5th gear issue

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
I practically begged them to crack the case when the trans was out last time, just to look at the fluid. They refused.

The front straight @ TWS is definitely fast enough for 5th. The service writer told me they were unable to replicate the lockout at all, or the grinding, even though 4 techs, the GM and himself all tried.

Yeah, you read that right. Virtually the entire staff of the dealership has had an opportunity to rag on my car.

This sucks, I cant imagine how frustrated you must be. My 12 boss with 1200 miles had the pedal stick a few time and trans get hard to shift. Are you getting close to some lemon law standards yet?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
A friend of mine is a drivetrain engineer for GM in Milford, MI. He has a friend at Ford who was able to ferret out a guy whose email signature reads "Ford Customer Service Div.; Mustang PVT/Launch Team" I just wrote a short novel describing essentially my entire ownership of the car; every track day, every dealer visit, every issue I could remember. Cross your fingers, because the dealer is straight up pissing me off. They've had the car 3 days and have no clue what to do with it, other than let the entire staff rag on it trying to make the transmission grind.

This sucks, I cant imagine how frustrated you must be. My 12 boss with 1200 miles had the pedal stick a few time and trans get hard to shift. Are you getting close to some lemon law standards yet?

19 days out of 30, so yes, I am.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I wouldn't trust ford techs to save my life after my experiences with them when I had my GT500. I brought it in for the clutch/flywheel TSB after 10,000 miles & they forgot to put in transmission fluid after doing the TSB. Long story short, 2nd & 3rd gear blew up & they had to replace the entire transmission. 2000 miles later I spun a bearing, they flew a ford rep down from michigan apparently, sent oil samples off to get tested for nitrous??? tried claiming it was my fault...come to find out they put the wrong oil in at the dealer...they had to replace the engine with a new turnkey running assembly..I fought with them for the lemon law, but Ford wouldn't honor shit. I was without my car for 2 weeks for the tranny tsb & then for over a month after they ****ed it up. For the engine issue I was without it for another month or so...all they did was give me a rental and replace everything. Goodluck with the lemon law.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I wouldn't trust ford techs to save my life after my experiences with them when I had my GT500. I brought it in for the clutch/flywheel TSB after 10,000 miles & they forgot to put in transmission fluid after doing the TSB. Long story short, 2nd & 3rd gear blew up & they had to replace the entire transmission. 2000 miles later I spun a bearing, they flew a ford rep down from michigan apparently, sent oil samples off to get tested for nitrous??? tried claiming it was my fault...come to find out they put the wrong oil in at the dealer...they had to replace the engine with a new turnkey running assembly..I fought with them for the lemon law, but Ford wouldn't honor shit. I was without my car for 2 weeks for the tranny tsb & then for over a month after they ****ed it up. For the engine issue I was without it for another month or so...all they did was give me a rental and replace everything. Goodluck with the lemon law.

Lemon Law protection varies by state. Maybe LA just sucks?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Talked to the tech today. He has lubed the shifter, bled the clutch system, and was in the process of changing the fluid. Ford is making him eliminate all "easy" things before authorizing a trans rebuild. He actually said it may be a tolerance/material heat growth issue, with possibly a bent shift fork or linkage. But he won't know until he tears it down and looks at everything.

They actually had the gall to complain to me that my car was almost out of gas. I dropped it off with half a tank. :nonono:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Talked to the tech today. He has lubed the shifter, bled the clutch system, and was in the process of changing the fluid. Ford is making him eliminate all "easy" things before authorizing a trans rebuild. He actually said it may be a tolerance/material heat growth issue, with possibly a bent shift fork or linkage. But he won't know until he tears it down and looks at everything.

They actually had the gall to complain to me that my car was almost out of gas. I dropped it off with half a tank. :nonono:

I dont like your dealership....:nono:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
This is my trans fluid at ~15k miles. Still think its not the trans, Ford?

73fc2aba.jpg

Griever423

Established Member
This is my trans fluid at ~15k miles. Still think its not the trans, Ford?

73fc2aba.jpg

Is that the stock synthetic trans fluid? I switched mine to Motul gear 300 as soon as I could.

Man I'm starting to worry about my trans and if I should be going to the track event I've already signed up for next month...

I've experienced the lockout a couple times out at MSR when trying to shift from 3rd to 4th but didn't think much of it. I chalked those up to driver error as the car was pretty new then.

I've been on a couple high speed runs and after a while the trans starts to get really hot. I had issues with 5th gear when the trans was hot and had been running hard for several minutes.

I hope the dealer resolves your issues and doesn't try to jerk you around any more.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
That is the stock fluid. Don't be worried about a track day, that's what Ford built these cars to do. If they break, Ford will have to fix them. Yes, the process sucks, but I'd honestly rather be in this position than have garaged this car at the first sign of a problem and babied it until it ran out of warranty.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Have you upgraded the tranny fluid yet, i'd do that 1st before you let some dorky tech shift your car at 7000 rpm...

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I specifically requested to have the fluid changed last time it was in the shop, Ford refused to authorize it. Considering they are well within their power to void my warranty if I change the fluid on my own or replace it with non-OEM fluid, I'm not going to bother. If Ford's engineers chose the wrong fluid for this car's application that is NOT my problem, and they're getting to pay to fix it.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I understand where your coming from, but do you trust them to solve your problem? A warranty means nothing if they take it all apart put it back together and don't solve the problem! Yeah they're suppose to know what they're doing but for me, i don't trust them replicating the issue and I doubt they will able to fix it without a Fluid change.

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
I want to at least give them the chance to fix it, on their dime.

Good luck, what a nightmare story. My service dealer has been easy so far, had my water pump replaced early on under warranty. Many Ford lots here to choose from, so I think they try a little harder for your business.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
hybred unless you are specifically in love with that particular car (wouldn't blame you if you are) and def want to keep it for sure, my .02 would be to go for the lemon law. you can get the same or newer car with no out of pocket expense, or basically your money back if you opt not to replace it.

if texas lemon laws are as consumer-friendly as they are here in california, it's a win-win situation for you.

86Fbody

Established Member
I read earlier that you were thinking of switching the clutch fluid to DOT 5, I know Ford suggests switching the brake fluid to DOT 4 and some people have also said DOT 4 is the way to go with the clutch fluid. You could always switch to DOT 5.1 which is mineral based instead of DOT 5 which is silicone and doesn't bond with moisture. Def a ways away from the subject at hand but figured if you went with Motul 600 you changed to some good DOT 4.

302 Boss #889

Established Member
5th Grear Lock out Problem on the 302 Boss

I also have experienced 5th grear lock out on my car as well.
I have a 2012 302 Boss #889. It does not happen in any other grear. I also have a very minor grind shifting from 1st to 2nd when the transmission is cold but stops once the transmission warms up. I basicly shift from 1st to 2nd at a low rmp to avoid the grind until the trtansmission is warm.

Have you guys been able to correct the 5th gear lockout at high rmp's with your cars?

Users who are viewing this thread