty for buying a pure bred lab. I hope we live to see a day where 'rescue dogs' become a thing of the past and every dog has a loving home from the day they are born until the day they die. Good luck with your journey, keep us updated!

budman5023

Established Member
Nice job on the rescue. It's always so heart breaking when you loss a pet, that's why I adopt another dog to help with the pain.
I don't like buying from breeders. My sister got an inbred and sometimes very expensive. Dogs provide some of best unconditional loyalty. I say better then most people.
I rescued a red nose pit or Staffordshire Terrier after katrina. Jaid. Still have her. She was a bait and breeder dog and wasn't even a year old yet. The guy who owned her went to jail for God knows what and my friends lived near by cut the chain off and brought her to me. BEST COMPANION I EVER HAD.
She is great with kids, old people, and other pets. She even took care of the ducklings. My nephew pulled on her ears like he was doing a pull up and all she did was pulled away. She just doesn't like water or thunder storms(shakes). I bet she could be a therapy dog.
I rescued a pit mix from the humane society in 2013 and she is just as good but a lot more goofy and likes fetch and swimming.
When I was younger I got bit by a lot of dogs (I was a brat) never a Pit, Rottweiler, or Doberman. It's all how you raise em. I bet chihuahuas bite more people then any other dog lol. I guess it is posible to get a dog with a mental illness but I don't think they make dog medication for depression or stress.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice job on the rescue. It's always so heart breaking when you loss a pet, that's why I adopt another dog to help with the pain.
I don't like buying from breeders. My sister got an inbred and sometimes very expensive. Dogs provide some of best unconditional loyalty. I say better then most people.
I rescued a red nose pit or Staffordshire Terrier after katrina. Jaid. Still have her. She was a bait and breeder dog and wasn't even a year old yet. The guy who owned her went to jail for God knows what and my friends lived near by cut the chain off and brought her to me. BEST COMPANION I EVER HAD.
She is great with kids, old people, and other pets. She even took care of the ducklings. My nephew pulled on her ears like he was doing a pull up and all she did was pulled away. She just doesn't like water or thunder storms(shakes). I bet she could be a therapy dog.
I rescued a pit mix from the humane society in 2013 and she is just as good but a lot more goofy and likes fetch and swimming.
When I was younger I got bit by a lot of dogs (I was a brat) never a Pit, Rottweiler, or Doberman. It's all how you raise em. I bet chihuahuas bite more people then any other dog lol. I guess it is posible to get a dog with a mental illness but I don't think they make dog medication for depression or stress.

Let's see some pics

SNCBOOM

Established Member

I grew up with a golden retriever that was probably about 2-3 years old when we adopted him from the pound. He had half of a tail and a lot of mats in his fur. You could tell that he appreciated being saved. He was a great dog and passed 15 years or so ago. Dozer was my baby boy and I still think about him [especially now with another doberman]. They're all different but I've never met a dog that I didn't like. This one is rough around the edges but thankfully he's still somewhat young and very sweet. He's getting neutered next Thursday and I'm giving him a good dose of structure. I appreciate everyone thanking me, I just wanted to point out that rescue dogs are worth a look. We chose one of their less desirable dogs for that reason.

Coiled03

Established Member
Just posting to say we need more people like OP.

That is all.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Way to go, OP! We recently adopted our first dog from an abusive situation. It was tough at first, for me. Any little thing would scare him, it was three weeks before he would come to me even if I was sitting on the floor. At first I didn't know if we were going to be compatible. But then one night he thought I was going to attack my wife (in his old situation, the husband was a mean, abusive, wife-beating alcoholic) and he got in between me and my wife and wouldn't let me get near her. He was scared, shaking, expecting a beating, but he did not back down. It was at that moment he completely won me over. Any critter with that much courage, I'm going to find a way to make it work. And we did.

It was sort of like learning how to train a dog, all over again. I was the one who had to learn how to deal with him. Now? He's like any other dog I've ever had: loyal, friendly, devoted.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Good thread!

We have adopted a lot of small dogs, one was old (18 years+) and was blind. They were going to put her to sleep but thankfully she got to enjoy another year, amazing how it was able to find it's way around. Always hard going to the shelter and seeing so many animals sitting in there, some coming from very bad situations.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Why would you want all that mess on your hands? Those dogs are damaged bro

Well hopefully you don't have any kids around the dog.
I've almost had enough of you. I haven't really checked this based on the subject. One more and you're gone, and this will not be a temporary one. Understand?

Users who are viewing this thread