600 rwhp NA on e85 out of the question?

Voltwings

Established Member
More like 104 octane rating I thought.

Correct, the actual octane rating of E85 is 105, but theres 2 things to my sentence that make it different; the effective octane, since its being sprayed directly into the cylidner, and in DI applications. Fuel pressure, spray pattern... Theres a lot that changes. Here's an article.

Excerpt:
"A computational model is used in
this paper to determine the knock resistance and effective octane number of these alcohol
fuels when they are directly injected. The model indicates that the effective octane
numbers are around 160 for ethanol and 180 for methanol"

Article:
http://www.psfc.mit.edu/library1/catalog/reports/2000/08ja/08ja002/08ja002_full.pdf

I can also personally vouch for that after some tuning i did on my last DI vehicle. Big turbo mazdaspeed3 making around 430 whp at the time. Started on a 50/50 E85 blend (16 gallon tank) and went all the way down to 2 gallons of E85 per tank before i finally started seeing small amounts (2* or so) of knock on the same tune. For example, the car was knock limited to about 360 whp on straight 93. E85 is incredibly effective in DI applications.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
Correct, the actual octane rating of E85 is 105, but theres 2 things to my sentence that make it different; the effective octane, since its being sprayed directly into the cylidner, and in DI applications. Fuel pressure, spray pattern... Theres a lot that changes. Here's an article.

Excerpt:
"A computational model is used in
this paper to determine the knock resistance and effective octane number of these alcohol
fuels when they are directly injected. The model indicates that the effective octane
numbers are around 160 for ethanol and 180 for methanol"

Article:
http://www.psfc.mit.edu/library1/catalog/reports/2000/08ja/08ja002/08ja002_full.pdf

I can also personally vouch for that after some tuning i did on my last DI vehicle. Big turbo mazdaspeed3 making around 430 whp at the time. Started on a 50/50 E85 blend (16 gallon tank) and went all the way down to 2 gallons of E85 per tank before i finally started seeing small amounts (2* or so) of knock on the same tune. For example, the car was knock limited to about 360 whp on straight 93. E85 is incredibly effective in DI applications.

Interesting stuff!

twistedneck

Established Member
Corvette C7R only runs 0.5pts higher compression with E85 on their direct injected car the limit for endurance racing according to an interview with Dave Henninger the head of race engines there. I think that's compared to racing gas, and its a pure NA application, 13.5:1 any more than that the flame propagation became inefficient. Nascar flattop piston cars can run 15-16:1 due to the super tiny combustion chambers - same with the Toyota LMP1 -17:1 compression on race gasoline. Here in Michigan i get to watch the E85 go from 70% in spring to 85% in summer then back to 70% in the fall.

Voltwings

Established Member
Corvette C7R only runs 0.5pts higher compression with E85 on their direct injected car the limit for endurance racing according to an interview with Dave Henninger the head of race engines there. I think that's compared to racing gas, and its a pure NA application, 13.5:1 any more than that the flame propagation became inefficient. Nascar flattop piston cars can run 15-16:1 due to the super tiny combustion chambers - same with the Toyota LMP1 -17:1 compression on race gasoline. Here in Michigan i get to watch the E85 go from 70% in spring to 85% in summer then back to 70% in the fall.

Yeah, luckily it doesnt freeze in Houston, so we have a consistent blend year round.

pufferfish

Established Member
if its possible to do 600 on a stick, no reason 500 doesn't work with an auto. do autos even lose power compared to manuals on dynos these days? since the auto cars are as fast or faster on the strip, wouldn't that mean they make around the same dyno power?

96lasersvt

Established Member
if its possible to do 600 on a stick, no reason 500 doesn't work with an auto. do autos even lose power compared to manuals on dynos these days? since the auto cars are as fast or faster on the strip, wouldn't that mean they make around the same dyno power?

Im not sure what a stock auto puts down. I heard where the internals on these 6r80s were so big and heavy that the drivetrain loss was somewhere around 20 percent. And im sure by the time i add the big stall, that will cause it to be higher too.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Well an auto shifts faster and more consistent then a person can. That's why they are usually faster. Stock to stock usually an m6 is faster. Tune only on both, a good tuner can really adjust the shifts in the auto pretty stout. But yes an auto will rob hp from the wheels more then an m6

pufferfish

Established Member
is the computer limiting it or is there a physical inability for the trans to shift higher? since we are basically talking about a stand-alone to get the rpm high enough to make the power, the trans could also use a stand-alone controller.

96lasersvt

Established Member
is the computer limiting it or is there a physical inability for the trans to shift higher? since we are basically talking about a stand-alone to get the rpm high enough to make the power, the trans could also use a stand-alone controller.
The auto computers are limited to around 7900 and the manuals are around 8100.

sean04

Established Member
Once the converter is locked up it won't matter how high the stall is. And since the aftermarket converts are smaller and lighter than OEM they should pick up whp.

ford20

Established Member
Ported heads, custom grind comp cams, sleeved block, stainless steel vales, PAC valve springs, CJ manifold, SCJ monoblade TB, ford racing CAI, American racing longtubes and off road X pipe, 60lb injectors, e85, and a crappy tune.

Sleeved block as in 94mm bores?

It's doable, at least close to it. Copperhead platform is tapped out at 8100 rpm. I'm sure theirs a standalone system that can achieve this. However I don't see Cam CJ setups peaking over 5800-6200 rpm. They generally just maintain with minimal drop off till 7800+/- So, in my mind more rpm isn't the key per se. 8k is already zing ing pretty good for a V8.

Que? I'm confused since I can run my car up to 8200 RPM without any issues as far as I know.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
From the calculations that I've seen, going to a 5.2L should gain about 15whp. It's not much, but you're running out of stuff to do. Did you ever say whether or not you ported your IM? Just a quick recap of the ideas so far:

5" Rev Auto intake

Ported IM

5.2L short block

Electric water pump

Those things could potentially get you another ~45whp all together. Beyond that, larger valves, head and cam revisions to put peak power at a higher RPM, aaaaaand…um…that's all I got. I think you may need FTW to finally bump you over 600.

ford20

Established Member
I know when Stang TV did their carb coyote build they made 590/447 on Q16 on an Engine Dyno with:

• 5.2 short block 12:1 CR
  • Livernois Stage 3 Cobra Jet Spec CNC Ported Heads
  • Custom Grind Cams
  • Meziere Coyote Electric Water Pump

When they switched it to E85 they added

• LImiters
  • Cobra JEt IM w/ SCJ TB
  • 60lb. Injectors to run E85

Even still they made 625/462 on an engine dyno. That being said I am curious about the OP's engine since he states sleeved block but never says anything else. I am going to be guessing it is a 3.700 bore block but what is the compression ratio?

Never mind I see it 12.5:1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread