6 speed tt

stangfreak

Established Member
any cobra guy's on here that went turbo still have there 6 speed or did everyone go auto. I know auto and turbo just rule, but curious to see if anyone has there manual in the car. Looking on feed back on how the car runs and how much hardr they are to drive

1MIXDUP

Established Member
I have the 6 speed still in my car but it isn't quite yet completed but i'll have a response/feed back for you soon. Is this something you have already completed or is a work in progress? What type and size turbo are you running?

nanastymach1

Established Member
i have a tt setup for about a month now and its amazing compared to the whipple 3.4 setup...and lets clear this up for everybodyyyyyy

yes turbos have lag (twin hellion 61 mm for me ) at low rpms but at any kinda racing speeds 40 kicks,or what ever speeds unless ur just in a complete dead spot will destroy a twin screw setup at similar power levels...it pulls so smooth and hard up top...its like a plane going slowly starting to take up and full boost and its over in a short period of time
im sure at the track a auto will kill a 6 speed setup but i will always keep the 6 speed for the street

hope this helps

stangfreak

Established Member
I have the 6 speed still in my car but it isn't quite yet completed but i'll have a response/feed back for you soon. Is this something you have already completed or is a work in progress? What type and size turbo are you running?

Im just seeing what I want to do with the car. Im running a 2.9 whipple.
A lot of us, including myself, always go bigger s/c. Then bigger and bigger and bigger. you just see minimal gain's and nothing really crazy with the amount of boost we are running through the blower. so its like ok whats next, a 4.0L whipple? lol.

I like the blower setup for the street as it just kicks in hard and you feel that neck snapping tq. But then again you see these turbo's make some killer power at low boost. Its also nice to go from pump gas to race gas without changing no pullies or belts etc. I know a 6 speed turbo cobra is harder to drive so I wanted to see what others have to say

stangfreak

Established Member
i have a tt setup for about a month now and its amazing compared to the whipple 3.4 setup...and lets clear this up for everybodyyyyyy

yes turbos have lag (twin hellion 61 mm for me ) at low rpms but at any kinda racing speeds 40 kicks,or what ever speeds unless ur just in a complete dead spot will destroy a twin screw setup at similar power levels...it pulls so smooth and hard up top...its like a plane going slowly starting to take up and full boost and its over in a short period of time
im sure at the track a auto will kill a 6 speed setup but i will always keep the 6 speed for the street

hope this helps

so once its spooled up all hell breaks loose? like you just feel it hit hard?

nanastymach1

Established Member
I think by far the turbo setup is easier to drive ...the lag actually stops the car from spinning I just went out with boosted ( gt500 green swap coupe) and took him for a ride and 2nd gear at 40 50 mph or what ever it flies like no blower car could and I'm just on pump and about 17-18 psi it make almost 800 hp in 100 deg heat...it made 698 on 15 psi same day lol...

I have 335 nitto drags and a full weight car and this thing hooks every gear and never stops pulling like a freight train

Thread closed lol

Now I do miss being able to blip The throttle when ever at low mph and hit instant boost but the turbo is way faster hands down

MGC

Established Member
My car is a 6 speed, I have thought about going auto, but 6 speed is a lot of fun, no doubt auto would be faster though. My car once it spools is like someone lit a rocket engine behind ya... lol

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
I love my manual vb th400 and would not go back to my t-56 for anything. Its much more fun on the street, at car shows when you need to put around and at the strip.

Its a stick without the clutch issues, plus teamed with the turbo the power never falls off.

stangfreak

Established Member
I was looking at the freddy brown transmission's, 4r70w, and they are pretty expensive with installation at his shop. Between the turbo kit and the 4r, lol your looking at 20k. But it is what it is if you want to go fast.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The 6 spd isn't bad with a turbo car at all. Although I prefer the Auto, the 6spd on the street is fun also. There are so many variables, the big thing is turbo size. If you are running a giant turbo on a stock 4.6 with a stick, its going to suck. If you build a setup that is quick spooling its fun. The problem is when you go to the track with a 6 spd. You would need to launch at a high RPM of a 2 step and just dump it to get the car to build boost. This is when parts breaking starts because the trans is seeing a big shock.

If you went auto, I would stay away from a 4R. The TH400 is the way to go, way cheaper and will handle much more power then the 4R will anyday. You do not need the OD at all. You just need to size your tires and pick your gear choice correctly.

fangs99

Established Member
I have a 6 speed single turbo car.... My answer to lag is my 3.73's.... Boost starts around 2,800 and with 10.0:1 compression the engine isn't lazy with out boost. Oh.... Even with cams the car is just as easy as a stock car to drive.... Big key to that is the RXT clutch.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
The 6 spd isn't bad with a turbo car at all. Although I prefer the Auto, the 6spd on the street is fun also. There are so many variables, the big thing is turbo size. If you are running a giant turbo on a stock 4.6 with a stick, its going to suck. If you build a setup that is quick spooling its fun. The problem is when you go to the track with a 6 spd. You would need to launch at a high RPM of a 2 step and just dump it to get the car to build boost. This is when parts breaking starts because the trans is seeing a big shock.

If you went auto, I would stay away from a 4R. The TH400 is the way to go, way cheaper and will handle much more power then the 4R will anyday. You do not need the OD at all. You just need to size your tires and pick your gear choice correctly.
Sorry but I beg to differ. The 4R can handle up to 1600hp with the right components. If you want a Th400 with OD your looking at about $7000. Not cost effective at all.

stangfreak

Established Member
I have a 6 speed single turbo car.... My answer to lag is my 3.73's.... Boost starts around 2,800 and with 10.0:1 compression the engine isn't lazy with out boost. Oh.... Even with cams the car is just as easy as a stock car to drive.... Big key to that is the RXT clutch.

interesting. usually people will go back to 3.55's or less

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member

That makes no sense at all sorry. You just made your car slower by going to 3.73... Going to lower gear will reduce turbo lag since the drivetrain is putting more strain on the turbo. Go down to 3.27s and your car will feel A LOT faster.

fangs99

Established Member
I have the viper spec t-56.... With 315/35/17's on the street it's great.... When I up the boost for the track I will run a 28 inch tire to get more mph.

Users who are viewing this thread