Adopting a rescue dog

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Nothing wrong with a rescue dog. We've done a few rescues over the years.

They generally take a little more patience and work up front but our experience has been that our rescues have been some of the best dogs we've ever owned.

My first rescue was an older Doberman, Wilbur...was an amazing dog.

I've always wanted a pair of them like the "lads" from magnum P.I.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Branhammer

Established Member
That's awesome OP! I hate to see mistreated dogs but it's nice when people are willing to step up and improve a dog's life. Have you thought about Fostering additional rescues after you've adopted him? My wife and I are heavily involved in the National Brittany Rescue and on top of the two Britts we own, there is always at least one revolving foster in our home. There have been times we've had up to 6 Britts in our home. Hectic, stressful, totally rewarding.

You can focus on one specific breed of rescue dog and literally ALWAYS be busy with it.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Way to go man, we have two rescues (Dachshunds) ourselves. We vacation foster for the local Dachshund Rescue group, if any of the fosters go out of town they leave their dogs with us instead of kenneling them.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Good for you OP!

We need more people like you in this world and less "its all about me" people.

We have been fostering dogs from our local Humane Society Shelter for almost a year now.
They average only 2-4 weeks with us before they are adopted by a good family, but it is well worth it.

Here is Tank (currently up for adoption), and Abby and Doc, a few examples of the "Big Sweeties" we get to foster:

oXmc.jpg

pXmc.jpg

Abby:

Doc:

Last edited:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Good for you OP!

We need more people like you in this world and less "its all about me" people.

We have been fostering dogs from our local Humane Society Shelter for almost a year now.
They average only 2-4 weeks with us before they are adopted by a good family, but it is well worth it.

Here is Tank (currently up for adoption), and Abby and Doc, a few examples of the "Big Sweeties" we get to foster:

I love it. I'd be afraid I would get to attached to let them go. Do you ever feel that way?

evolve

Established Member
Sorry for your loss. We have 2 rescue dogs and they have been amazing the last 6+ years for both. One is a Rott/Lab mix the other an Aussie Shepherd. Wouldn't trade them for the world!

Branhammer

Established Member
I love it. I'd be afraid I would get to attached to let them go. Do you ever feel that way?

Not directed at me, but I do have an answer. It's never easy to let them go. Our first foster was one of the hardest for me to let go. The ones that stay with us longer are also difficult. We had one boy for 9 months. That one was tough. Having a dog or two that are permanent makes it much easier though. We know some fosters that don't actually have dogs of their own and I can't imagine what it's like to send a foster off and then have a dog-free home after that.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Not directed at me, but I do have an answer. It's never easy to let them go. Our first foster was one of the hardest for me to let go. The ones that stay with us longer are also difficult. We had one boy for 9 months. That one was tough. Having a dog or two that are permanent makes it much easier though. We know some fosters that don't actually have dogs of their own and I can't imagine what it's like to send a foster off and then have a dog-free home after that.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Even though I have 3 of my own I don't think I could do it.

_Snake_

Established Member
To the OP and the rest who are rescuing and fostering, a very sincere and heartfelt thank you.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

My wife and I have an agreement that if we decide to keep one of our foster dogs (because we just can't give them up) then we would be done fostering.

We don't want multiple dogs as we are just not set up for it and we both work full time, so we do not feel it would be appropriate. We feel that Gunner and one foster dog is the max. we want to deal with right now.

As long as the adopting family is good, we are fine with giving them up.
The new family gets a great pet, the adopted dog gets a great home, and we now can foster a new dog for someone else to adopt.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Good for you OP! Love both our rescues, I'm terrified of the day my older one goes (on the right)

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_1867.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 81

Blown 89

Established Member
Well hopefully you don't have any kids around the dog.
You sound like a real piece of work. Why do you post shit like this?

My family's dog was a rescue...beated by his owner and left for dead chained up in the middle of the dessert. When the rescue found him he was skin and bones and flies were picking at what was left of him. To this day he's scared to death of flying insects but he's been the best companion I've ever seen. When he visits he sleeps at the base of my son's crib and the first thing he does when I drive over is jump in the back seat of the car looking for him. While my son is far too young to understand what's going on that dog has loved him since day one and recognizes that he's part of the pack. Our dog clearly knows he's been saved and who did it.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Rescue dogs are great.

We have an Australian Cattle dog we rescued when he was a pup (5 years ago). He was about 4 months old when we got him and he didn't know how to walk since he lived in his kennel the entire 4 months. We had to literally carry him to the car.

Fast forward 5 years he's the smartest, friendliest dog we know. Great with kids and other dogs and does a great job protecting our acreage from pests.

In fact, tomorrow, he's got an audition for a dog food commercial. Hope he gets it!

Zemedici

Established Member

I'm convinced you NEVER have any idea what you're talking about, and now that I've come to that conclusion, your posts are hilarious.

Good for you, OP. I've been fostering dogs for 10 years now, no issues. My Mom LOVES fostering

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Why would you want all that mess on your hands? Those dogs are damaged bro
Because not every one is a piece of shit...

OP, do you have a GoFundMe or anything setup to raise funds? I'd like to donate to get him fixed up and suspect others here will too...well some anyway.

I have a rescue and he's awesome, but a little skittish. Suspect it's because of the shelter he was in, half of it burned down. So the owners were scrambling to get those that survived adopted. He's 9 now and everyone still thinks he's a puppy.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

You clearly aren't a dog person. There is nothing wrong with rescuing a dog, and rescues can be the best pets you can have. Sure they can take a little work at first, but it's worth it in the end.

Here's my rescue.
f5c8fbc71f1bf08226adfc3686fb1558.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Well, he got to our house around noon yesterday. He had a long ride so he was excited to get out of the car. We have a little Boston terrier mix that's around 12 so our main concern was that he wouldn't be too rough for her. She promptly made it known that she wouldn't put up with his rough play. He didn't seem to mind our cat too much and is really a very sweet dog. We're glad to have him and I think he'll adjust well. He needs some consistency in his training and an outlet for his energy but otherwise a good dog. We should be moving to our new house in the country with more land which will be good for him. I'm hoping we can have the surgery done early summer. My wife is a teacher and it would be nice to have her home with him during the recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread