Adopting a rescue dog

SNCBOOM

Established Member
15698353_1337954939587909_7307553131545603321_n.jpg

We lost our beloved doberman, Dozer this past September. He had just turned 10 years old but cancer got the best of my boy. It was a tough loss for me, he was my first "inside dog" and the first that I raised myself as an adult. I love the doberman breed and we wanted to get another dog so we looked around at local breeders but we eventually decided to try to rescue a younger dog. Fast forward a month or so and we'll be officially fostering a 1 year old dog starting tomorrow. He had a shitty past, his former owner ran over his leg with a dump truck. He did have leg addressed but never followed up so one of his front legs is severely deformed. The rescue is currently raising the funds [$3,000] for corrective surgery. We've made several donations and ultimately decided that we would like to adopt this boy. We'll be fostering him throughout his surgery and after-care. I'm excited but a little anxious to have a new dog in the house.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Why would you want all that mess on your hands? Those dogs are damaged bro

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Why would you want all that mess on your hands? Those dogs are damaged bro

I'd like to give him a good home and a better future. I don't mind a little work. The original owner was going to put him down but his neighbor stepped in. Even if his leg has to be amputated we will work with him. I'm guessing that you've never been around a dobie. They're one of the most loyal and loving breeds out there.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
I'd like to give him a good home and a better future. I don't mind a little work. The original owner was going to put him down but his neighbor stepped in. Even if his leg has to be amputated we will work with him. I'm guessing that you've never been around a dobie. They're one of the most loyal and loving breeds out there.
Well hopefully you don't have any kids around the dog.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yeah, his current foster says that he's very sweet but has a lot of energy. We'll be moving to our new house with 5 acres in the next month so I think we'll be in good shape. He needs some mental and physical stimulation.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
He didn't have a great experience, no. He just needs some authority in his life. I know their ways and will address it accordingly. I'm also so happy to have another big dog in the house.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
damn people can be shitty but sounds like you all will give him a good life. I hope they can fix his leg.
^^This. Good on you and your wife!!
I hope all goes well with his surgery and they can fix his leg. Good luck and keep us updated.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Both of our dogs are rescues. Both have been great. Several years back we tried a third from the same rescue and wound up with a dog that could not be tamed. He constantly fought with our first hound who is the most easy going dog I've ever met, would not listen at all, would think you were playing if you smacked his snout after he didn't listen, and was a general terror. We had to give him back to the rescue at the end of the 30 day "trial period." If it wasn't for him not getting along with our existing two dogs we probably would have stuck it out and made it work but it just wasn't fair to keep him around. Our next dog will probably be a puppy so that our kids can grow up with it but otherwise we'll probably keep rescuing dogs when we can.

josephcostello

Established Member
OP, good on you for what you're doing. Still boggles my mind how some people can be so cold. You're giving that dog the quality of life it deserves. My family loves dogs and have almost always had rescue dogs. My mom rescued a little chihuahua as it was left abandoned at her friends front door step one night. It's been a great dog for her and helped with a recovery process she went through. Im sure it will turn out to be a great dog for you.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Zombies are a different breed , but since you have had the experience in the past , I am sure you will be fine .
Glad to see you have the desire to help him thru .
All breeds ,whether mixed or not , have their quirks , but ultimately are only as good as their owner.
Good job.

mdever12

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the loss of Dozer. We lost one of our GSD a few months ago. The loss of a dog is not to be taken lightly.

My aunt and uncle have rescued 3 dogs now. Their current one is a Great Pyrenees. I've been around dogs my whole life, and have yet to meet a dog as kind or as loving as she is. (Was abused and barely fed by previous owner.)

The "bro" who posted above, claiming rescues are a handful and damaged/bad with children has no clue what he or she is talking about.

It's awesome that you and your wife are willing to work with the dog's medical situation. Hope everything goes well. Looks like he'a a happy one!

4a7191a

Established Member
Awesome op.
I've got a Dane right now and have been looking around for a young Doberman to be his buddy in his older years. Hopefully pick up some of his habits along the way.
I too am up for adopting a rescue Doberman as well.
I hope his leg is able to be fixed. I've seen worse to be honest.
My best friend Doberman broke his femor falling out if a tree house. It was costly but he walked / ran normal again in the end.
And yes... He would climb the ladder of the tree house and use it for his dog house. Lol

Famine

Established Member
Im truly sorry for your loss on a different level. I have a 3 year old dobie named miesha. Next to my son and wife, she is my complete world. No other breed compares despite my love for all dogs. Good luck with the rescue and thanks for giving back to an animal that deserves better. I hope one day they make it mandatory to punish the owners by the same method or worse.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Good for you! I lost my boy around the same time. He hung in there for almost 13 years. He was also a rescue. Best dog I've ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread