9/11...My small town

STREETREBEL

Established Member
This is how my town shows to never forget 9/11.
There is a flag in front of every house and every mail box in town.
flags_zpsgkp48jjr.jpg

Kiohtee

Established Member
I was nine years old, in fourth grade. I will never forget 9/11 and watching all the footage that evening at daycare and then Busch's speech later that night at home. :(

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a cool pic OP.

I was nine years old, in fourth grade. I will never forget 9/11 and watching all the footage that evening at daycare and then Busch's speech later that night at home. :(

My school just told the students that a plane hit the WTC. No one, students wise, knew anything till some parents came early to pick up their kids.

Remember getting home and just watching the TV in disbelief.

Planter

Banned
14 years ago yesterday, I awoke in a Kansas City hotel close to the MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) at 4 am. I got dressed grabbed my things and went downstairs to grab breakfast before catching the van to MEPS.

On Sept 10, 2001 I successfully completed the medical examinations and enlisted in the United States Army as an Air Traffic Controller (for which I would later fail my FAA flight physical and have to choose another MOS).

On Sept 11, 2001 I was riding my bike to work at the Saturn dealership in Blue Springs, MO. As I crossed the bridge over I-70 I heard and saw a pack of F-15's going screaming eastbound breaking the sound barrier. I felt the hair rise on the back of my neck, knowing something was wrong but not what.

When I got to work, the place was deserted. Cars parked in the shop, doors open but no one around. Confused I went to the front sales floor, no one to be found. I went to the break room and everyone was gathered around the tv. As I came in I watched in horror as the 2nd plane flew into the 2 World Trade Center tower.

I will never forget the anger and rage I felt on that day. I will never trust any muslim ever as a result of 9/11. You poked the wrong Bear. The Eagle is Mighty and the Bear is Powerful and the Stars and Stripes will never run from ANY fight. Especially not one instigated by a bunch of cowardly neanderthals that wear diapers on their heads and refuse to eat pork. So **** Islam and **** you! #LongLiveTheRedWhiteAndBlue

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Just landed at Laguardia. They had the national guard in the airport.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
This is how my town shows to never forget 9/11.
There is a flag in front of every house and every mail box in town.
flags_zpsgkp48jjr.jpg
Our neighbor down the block was at the WTC that day...and left the office for coffee and breakfast. Might have saved his life. He was in a serious depression for months afterwards.

We put a flag up in front of our house the day after 9/11 and it has never been down since. I'll never forget how quiet the skies were for days...except for the occasional fighter flying over. The day was surreal...

oldmodman

Established Member
Nothing special going on around here.

But I have had a lighted at night American Flag on my front porch since that morning.

I have had to replace it three times for wear and tear and once because some asshole shot it with a paintball gun.

But other than that it has flown every second since the towers went down.

Right after that morning there were a lot of flags up. "But now there is only one". Let it truly be immortal.

Planter

Banned
i'm disappointed in the lack of commentary and the sharing of memories in this thread.

Have we forgotten already? :nonono:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
That's a cool pic OP.

My school just told the students that a plane hit the WTC. No one, students wise, knew anything till some parents came early to pick up their kids.

Remember getting home and just watching the TV in disbelief.

Weird. I remember just getting to school that day and hearing about it not shortly after getting off the bus. Then there was an announcement over the PA explaining what happened, followed by the news explaining what happened in one of my first classes.

What I remember most is my dad coming home from work, clearly upset. He explained how he had employees in one of the buildings and was on the phone calling families all day. One of them who answered was a little boy who was asking about his dad. He was one of the 7 employees who died in the attack (but didn't find this out till later).

Last edited:

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Been a member here for 11 years. I've had the same 9/11 avatar ever since. I was born in NYC and had been inside those buildings before 9/11 when the cowards crashed into them. When I saw what happened on TV that day I went to my 2000+ page Bible and randomly opened it. I looked down and this verse was the first I saw: Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a Strong TOWER, the righteous run to it and are safe."

My heart deeply goes out to all affected by 9/11. The fires have gone out at the Pentagon, WTC, and Shanksville field. But the fire of Hell will forever burn every piece of shit that took part in this and all other terrorist attacks.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I was asleep. I was my first semester of college. My buddy called to wake me up and tell me to turn on the news. I still went to class that day, but we just talked about what was happening. It really didn't sink in until a few days later how big of a deal this was.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I had just turned 16 a week prior and was uo for school getting ready to leave when I caught the news that said a plane had hit the first WTC building. Didnt see much footage at the time for some reason so I figured it was something like a Cesna or a smaller plane. Not knowing much I still decided to go upstairs and tell my mom and dad. I remember my dad getting up and sitting at the edge if their bed as he got to the news channel to verify what I had told him. Still not seeing the magnitude of the situation at this point outside of it being an accident he told me to go to school, but I could tell he was deeply concerned. It wasn't long after I had left that I heard on the radio that another plane had hit the second building and I got a call from my dad immediately. I'm surprised he didnt tell me to come back home but I think everyone was in disbelief at that point that it could have been an attack.

I went to school for the entire day and in each class most of the teachers had the news on for the first few minutes and then made us focus on what was being taught that day. I remember being a little upset with them that they were witholding something potentially historic at that time; we just didn't know. Looking back, I think my teachers probably knew what was happening and didn't know how to react in front of their students.

I lived on a lake at the time and I remember standing out by our dock sometime after with the weather still being perfect and talking with some of my friends and my brother and talking about how I wanted to join and go to war with whoever attacked us. Had I been older and on my own I would have joined at that moment. I still did but as the war went on I carried on with my life until I felt a real, undeniable calling again to go into the Marines. Best decision I ever made.

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
My neighbor is a retired full Colonial, US Army. He had an office at the Pentagon at one point, and told me that it used to be the higher ups used to envy the offices toward the edge that had the most windows. All that changed after 9/11. They put the "crown jewels" in the center.

Edit: LOL, I assume he wouldn't have told me that if it was classified.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
9/11 still gives me nightmares. I was in my early 20's working for a small insurance company in upstate NY. Our parent company (Aon) was located in WTC. I lost close to 300 co-workers that day. People I talked to everyday were gone in a flash. I can still hear their voices. I need to get to the memorial to pay my respects.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I was born and raised on Long Island. I was 19 years old and very wet behind the ears, never traveled or lived away from home, and I decided to move to Hawaii to go to school (college). I was always a person who was up into the wee hours of the night/morning... for some reason I passed out early that night. I was woken up by a banging on my door around 300am. At first I thought it was a girl (who was also from Long Island) that needed paper or something. She started screaming, "we are being bombed! We are being bombed!, they are blowing up New York!". I ran down stairs in my boxers to the common area and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. A few of us down there were watching. It was unbelievably surreal for us because it was a picture perfect sunny morning on "live" TV in New York, but in Hawaii it was pitch black out still... it made it seem like we were watching a movie. I called my mom immediately and told her to get my little brother out of school. I was disconnected during the call, and that was the last time I talked to anyone at home for 5 days. About a half hour later the National Guard marched up University Ave and occupied the campus.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Was busy most of yesterday, but I watched much of the reporting on TV. A day I'll never forget. I was shopping at the local Stop & Shop when it was first reported. All of the shoppers were frozen by the checkouts listening to cell phone reports. Initially I thought maybe a small plane collided with the first tower. Then came the report of the second tower being hit and you knew it wasn't an accident, but much more serious. The rest of the day was one of shock and anger!

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
We had a TV at work, and the boss called us in when the first plane hit. He said it was a terrorist attack and we scoffed at him, and then the second plane hit. When I got home, my son told me it was OK to leave if I had to go be a soldier again. Brings a tear to my eye every time I picture his somber little face.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I was on my way to school that morning, I remember how clear the sky was that morning. Not one cloud in the sky. I was listening to the radio when they all of the sudden started reporting a plane hit a building in New York. I turned around and went back home and turned the TV on and saw the twin towers on fire, the news replayed what happened. I thought it was a movie, it baffled my mind that two planes struck the buildings. The next day I remember how quiet everything was and driving around seeing all of the American flags hanging half staff. On one of the major roads they had a couple of fire trucks with the ladders extended with a huge flag hanging from it, collecting donations to send to New York.
I am originally from New Jersey and we lived in Leonardo, right across from NY. When I went up to visit a few years after the attacks there was a memorial for the people that had been rescued and they were dropped off at the beach/marina. I changed after that day, got very depressed. I did not know anybody that were murdered that day, but I can only feel for their family and friends who lost so much. And to think of the absolute helplessness the victims had, some even jumping from the buildings. I will never ever forget that day. The day that changed America and I feel like many of our freedoms have been taken ever since that day.

ssssnake

Established Member
I was at work when one of my bosses called in and said a plane had hit the WTC. I knew then it was a terrorist action because of a previous bombing of the Trade Center. Then we heard that the second plane had hit. We had a tv at the office, so for the rest of the day, we just watched in shock.

On the way home from work yeaterday, i noticed our little town had a crane with the U.S. flag and the Texas flag suspended, and the retirement home in my subdivision had big flags hanging at everyone's garage. In town, there were some flags flying at half mast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread