98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
believe it or not, we used a rag soaked in gas to remove tint on my buddies notch years ago. It literally falls off lol

So I will test gas in the steamer!

Another option to remove the tint is black trash bags.

Make sure the car is outside and in direct sunlight. Spray the outside of the window with windex then lay the trash bag over the window and tape it on. Let that sit there for about an hour. Open the door and pick at the edge of the tint and you’ll be able to remove the sheet completely.

I’ve been doing that for years.

Ill do this since its cheap and easy... I live in AZ so it will get nice n hot!

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
haven't tried the trash bag technique yet, but I understood you spray the tint and let the bag stick to that in the heat then pull it off. I don't know how spraying the outside of the window with windex or any other spray cleaner and lay the bag on that will do anything to the tint on the inside.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
haven't tried the trash bag technique yet, but I understood you spray the tint and let the bag stick to that in the heat then pull it off. I don't know how spraying the outside of the window with windex or any other spray cleaner and lay the bag on that will do anything to the tint on the inside.

With the black bag it heats up the tint glue to the point where when you rip off the tint there is no residue left behind.

Sort of the same deal as the steam gun by using heat.

CSG

Established Member
I also had a 98 Cobra dedicated RR car. I would research the Bondurant Corba cars (what mine was) for ideas. IIRC mine had a V10 water pump & a factory radiator off of something else. I ran a few suspension setups and finished with a MM setup up front & the Roush fabricated TA & PHB along with MM struts/shocks. I set pole with that setup in 90% of my races. GL with yours

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
With the black bag it heats up the tint glue to the point where when you rip off the tint there is no residue left behind.

Sort of the same deal as the steam gun by using heat.

Thanks, but I understand that, I was just saying I think you have to spray inside, on the tint and put the bag on the tint rather than what you had indicated about doing it on the outside of the glass.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, but I understand that, I was just saying I think you have to spray inside, on the tint and put the bag on the tint rather than what you had indicated about doing it on the outside of the glass.

Gotcha. Just speaking about my experiences utilizing the outside section of the window.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I ended up buying a steamer for $30 on amazon with next day free delivery.

It was super simple!

27152453467_85953bdea6_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
28149253238_3f2a525883_k.jpg

41977868912_44a155e8bc_k.jpg

And since my last couple buckets were ruined when I went down... Picked up a new lid.

Bell Star.. $200 bucks on closeout. This is more than double that normal price.

41977869032_3cf9d3d182_k.jpg
41977868982_3104dac653_k.jpg

wkornf

Established Member
nice job, what steamer? I'm going to do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
nice job, what steamer? I'm going to do the same thing.

Did you steam the outside, inside, or both?

I used this one here.

I just steamed the inside for about 20-30 seconds in a 1ft x 1ft square at the corner. Piked the edge to get it peeled back and then slowly pulled. On the rear window I cut it in the center so it wasnt too big of a piece to manage. The quarter windows and the side windows I just pulled slow and moved the heat just in front of where i was pulling.

I didnt use any ammonia or other bags. just hit the inside with steam.

There was a few very small pieces that it left behind I needed to razor blade but all in all, the main work took me about 30-40 minutes. the clean up of the residue was another 15-20 min. all in I was a little over an hour into removing it. Saved me money! Thanks to those who suggested it. now I dont have to iron anymore either.

wkornf

Established Member
thanks for the write up. I'm following along with a similar build of my own. got 50 miles on a freshly rebuilt 4v. plan is similar to the yours but I'll be sticking with IRS.
c573579e5fd0496badf6b8124d35324c.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Yesterday my MM front stainless braided brake lines showed up along with J&M rears. MM doesn't make rears so I opted to do a mix of brands.

Out with the old.

27189469947_c76e0e269c_k.jpg

In with the new.

27189469707_d50a6db922_k.jpg
40251710950_104387196d_k.jpg

I neglected to get any photos of the fronts simply because they were messy and I was battling with getting tired and wanting to finish it up before midnight.

Earlier in the night I got my black cobra letters... Just because she's a track car doesn't mean she can't look fancy too! I also took vinyl and wrapped the bottom piece of the rear bumper. Looks much better to me. As you can see in this pic the body lines in the rear are all messed up. Biggest reason I don't care to fix this car and keep it clean.

42059470711_7bc3a17997_k.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread