98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

MG01GT

Established Member
I always get mild amusement over the mentality some people bring to the table... hey throw 30k at the car, it will make you Mario Andretti... when I had my S1000RR I always had to watch out for dudes on 600's cause they could straight crush your soul in the corners. Anything in Road racing is all fundamentals, that most people don't tend to think about IE corner entry, apex, exit and braking. Your car can be a ****ing Ferrari, but if you don't have the basic fundamentals down you could easily run Pinto times around the track. Love what your doing for your build man! Any brake upgrades in store?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I always get mild amusement over the mentality some people bring to the table... hey throw 30k at the car, it will make you Mario Andretti... when I had my S1000RR I always had to watch out for dudes on 600's cause they could straight crush your soul in the corners. Anything in Road racing is all fundamentals, that most people don't tend to think about IE corner entry, apex, exit and braking. Your car can be a ****ing Ferrari, but if you don't have the basic fundamentals down you could easily run Pinto times around the track. Love what your doing for your build man! Any brake upgrades in store?

I agree totally. I can remember on my 600 I would fly by 1000cc bikes in the corners because they werent great riders. In the same corner I would get passed by a 250 by a great rider.

Everyone preaches, seat time is more important than mods. I agree with that which is why im not going all in building this thing to the max yet. I will get comfortable and slowly build it up as I get better. I probably cant push the car past its limits in factory form so worrying about if griggs is better than MM is kind of useless at this point.

As of right now the plan is to go with some upgraded rotors and some better pads. First track day is the 19th and 20th and it will be in stock form for that. I will see how it does out of the box.

MG01GT

Established Member
I agree totally. I can remember on my 600 I would fly by 1000cc bikes in the corners because they werent great riders. In the same corner I would get passed by a 250 by a great rider.

Everyone preaches, seat time is more important than mods. I agree with that which is why im not going all in building this thing to the max yet. I will get comfortable and slowly build it up as I get better. I probably cant push the car past its limits in factory form so worrying about if griggs is better than MM is kind of useless at this point.

As of right now the plan is to go with some upgraded rotors and some better pads. First track day is the 19th and 20th and it will be in stock form for that. I will see how it does out of the box.
Lol I may or may have not been embarrassed by a guy on a 250.... but he's a good friend and phenomenal rider. We went to YCRS together and man talk about eye opening.

I think you have a solid plan going for this car.... probably gunna hurt some feelings with it too lol. I would recommend braided brake lines..... the stock ones tend to do not so good when they are heat soaked.

Coiled03

Established Member
Lol I may or may have not been embarrassed by a guy on a 250.... but he's a good friend and phenomenal rider. We went to YCRS together and man talk about eye opening.

I think you have a solid plan going for this car.... probably gunna hurt some feelings with it too lol. I would recommend braided brake lines..... the stock ones tend to do not so good when they are heat soaked.

I've got some MM stainless braided lines for the rear for sale in the market. Just saying lol.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

Funny @MFE told me the same thing about the braided lines.

I've got some MM stainless braided lines for the rear for sale in the market. Just saying lol.

I will look for it!

MG01GT

Established Member
Interesting...... I have had them in all my cars and it was much improved. That and most bikes are coming from the factory with them already, so I would have to say there has to be some merit to having them besides for better pedal feel. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Either way I still think you got a solid plan going forward!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Interesting...... I have had them in all my cars and it was much improved. That and most bikes are coming from the factory with them already, so I would have to say there has to be some merit to having them besides for better pedal feel. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Either way I still think you got a solid plan going forward!

No, I was saying he gave me the same advice. Run the braided lines. So you’re the second person to suggest it.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Ohhh...that's right. Sorry about that.

All good man.

Car is going in to remove tint from the windows this week. Couple reasons, the drivers door had the tint ripped off and now has a sticky layer so it doesn't roll up and down well with it sticking. Second is eventually I will need to remove it as they require no tint in certain NASA classes.

Also ordered MM stainless brake lines to install before the event.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
All good man.

Car is going in to remove tint from the windows this week. Couple reasons, the drivers door had the tint ripped off and now has a sticky layer so it doesn't roll up and down well with it sticking. Second is eventually I will need to remove it as they require no tint in certain NASA classes.

Also ordered MM stainless brake lines to install before the event.

Not sure if you’re paying someone to remove the tint or not but you can buy a steam cleaner off Amazon for around $50 and it takes tint and all residual glue clean off the windows. Is also handy for cleaning the car. Just a thought.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Not sure if you’re paying someone to remove the tint or not but you can buy a steam cleaner off Amazon for around $50 and it takes tint and all residual glue clean off the windows. Is also handy for cleaning the car. Just a thought.

I was going to get it done for 60 bucks but now that you mention it. I may try to find someone who has one and just borrow it and give it a shot. I know I have heard of people doing it but haven't ever tried it. Thanks for reminding me this is a "budget build" lol.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I was going to get it done for 60 bucks but now that you mention it. I may try to find someone who has one and just borrow it and give it a shot. I know I have heard of people doing it but haven't ever tried it. Thanks for reminding me this is a "budget build" lol.

I figure the more money you save on the little things the sooner you get to the suspension work!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member

believe it or not, we used a rag soaked in gas to remove tint on my buddies notch years ago. It literally falls off lol

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Another option to remove the tint is black trash bags.

Make sure the car is outside and in direct sunlight. Spray the outside of the window with windex then lay the trash bag over the window and tape it on. Let that sit there for about an hour. Open the door and pick at the edge of the tint and you’ll be able to remove the sheet completely.

I’ve been doing that for years.

Users who are viewing this thread