93 fox vs. 97 M3

QU!CK

Bite The Bullitt...
Established Member
On the road again...just can't wait to get on the
ELESWON said:
Not to much to worry about there, bolt on mods on the S52 motor (which is what is in there) are NOTORIOUS for not picking up much power. Usually an additional 25 rwhp or so for FULL bolt on car. Those things really need forced induction to be fast.

What about the sedan E36 M3? I've heard that it doesn't have the exact same engine as the coupe and has a milder tune (stock).

My friends M3 sedan has a shark injection chip, K&N CAI, AA catback, and underdrive pulley. He claims that it has 270hp at the flywheel....I claim BS. I'm guessing that his car may have ~220rwhp at best but not really sure :shrug:

-J

Last edited:

svtcontour

Established Member
QU!CK said:
What about the sedan E36 M3? I've heard that it doesn't have the exact same engine as the coupe and has a milder tune (stock).

My friends M3 sedan has a shark injection chip, K&N CAI, AA catback, and underdrive pulley. He claims that it has 270hp at the flywheel....I claim BS. I'm guessing that his car may have ~220rwhp at best but not really sure :shrug:

-J

Wouldnt 220rwhp be pretty close to 270 flywheel HP? Also from what I understand, its the same engine. Its the E43 M coupe that has a little less output than the M3 sedan because of changes to the exhaust.

ich1baN

Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
Go race him and win...old M3's aren't that fast at all
Thank you screamin cobra. I love your car so much. Blacked out the way it should be. Do you have any videos?

And to SVTContour: What motor is in that, and what mods do you have ? And what did SVT do to upgrade it from a stock contour ? Thanks all.

ich1baN

Established Member
Sorry, race didnt go down this weekend as planned b/c it rained but next weekend should be on.

QU!CK

Bite The Bullitt...
Established Member
On the road again...just can't wait to get on the
svtcontour said:
Wouldnt 220rwhp be pretty close to 270 flywheel HP? Also from what I understand, its the same engine. Its the E43 M coupe that has a little less output than the M3 sedan because of changes to the exhaust.

270 flywheel hp would be around 230rwhp assuming a 15% drivetrain loss. I know it's only a 10hp difference but from what I've heard, it's very difficult for OBDII M3's to gain hp.

Thanks for the info on the engine output. Someone had once told me that the sedan and coupe had different engines but that just didn't seem to make sense to me... :poke:

-J

Users who are viewing this thread