93 fox vs. 97 M3

ELESWON

Wants a Boss 302 bad!!
Established Member
skunk50 said:
don't those have 333 FWHP? that's a lot for a mildly modded 5.0 i beat one but i had 310 RWHP, 3.55, drag radials and a lightened 93 notch. kind of a roll race so i didn't beat him that bad.

Your thinking of the E46 M3s, 2001 and up version, and yes they are signifcantly faster, 13.5 @ 105 on average. The one he is talking about racing is the generation back, from 95-00 body style, aka E36.

svtcontour

Established Member
skunk50 said:
don't those have 333 FWHP? that's a lot for a mildly modded 5.0 i beat one but i had 310 RWHP, 3.55, drag radials and a lightened 93 notch. kind of a roll race so i didn't beat him that bad.

The M3 is RWD (assuming you meant Front wheel HP when you said FWHP) and stock they are rated for 240HP at the engine for those years. The 2000 and up I believe had 333HP but again rated at the motor. So if you had 310 at the wheels, then you definitly had way more HP than the car you raced but you can see what good gearing and aerodynamics gives you :) Kept up not too bad.

Last edited:

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
svtcontour said:
The M3 is RWD (assuming you meant Front wheel HP when you said FWHP) and stock they are rated for 240HP at the engine for those years. The 2000 and up I believe had 333HP but again rated at the motor. So if you had 310 at the wheels, then you definitly had way more HP than the car you raced but you can see what good gearing and aerodynamics gives you :) Kept up not too bad.
I think he means Flywheel Horsepower.

j_granato33

Established Member
well I had pretty much the same mods ass you...lets see 373 gears, full exhauste,cai,mas air, and a aod tranny with a shift kit...and my buddy had a 95 m3, with cams,headers full exhauste,chip,cai, and I was always still abe to keep him at my rear bumper...he could never get even and this is from a roll...dig...about a car..but he would get to bout my rear bumper..and thats it.. and he was a pretty damn good drive..as I am..lol..

dragaddict

Stock, a four letter word
Established Member
I raced a 95 M3 auto in my truck last night, man was it close, his top end was impressive we went back and forth on wins from a fifty roll and from a dig it nasty, I jumped out about three lenghts and then saw flashers on the side of the road ahead where a cop had someone pulled over, I didn't want it to be me or him for that matter, so I let out...

race form a dig till about 80 and see what happens...

I raced an 88 gt auto with a stock rebuild and gt40 intake, supposedly a cam, (i don't believe it,

I spun hard form a dig both races and he pulled about two lenghts overall. I could not catch him ...

If you beat him off launch and gain a few lenghts then you can probably hold him off.

87Mustang5.jpg

27fe3775.jpg

b4b9c88b.jpg

If you'd like I can PM the rest of this article, but I don't want to soak up any more bandwidth...

:rockon:

Ben

svtcontour

Established Member
skunk50 said:
FLYwheel HP sherlock.

I figured as much afterwards. See most people just say HP with no prefix to indicate flywheel HP and to specify HP to the ground, they put an RW in front indicating rear wheel HP or FW indicating front wheel HP.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
Off topic: I've never actually seen an svt contour. Do you have a pic of one? What is the difference between it and a reg. contour besides svt badges?

ich1baN

Established Member
Ya, my buddy's M3 is not modded at all, and again its a 1997 model. He bought it on ebay for around 10 grand I think, but it had been rear ended once and fixed. Also, this is his first stick car, so he isnt the best of drivers I would think. He says its fast and I believe him. And from what ive read I would think my best chances are from a dig. And with my light mods and maybe taking the spare and jack at will increase my chances.

Last edited:

blwn2kgt

Established Member
ich1baN said:
Ya, my buddy's M3 is not modded at all, and again its a 1997 model. He bought it on ebay for around 10 grand I think, but it had been rear ended once and fixed. Also, this is his first stick car, so he isnt the best of drivers I would think. He says its fast and I believe him. And from what ive read I would think my best chances are from a dig. And with my light mods and maybe taking the spare and jack at will increase my chances.

hehehe this is first stick car ummm how much money does he have??? equal drivers i think he might beat ya but if its first stick you should be able to handle him no problem but 3.27 gears dude buy some gear hehehe Good luck bro keep us posted I love to hear about Beemers gettin whacked!

Stephen :burnout:

svtcontour

Established Member
Thanks :) I like the car but its going to need some work soon (I recently cracked the passenger side lower front skirt a little but its not too noticable) and its got tons of stone chips due to its age and I think my ABS needs attention or at least the light is on. I'm going to have it painted and get the skirt fixed during the summer. Staying with the same color. Mechanically its doing well. Actually today I had a small run in with a convertible 99-2004 GT. It was green with the bullit style rims. Dont know if it was stick or auto but I do know for sure it was a GT and not a V6. He chased me down on the highway and after a bit of cat and mouse we got on it hard from about 80mph up 135mph where I let off. He had fallen back about 3 cars. He was strong right up to about 120mph and then he started to taper off. I've got a modified y-pipe, full cat back as well as no pre-cats. I also have a drop in K&N filter.

Anyway I dont baby this car. I drive it hard. In return, I always give my baby synthetic oil in the engine and transmission :)

Last edited:

89LXcoupe

Established Member
ford_racer said:
I don't know much about M3s, but I think you're gonna get walked. But then again, I know little about those cars.

Good thing you spouted off useless, ignorant info then huh? If 97 m3 runs 11's in Gran Turismo, it's must be true then.

If you can drive, then I'l give it to you, you have a mid 13 sec car(street tires)..A 97 M3 would be HARD pressed to get into the 13's stock.

Last edited:

svtcontour

Established Member
89LXcoupe said:
Good thing you spouted off useless, ignorant info then huh? If 97 m3 runs 11's in Gran Turismo, it's must be true then.

If you can drive, then I'l give it to you, you have a mid 13 sec car(street tires)..A 97 M3 would be HARD pressed to get into the 13's stock.

Getting a good launch from the stang will be a bit more work than getting that M3 out of the hole. All it would take is a few tenths of bogging or spinning the tire and it could easily be the M3 walking. A 13.50 car vs a 14.0 car is not that far off on the street. Also nobody really knows if this M3 is truely stock. I mean a drop in filter and a chip might give him a bit of a bump too. Maybe 10 HP :)

ELESWON

Wants a Boss 302 bad!!
Established Member
svtcontour said:
Getting a good launch from the stang will be a bit more work than getting that M3 out of the hole. All it would take is a few tenths of bogging or spinning the tire and it could easily be the M3 walking. A 13.50 car vs a 14.0 car is not that far off on the street. Also nobody really knows if this M3 is truely stock. I mean a drop in filter and a chip might give him a bit of a bump too. Maybe 10 HP :)

Not to much to worry about there, bolt on mods on the S52 motor (which is what is in there) are NOTORIOUS for not picking up much power. Usually an additional 25 rwhp or so for FULL bolt on car. Those things really need forced induction to be fast.

ich1baN

Established Member
The bad thing about his car(97 m3) is that it has been rear ended once, and bought on ebay. Not saying that ebay is a bad place to buy cars, but you never know what the hell is coming with the package when you go pick it up or trade, or w/e. And im sure his car is fine now, but I wouldnt buy a car on ebay that was rear ended and fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread