600+ on a S-TRIM!!!!!!!!!!

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
run a JLT prefilter and a catch can setup on the drivers side head :)

post up some pics of your catch can and pre filter.

Could i just run 2 pre filters, one for each valve cover?

As long as i dont have anything attatched to the powerpipe and the intake no oil will be getting in, but the prefilters will allow it to still breath.

Im just worried that if i put breathers on there oil will come out, i dont think it will come out w/ the JLT peice.

If i unplug the hole on the intake am i going to have any idle problems etc...?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I have been reading all night.

I am going to put a JLT prefilter on my drivers side head so i dont have to remove the PVC system, and then a breather on my passenger side.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Check summit, im pretty sure they stock them. One filter on each valve cover. Plug everything else.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
you think a pre filter will be ok on the driver head?

Does yours have oil come out of them?

I have no idea what the heck you're talking about with JLT and pre filters.

Its called a valve cover breather, thats all you need, two of them. Plug the intake, it wont effect the idle. Plug the power pipe. Done.

I have a very minimal amount of oil come out every once in a while, nothing noticable, just a few drops, but I've had my breathers on for years now.

Last edited:

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
I had the prefilter on mine and it didn't work worth a damn (maybe because I used a compressor filter :) I had a shit load of oil in my powerpipe and intake but after I put breathers on there it stopped. Hit me up tomorrow if you need any help, I should be off by 5.

UCBeau

I'm wondering if there are any potential issues from letting the metered air escape out into the atmosphere?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Blown04GT said:
I had the prefilter on mine and it didn't work worth a damn (maybe because I used a compressor filter :) I had a shit load of oil in my powerpipe and intake but after I put breathers on there it stopped. Hit me up tomorrow if you need any help, I should be off by 5.

I will.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
air that is already in the system, i.e. that's passed the maf and been measure, escaping again
I KNOW WHAT METERED AIR IS... Im just wondering how you think its escaping? From where? Please explain.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
You guys are thinking about this WAY too hard! Yes metered air will get out of the motor, again this is called blow by. However it will only escape the motor while you are in vacuum so at part throttle and any throttle that is not WOT you will have metered air escaping through the valve covers but no where near enough to run the car lean. The pcv system is only there because of emissions not life of the motor or performance, only emissions.

98gt281

Established Member
This is simple, by deleting the pipe crossing from the manifold to the intake you stop any potential blow-by (oily air) from getting into the manifold. by doing this you just put two filters on the valve covers venting the blow-by into the air. I would recomend cleaning the intake at the same time to get all the nasty oil off the intake, that is the entire reason your doing this in the 1st place.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
breathers...
Thats what I thought you were going to say...Definetly thinking about it WAY to hard, or not hard enough.

breathers relase the vapors and pressure that builds up in your crankcase(oil, heads, crank, rods, skirts of pistons, oil pan) NOT your intake air(the clean air your blower is now inhaling and stuffing down your intake, into the combustion chambers, and out the exhuast once detonated). If you have any type of decently sealed piston rings, which you should, then "blow by" should be minimal.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
98gt281 said:
This is simple, by deleting the pipe crossing from the manifold to the intake you stop any potential blow-by (oily air) from getting into the manifold. by doing this you just put two filters on the valve covers venting the blow-by into the air. I would recomend cleaning the intake at the same time to get all the nasty oil off the intake, that is the entire reason your doing this in the 1st place.

Doh, why didn't I suggest this? :bash:

UCBeau

TT91 said:
Thats what I thought you were going to say...Definetly thinking about it WAY to hard, or not hard enough.

breathers relase the vapors and pressure that builds up in your crankcase(oil, heads, crank, rods, skirts of pistons, oil pan) NOT your intake air(the clean air your blower is now inhaling and stuffing down your intake, into the combustion chambers, and out the exhuast once detonated). If you have any type of decently sealed piston rings, which you should, then "blow by" should be minimal.
i was overthinking..after reading your explanation, i see what you meant.

Users who are viewing this thread