Added 310 Pulley

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by dmreitz
So, I am reading this right - that the 3.10 pulley makes more consistent boost throughout the RPM range than the 2.93 or the 2.8?

Yes, you are reading that correctly. First of all, Jimmy V. TELLS IT LIKE IT IS. He won't pad results or lie about bolt-ons for ANYONE.

There are many factors that play into the pulley size issue. For starters, there's efficiency. Most of us that run smaller pulleys (2.8 to 3.0) are losing boost in the upper RPM range.

The reason for that loss of boost is something that we are still trying to ascertain. But there are some theories:

1. The computer is sensing hot air from the blower being overspun and is dumping boost and/or pulling timing.
2. Belt slippage.
3. Turbulance in the inlet plumbing.

It is probably some combination of the three.

While we haven't reached the bottom line yet, it appears that a 3-3.10 pulley will yield the best possible results from the stock Eaton blower.

when Jim Vaccaro posts results, you can rest assured that they are accurate and unpadded.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
While we haven't reached the bottom line yet, it appears that a 3-3.10 pulley will yield the best possible results from the stock Eaton blower.

Now you tell me. :)

:beer:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by Hammer
Yes, you are reading that correctly. First of all, Jimmy V. TELLS IT LIKE IT IS. He won't pad results or lie about bolt-ons for ANYONE.

There are many factors that play into the pulley size issue. For starters, there's efficiency. Most of us that run smaller pulleys (2.8 to 3.0) are losing boost in the upper RPM range.

The reason for that loss of boost is something that we are still trying to ascertain. But there are some theories:

1. The computer is sensing hot air from the blower being overspun and is dumping boost and/or pulling timing.
2. Belt slippage.
3. Turbulance in the inlet plumbing.

It is probably some combination of the three.

when Jim Vaccaro posts results, you can rest assured that they are accurate and unpadded.

Thanks for the info Hammer (and I hope no one took my post as any type of flame - not intended that way)... I was just looking for a bit more info on why that was the case! :)

Thanks again!

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Just single blade?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ObieFox
Jim,
Did you only upgrade to Paul's Single blade TB or did you do the TB and blower intake elbow? Is the 3.1 pulley a press on?

Thanks,

KO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
Yes,,Yes and Yes.........:)

Jim V.
Jim, one question. Is this available to the public? I didn't see it on Paul's website.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Great numbers JV!!!!!! I was getting ready to do the 3.2....... I suspected that "sweet spot" of the Eaton was somewhere in that size. Glad I have been patient with the mods Guess we all have more good R & D from you!! Thank you very much.

gary

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
The MM/FF car with Lightning Pulley got 441rwhp and 458 tqe with 14 1/2 lbs..
I got 456rwhp and 455 tqe with just 13lbs.
both used corrected STD numbers.I would think this is evident of a more effecient setup.
Remember unlike the MM/FF testing with ice and 1 hr cool downs.
I use off the street dyno pulls and the following pulls are done at 15 min intervals with only the fan running.

Jim V.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Z06_2002
Now you tell me. :)

Yeah, better late than never. Besides, we're still waiting for your technical contributions to the scene.

And there's no charge for the free info. Your welcome.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Yeah, better late than never. Besides, we're still waiting for your technical contributions to the scene.

And there's no charge for the free info. Your welcome.

The only technical contribution I can add is the fact I learned how to modify my pulleyboys.com puller to remove my own pulley, other than that I have learned more about Cobra's in the last three weeks thanks to all the helpful information that is posted.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
03Dohc:
Jim, one question. Is this available to the public? I didn't see it on Paul's website.

Yes!! Paul is selling them.

Jim V.

Hammer

Established Member
The only technical contribution I can add is the fact I learned how to modify my pulleyboys.com puller to remove my own pulley, other than that I have learned more about Cobra's in the last three weeks thanks to all the helpful information that is posted.

Great. Glad to see that the REAL info posted on this site is helping people out. There's a small amount of people that are responsible for that.

It's all about supporting the scene and helping each other (hence the infomative posts) but a little expression of appreciation goes a lot further than "now you tell me".

There's already a few "03 pioneers" who won't post valuable info on this site anymore because of all the whiners and talk-the-talk wannabes (believe me, I know). Comments like yours will only make matters worse.

The informative posts come from trial and error, wasting money on parts, wasted time, frustration, etc. Some are gracious enough to pass on the info so others don't have to make the same mistakes. But sideways responses will quickly poison that spirit of 03 fellowship.

So Removith Thy Head From Thy Bung.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Where is mjchip? He is the pulley size, blower speed, math wizard around here :-D Tell us mjchip, how fast is the blower going to turn with the 3.10 pulley? :read: And what was Eaton's max RPM rating? (sorry I forgot) Thanks for your input on this very interesting subject. :thumbsup:

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Great. Glad to see that the REAL info posted on this site is helping people out. There's a small amount of people that are responsible for that.

It's all about supporting the scene and helping each other (hence the infomative posts) but a little expression of appreciation goes a lot further than "now you tell me".

There's already a few "03 pioneers" who won't post valuable info on this site anymore because of all the whiners and talk-the-talk wannabes (believe me, I know). Comments like yours will only make matters worse.

The informative posts come from trial and error, wasting money on parts, wasted time, frustration, etc. Some are gracious enough to pass on the info so others don't have to make the same mistakes. But sideways responses will quickly poison that spirit of 03 fellowship.

So Removith Thy Head From Thy Bung.

Perhaps you mistook my post, that is why I purposely put a smiley next to it. I will stay away from your posts in the future.
Have a good one.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Different mods dynoed at different intervals give different results.
Example: From Memory my power mods:
My 03 Cobra mods as dynoed
Stock with K&N 371
Mac Catback 390
Following day baseline 394
Cool air kit & Chip 421
Bassani cat X Pipe 429
Ngk tr6 Plugs @40 434
PHP TB and Plenum 443
310 pulley and Pulley chip 456

If i added the pulley first,It would of showed a more impressive gain.
If i added the X pipe before the catback.The x pipe would of showed a better gain.

Jim V.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
Where is mjchip? He is the pulley size, blower speed, math wizard around here :-D Tell us mjchip, how fast is the blower going to turn with the 3.10 pulley? :read: And what was Eaton's max RPM rating? (sorry I forgot) Thanks for your input on this very interesting subject. :thumbsup:

My math (not my best subject) tells me that the 310 pulley @ 6500 rpms is close to the blowers recommended limits.

Jim V.

Hammer

Established Member
I will stay away from your posts in the future.

That's your best bet. And take the whining to your Z06 boards.

:) <---- that means I'm just joking.

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
That's your best bet. And take the whining to your Z06 boards.

:) <---- that means I'm just joking.

And that is exactly what I put in the post of now you tell me, try scrolling back a little. I don't need to whine nor did I. You are just some sour on life little negative immature and thinks he knows it all, and just because you are a stock boy somewhere you hate the world.

:loser:

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Hammer is there a special reason you are giving Z06_2002 a hard time. He has a 03 just like the rest of us and that "now you tell me" appears to me that he is regretting the fact he has the UPR upper which I believe is 2.8.

By my math the ~3.1 upper with the stock ~7.5 lower will turn the supercharger at ~15,725.8 rpm. For comparison the stock upper ~3.75 is ~13,000 rpm and the lightning ~2.95 is ~16,525.4 rpm.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Hammer is there a special reason you are giving Z06_2002 a hard time. He has a 03 just like the rest of us and that "now you tell me" appears to me that he is regretting the fact he has the UPR upper which I believe is 2.8.

By my math the ~3.1 upper with the stock ~7.5 lower will turn the supercharger at ~15,725.8 rpm. For comparison the stock upper ~3.75 is ~13,000 rpm and the lightning ~2.95 is ~16,525.4 rpm.

Isn't the stock upper 3.65?:??:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
Isn't the stock upper 3.65?:??:

No I am pretty sure it is 3.75, which btw is exactly half the size of the lower.

Also I was just on Pulley Boys site to take a look at there puller again and now they are modifying it to work specifically on the 03 because there are some interference problems with the intercooler and are going to start making pulleys soon.

Puller

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
No I am pretty sure it is 3.75, which btw is exactly half the size of the lower.

Also I was just on Pulley Boys site to take a look at there puller again and now they are modifying it to work specifically on the 03 because there are some interference problems with the intercooler and are going to start making pulleys soon.

Puller

Hang on toofast4u I will go take a digital picture and post it shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread