97 Teksid bore size and 03/04 C head questions?

FMD

Established Member
Hey guys, couple of quickies
My machine shop finally got back to me about my block, its a 97 block which had 95k or so before teardown, my guy told me that the stock bore size in his catalog for this block should be 3.551, while online its telling him 3.552. The issue is hes saying every single cylinder is coming back as in between 3.553 and 3.5535, and since every single one is this size, hes saying its mostly impossible that its wear and that its got to be either stock like that, or something else. Any input? I need to call him tommorow to go forward with it.

Lastly, I also just purchased a set of 2003 Cobra C heads, complete, with only 35k on them for 1200$ on ebay. Only now did I realize that, aparently, the 03 had slightly different heads than the 04, aparently the ones I just bought have 4 threads instead of 9 for the spark plugs, and also the cooling on the 03 is worse than the 04? Can anybody sort this out and tell me whether or not this would still be good for my build? Im going to have it all ported and polished anyway but now im slightly worried.

Also, just a quick tidbit.. Which rods/pistons brands are the best? Ive heard eagle and diamond so far, now that I know the block is good im starting to order everything. Thanks again!

@slo984now , if you could chime in that would be awesome haha.

FMD

Established Member
@buckchoklit , Yeah I knew that, my only question was how much would that .001 to .0015 affect it?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Any quality machine shop should be able to clean up that block. However, I wouldn't have a shop that isn't thoroughly familiar with modular engines machine the block.

I think you're confusing Cobra heads with Lightning heads. I don't believe the Cobra heads gained threads during those years.

As for the rods, the best depends on your budget and goals.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Any quality machine shop should be able to clean up that block. However, I wouldn't have a shop that isn't thoroughly familiar with modular engines machine the block.

I think you're confusing Cobra heads with Lightning heads. I don't believe the Cobra heads gained threads during those years.

As for the rods, the best depends on your budget and goals.

The 04 Heads did go 4 to 9 thread.

OP, you could do a few things for the threads; you could do a insert or some stitch thing which I was told is better. As far as the block, do a .020 bore since it needs to be cleaned.

oldmodman

Established Member
Since the block will have to be bored to the size of the pistons that you order the current size is not really relevant.

Just remember that if you are going to go with ARP studs for the main and the heads make sure the block is bored using the studs to clamp down the torque plate and the mains are torqued to whatever

you will be using for your final assembly. If you don't do this your bores may not only NOT come out round but there could be quite a bit of taper from the top of the cylinder to the bottom.

With the heads it doesn't really matter what year car they were from. The final, improved cooling passage and 9 spark plug threads wasn't released until sometime in 2005 and beyond.

Whatever head you end up going with take them to a first rate head shop for a good valve job, new guides properly sized to the valve stems (the factory guides are not particularly well done) and new valve seals.

And if you want to get them ported now is the time to get it done.

Or you could just buy a set of there Roush/Yates already ported 9 thread heads.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ylinder-heads-BRAND-NEW&highlight=roush+heads

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The 04 Heads did go 4 to 9 thread.

OP, you could do a few things for the threads; you could do a insert or some stitch thing which I was told is better. As far as the block, do a .020 bore since it needs to be cleaned.

Must have lost that bit of info out of my head in the last decade. :shrug:

GodStang

Established Member
There were 3 or 4 different runs of heads for 03-05 heads. Reason I say 05 is the final revision came out in 05. They fixed oil passages and cooling and did go from 4 threads to 9 threads at some point in 03 or 04. The heads that came out in Jan 05 were the final with all included. Livernois I think it was once had a great write up of everything that was done to the heads of the few years. And no the blue stripe does not mean it has been replaced.

aarons04cobra

Established Member
04 heads > 03 heads. But if you are going to have them ported / polished you can just have them re sleeve the heads to a 9 thread.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There were 3 or 4 different runs of heads for 03-05 heads. Reason I say 05 is the final revision came out in 05. They fixed oil passages and cooling and did go from 4 threads to 9 threads at some point in 03 or 04. The heads that came out in Jan 05 were the final with all included. Livernois I think it was once had a great write up of everything that was done to the heads of the few years. And no the blue stripe does not mean it has been replaced.

Happen to have an 05 Aviator laying around...

FMD

Established Member
The only issue, is i wanted to stay with stock bore size because the sleeves as is look very thin, but i could be just stupid lol. Either way is there now way of sticking with stock bore at this point, even if its only .001? And as for the heads was i was going to have them ported and polished, i didnt know that you could resleeve that threading though ill ask him about it. When its ported and polished i shouldnt have to worry about that cooling issue anyway no? I just want everything 100% before i spend thousands to find out i accidentally skimped on a few dollar upgrade lol. Anu other suggestions guys? I apreciate all the info

Users who are viewing this thread