About to buy an 03 Cobra....have a question about my test drive

shelbygt

Established Member
I have never driven or even rode in a Terminator and I am coming from a 98 Cobra. This 03 Cobra steers straight at highway speed, but the car seems sloppy when turning from side to side while cruising. It feels like driving on nearly flat tires and seems slow to react. Is this normal? The car does have some new "meaty" 10.5 rims in the back and 9.5 in the front as well as welded in sub-frame connectors.
I just want to be sure before I buy.
Thanks!
Dave

mrose75

Established Member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no, it's not normal. No car should handle like it's on flat tires. But then again it's all relative to what you are currently driving. If you're driving a Ferrari 458, a terminator might feel sloppy. But coming from an older Cobra, if it doesn't feel right, I say go find another.

shelbygt

Established Member
Think it might be worn shocks? The car has not been beaten as far as I can tell, but it has 80k miles and they may be original.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Sloppy as in play in the steering wheel, or does it drift around? I know mine will follow ruts in the road and if the tires are low on air it'll feel different. Might want to check the tire pressure to rule that out. How many miles on it?

shelbygt

Established Member
No play in the wheel and it does not drift around at all. I guess I would say it reacts quickly but is not tight but mushy. I drove to see thew car about 3 hours away and had about 20 minutes to look the car over as the owner was late for work and waited for me to come see it. The car drives dead straight and does not follow the ruts like my 98 did, but the body rolling I guess it could be described is worse. No suspension noises and he said it was just aligned. 80k miles.

Last edited:

shelbygt

Established Member
The tires looked fine but I don't know.....
yellowcobra0.JPG

mysticvenom623

Established Member
Can you take it to a mechanic in the area for a look over? Was the front sway bar removed? Maybe bad bushings?

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I went from a highly modified 2005 Audi S4 to the Cobra. The Cobra is a mushy mess compared to the Audi. Aluminum steering rack bushings helped out a lot. The rest of the slop is either play in the rack, steering linkage, or maybe just the control arms flexing in their rubber bushings.

So yeah, I would say it's normal

racebronco2

Established Member
From the picture it looks like the front tires are almost even with the fenders and the rear tires are in from the fenders. It looks like the offset in front is the problem. The fronts will grab the ruts/seams in the road sooner than the rears. I would say that the fronts are 9" rims not 9.5's unless they are not stock fronts.

10sec89

Established Member
Does this car have some scratches on the bumpers and a cracked third brake light? If so it has been sold a few times in the last 2 years locally, I drove it when it was at Ford of Port Richey if it's the one I am thinking of.

cobracide

Established Member
Maybe he's just not used to a sloppy nose heavy Mustang? :) Drive another new edge '99,01 or '03-04 Cobra. Compare. The new edge will be a bit more nimble than the 3/4. It's not exactly a "curve hugger" in stock form. Not bad for what it is though.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to suggest trying to find another '03-'04 Cobra, too. Especially since this was the first one you've ever driven or rode in.

shelbygt

Established Member
Does this car have some scratches on the bumpers and a cracked third brake light? If so it has been sold a few times in the last 2 years locally, I drove it when it was at Ford of Port Richey if it's the one I am thinking of.

I don't think it is the same car. This car is from south Florida. It does have a cracked 3rd brake light, but that seems like a common flaw in the design of all 03/04s.
He has had it for about 7 months and is selling due to a divorce. Everything he has said about the car has been accurate according to the Autocheck records. .

The price is $14k with 80k miles. It has a pulley, CAI, catted X pipe and Maglaflow exhaust, Diablo tuner and welded sub-frame connectors. The car is very nice and the only thing I noticed was the handling when swerving left and right at speed and the brakes need to be done. I Did all the work on my 98 Cobra (completely rebuilt the rear end,, replaced the clutch, brakes, removed and cleaned the IMRCs, etc) so working on suspension pieces should not be too difficult and I have a car lift which make life easier. I was just thinking the symptoms might be common. The car currently has reproduction Cobra rims but he is including the originals as well.

My 98 Cobra was totaled 2 weeks ago and prior to that, I had planned on getting a newer Shelby soon, but for a few more grand (insurance is giving me $9k for my old car) I can also have a Terminator.

CallMeWonder

Established Member
Sloppy as in play in the steering wheel, or does it drift around? I know mine will follow ruts in the road and if the tires are low on air it'll feel different. Might want to check the tire pressure to rule that out. How many miles on it?

+1 to this guy.

My car will also follow ruts in the road on stock wheel/tire set up. (my car has 7500 miles)

just thought i'd put in my .02

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I went from a highly modified 2005 Audi S4 to the Cobra. The Cobra is a mushy mess compared to the Audi. Aluminum steering rack bushings helped out a lot. The rest of the slop is either play in the rack, steering linkage, or maybe just the control arms flexing in their rubber bushings.

So yeah, I would say it's normal

+1

With 80k miles it could have some real spongy feeling bushings. Alum steering rack bushings make significant difference on a low mile car, much less 80k. Cheap and easy job, too.

Users who are viewing this thread