98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Why would you want/need a fan though?
Diff won't get hot when it's not in use, and when it is in use, the ducting would cool it off

These are all ideas I’m tossing around. I’m not committed to running the ducts. I’m not even sure I would get enough air flow through them to cool it down. All the name brands are using fans so I know that works.

I do like the idea of bringing my car into the paddock and being able to keep the fans and pump running to cool the fluid down.

smitty2919

Established Member
To add fuel to the fire...

If you go with a side scoop only approach you need to make sure that 1) the scoops can get pressurized air to actually go THROUGH the ducting AND cooler and 2) have a low pressure zone to exhaust the air. If you go through the side scoop ducting, through the trunk then the H/E is in the trunk and exhausted to the area under the rear trunk it's possible that there is not a low pressure zone due to a possible "parachute" effect from the rear IRS and bumper cover....this is where a rear diffuser will come into play.....and it snowballs LOL

Otherwise you are better off doing a simple proven method of using a small heat exchanger/fan assembly you can mount almost anywhere. Run a small H/E up front for the trans with no fan and a small one in under the trunk with a fan for the diff. Or also run a H/E up front with no fan for the diff as well and allow the long length of piping to also cool the fluid as undercarriage air passes over it.

Either way I would get temp sensors on the trans and diff to see where you are for temps and if you REALLY need coolers to begin with or if you can simply use a better fluid with higher heat range and be safe.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
To add fuel to the fire...

If you go with a side scoop only approach you need to make sure that 1) the scoops can get pressurized air to actually go THROUGH the ducting AND cooler and 2) have a low pressure zone to exhaust the air. If you go through the side scoop ducting, through the trunk then the H/E is in the trunk and exhausted to the area under the rear trunk it's possible that there is not a low pressure zone due to a possible "parachute" effect from the rear IRS and bumper cover....this is where a rear diffuser will come into play.....and it snowballs LOL

Otherwise you are better off doing a simple proven method of using a small heat exchanger/fan assembly you can mount almost anywhere. Run a small H/E up front for the trans with no fan and a small one in under the trunk with a fan for the diff. Or also run a H/E up front with no fan for the diff as well and allow the long length of piping to also cool the fluid as undercarriage air passes over it.

Either way I would get temp sensors on the trans and diff to see where you are for temps and if you REALLY need coolers to begin with or if you can simply use a better fluid with higher heat range and be safe.

There are the vents in the trunk area I could always use to exhaust...

I am thinking that it might be easiest to just run a small fan lol. I plan on running temp sensors as well. I want to wire the pump and fan to be hot so I can shut the car down while still cooling the fluid after my run.

Good thoughts everyone, keep the ideas coming!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would do sensor first and a good 75w140.

If it's not getting over 270 degrees on track, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just change the fluid every 5-10 hours of track time.

My old mustang would see over that and Ford said it was within the operating range.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Got my FTBR kit in today! Started removing the old stuff!

29017315758_45fb4ad69b_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
42171100174_e2a8836a49_k.jpg
41079173500_fc3a844254_k.jpg
42171099714_5a853c6c39_k.jpg
42171100214_5d7acb3c33_k.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
How do you know? Have you checked the temps with and without the vents?

On the earlier (94-95) models they don't cool anything really, its just a functional scoop that vents into the rear wheel well. So it doesnt really cool anything. Its functional in the fact that it flows air, non functional in the sense it has no real effective use.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
On the earlier (94-95) models they don't cool anything really, its just a functional scoop that vents into the rear wheel well. So it doesnt really cool anything. Its functional in the fact that it flows air, non functional in the sense it has no real effective use.
that's what I always thought, however he said it's "great at cooling", so i thought he had some data. it always annoyed me that the 96-98 vents were sealed up, but i didn't see the geometry and placement of the vent being able to flow much air anyway.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
that's what I always thought, however he said it's "great at cooling", so i thought he had some data. it always annoyed me that the 96-98 vents were sealed up, but i didn't see the geometry and placement of the vent being able to flow much air anyway.

I just removed my vents and they are a simple snap on plate in the rear of the scoop and now its functional in grabbing air. but you are right, i would need to make a tight bend and almost go backwards to get air to flow in. I am looking into other solutions or ideas of what i can do with that air.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I have some friends visiting from Chicago so I haven't been working on the car much however I did get to clean up in the garage and clean up the IRS, drill for some grease fittings and press in some bushings. If you can recall I wanted to powder coat the IRS frame but I don't want to go crazy so I cleaned it up a bit.

Holes drilled
42963165152_54390390ec_k.jpg
42963164902_0342bda8ff_k.jpg

All cleaned up and bushings pressed in.

42293290684_99fa0b1c38_k.jpg
29139524158_daad98b75a_k.jpg
42293290344_f37a4e25b7_k.jpg
29139524278_d6779197c5_k.jpg
42293290674_b6c6d8fce5_k.jpg

Last but not least, Tilton pump and diff fluid cooler. Just need to drill and tap the diff cover for feed and return. Need lines and a check valve then its ready to go in.

29140527198_dc58368e25_k.jpg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Tony,

Did you go with the FTBR Ford Racing cover? Or just the stock cover? After having both in my hand.. I can not believe how much thicker my LPW was over the stock one. It's comparing paper to an entire tree lol

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Tony,

Did you go with the FTBR Ford Racing cover? Or just the stock cover? After having both in my hand.. I can not believe how much thicker my LPW was over the stock one. It's comparing paper to an entire tree lol

I’m running the stock cover with a brace. That was already on it when I got it so I’m trying to save money by not going to the upgraded unit.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I’m running the stock cover with a brace. That was already on it when I got it so I’m trying to save money by not going to the upgraded unit.

If you need an extra one to chop up, let me know. I have my stock 03/04 one.

Also, I can tell you that after driving the FTBR IRS.. WOW be prepared to be impressed. My cars not even aligned and it was such a dramatic difference.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Been pretty quiet as its been hard to find my motivation lately... but im slowly getting my IRS put back together.

41456142450_c88c54ec08_k.jpg
43216483922_eb05b78976_k.jpg

But the real exciting part now is.... I am going to be pulling the trigger on this real soon!!! Hows that for "budget build" lol.

43216482852_01c8145416_b.jpg

Now the only task is finding somewhere to put my 85 while I tear down my 98. Im in the process of trying to find a large drive in storage unit that will be air conditioned for two months.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Been pretty quiet as its been hard to find my motivation lately... but im slowly getting my IRS put back together.

View attachment 1500021Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
View attachment 1500022Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

But the real exciting part now is.... I am going to be pulling the trigger on this real soon!!! Hows that for "budget build" lol.

View attachment 1500023Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Now the only task is finding somewhere to put my 85 while I tear down my 98. Im in the process of trying to find a large drive in storage unit that will be air conditioned for two months.

Just a heads up, if you go to the "packages" page on the MM site, their is a K member package. Includes a lot of what you have on your list.
Around $1800

Users who are viewing this thread