5th gear issue

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
If I have to put a super heavy clutch in it just to make it work I'll probably sell it, as much as that breaks my heart. I shouldn't have to dump a bunch of money and time installing race parts just to make a basically stock car work.

i'd probably feel the same way. although i might burn it for more satisfaction.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Thanks, but, what makes you think I'm a young man?

lol

It's leaking again. :cryying::cryying::cryying:

see now that sux. that is something to be all over them about. not sure about texas but out here the lemon laws are extremely customer friendly. if the same repair is tried 3 times and still not fixed, you'd get a refund or a new car.

best of luck with it

LostPony

Established Member
"Young man" was just tongue in cheek comment.

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. Mine is a daily driver too, but not in stop and go traffic. I drive about 150 miles to work one way, than stay near work and only drive about 10 miles to and fro. As I said in another thread about your oil leak, I smell burnt oil on occasion. I've looked all around under hood and don't see anything, and it's too wet today to crawl under it.

I hope all is well soon, these cars are really great and I hate seeing your experience marred by quality issues that may or may not be isolated to your car.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
i'd probably feel the same way. although i might burn it for more satisfaction.

I woulda said that, but then if by some freak accident it did catch fire I didn't want to have to explain it to the insurance company!

see now that sux. that is something to be all over them about. not sure about texas but out here the lemon laws are extremely customer friendly. if the same repair is tried 3 times and still not fixed, you'd get a refund or a new car.

They have 4 tries to fix the same problem within 12 mo or 12k miles of delivery. I've got ~3k miles to go. OR, if I'm without the car for 30 or more days within 24 mo/24k miles they may also consider it. So far, it's been 9.

"Young man" was just tongue in cheek comment.

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues. Mine is a daily driver too, but not in stop and go traffic. I drive about 150 miles to work one way, than stay near work and only drive about 10 miles to and fro. As I said in another thread about your oil leak, I smell burnt oil on occasion. I've looked all around under hood and don't see anything, and it's too wet today to crawl under it.

I hope all is well soon, these cars are really great and I hate seeing your experience marred by quality issues that may or may not be isolated to your car.

I only commented on the "young man" bit because I am actually a woman :poke:

My drive is ~20 miles each way and is usually just typical city driving, but on occasion (this is Houston after all) I WILL get stuck in bumper-to-bumper crap. I simply can't have a car in this city that can't handle that!

Hey_Its_Cole

Established Member
Also do not think its a clutch issue with exception of the pedals as I have read others say,...as the clutch is the same as the 302s and 302r.....but the tranny is NOT !. Price point and cost dictated a cheaper tranny for the street legal Boss's and it shows.....just my two cents.

I am 99% sure the MT82 clutch will not work with the TR6060.

BUstang

Established Member
Your pictures scare me, HYBRED. I drive on Westheimer everyday and the Katy Freeway for work. I certainly hope I don't run into the same problems.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Mine goes in next Monday for repair. All new gears and internals.....

And new shift forks. I will see if the dealer will install the Tri-Ax and bushings while apart.... Doubtful, they fought to change an oil pan gasket for hours with the Service Manager and Ford.....

Mike

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Went in yesterday and took a closer look at all the parts. The springs in the clutch disk are rattly, about-to-fall-out loose. They're supposed to be fixed. What the hell causes that?? They were implying whatever it was is my fault, asking all kinds of questions about my driving habits. I just kept repeating, I don't ride the clutch, I use the dead pedal; I don't power shift; and you can tell by my rear tires that the clutch wasn't slipping when I raced it. Hell, I put 30k miles on a used SpecIII in my 00 GT with ZERO issues.

I never smelled fried clutch; they say they did. I would know; I worked 4 years at a road course as a flagger, I can differentiate between brakes, clutch, oil, coolant, power steering - hell, I could probably tell you if the brake pads were ceramic or metallic! I never heard any clutch noises; no chatter, nothing. They say I should have (but they themselves didn't hear anything unusual?) It's just frustrating trying to get them to actually diagnose it instead of dismissing it as my bad driving.

That sucks

Hate to say it, but I think you might have certain tart tasting fruit for a car.

I've already read up on that tart-tasting fruit law. They have 2 more tries or 18 more days.

Mine goes in next Monday for repair. All new gears and internals.....

And new shift forks. I will see if the dealer will install the Tri-Ax and bushings while apart.... Doubtful, they fought to change an oil pan gasket for hours with the Service Manager and Ford.....

Mike

I tried very hard to get them to crack the trans case just to look and make sure my gears have all their teeth. They just won't. However, they didn't notice the MGW...

cf6mech

Established Member
I am 99% sure the MT82 clutch will not work with the TR6060.

My point was mainly that the MT82 is not used on the S or R model for a reason as it would not stand the abuse. The point about the clutch is that its not the culprit , that the tranny is,... as is the remote shifter.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I picked up the car this morning, 15 days after dropping it off. The good - in the 3 miles between the dealer and work the clutch action and shifting felt better, crisper. The bad - there's a 1' crack in my windshield that wasn't there when I dropped it off. Lucky for me the service writer noted no crack in his pre-service inspection, so the dealership should replace it. This car is cursed, I'm convinced.

At my request they checked thrust on the crank while the trans was out, and they said it was in spec. Worth checking though; crank walk could explain the intermittent clutch issues and blown front crank seal. As for the leak, they put dye in and noticed nothing out of the ordinary so they think it may be residual from the first leak and said to bring it back in 500 miles.

All said and done, I got a new clutch, flywheel, TOB, pressure plate and slave cylinder. Total cost to Ford was $1215. The service writer told me there's no break in on the clutch, is that true? I thought it was ~500 miles stop and go before you could really drive it hard?

ihatepotholes

Established Member
I picked up the car this morning, 15 days after dropping it off. The good - in the 3 miles between the dealer and work the clutch action and shifting felt better, crisper. The bad - there's a 1' crack in my windshield that wasn't there when I dropped it off. Lucky for me the service writer noted no crack in his pre-service inspection, so the dealership should replace it. This car is cursed, I'm convinced.

At my request they checked thrust on the crank while the trans was out, and they said it was in spec. Worth checking though; crank walk could explain the intermittent clutch issues and blown front crank seal. As for the leak, they put dye in and noticed nothing out of the ordinary so they think it may be residual from the first leak and said to bring it back in 500 miles.

All said and done, I got a new clutch, flywheel, TOB, pressure plate and slave cylinder. Total cost to Ford was $1215. The service writer told me there's no break in on the clutch, is that true? I thought it was ~500 miles stop and go before you could really drive it hard?
im glad that they fixed your car. hopefully this is the last repair work for your boss. enjoy it in good health :beer:

oh btw, you the one of the coolest chick ever :thumbsup:

BADZL1

Shunned from C5!
Established Member
Went in yesterday and took a closer look at all the parts. The springs in the clutch disk are rattly, about-to-fall-out loose. They're supposed to be fixed. What the hell causes that?? They were implying whatever it was is my fault, asking all kinds of questions about my driving habits. I just kept repeating, I don't ride the clutch, I use the dead pedal; I don't power shift; and you can tell by my rear tires that the clutch wasn't slipping when I raced it. Hell, I put 30k miles on a used SpecIII in my 00 GT with ZERO issues.

I never smelled fried clutch; they say they did. I would know; I worked 4 years at a road course as a flagger, I can differentiate between brakes, clutch, oil, coolant, power steering - hell, I could probably tell you if the brake pads were ceramic or metallic! I never heard any clutch noises; no chatter, nothing. They say I should have (but they themselves didn't hear anything unusual?) It's just frustrating trying to get them to actually diagnose it instead of dismissing it as my bad driving.

I've already read up on that tart-tasting fruit law. They have 2 more tries or 18 more days.

I tried very hard to get them to crack the trans case just to look and make sure my gears have all their teeth. They just won't. However, they didn't notice the MGW...

Its not your fault. This has been going on awhile
Let me find you my sources on this. Brb
glad to see you did get it fixed. While its not going to keep me from getting a new boss.. I am surprised that Ford keeps having this issue since as early as 2010 maybe earlier than that.
Here is pretty much another guy with the same issue. Notice the broken clutch disc spring in the photo as well. Sound familiar?
Clutch on the Floor? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
107449d1335207126t-clutch-floor-022.jpg

not only that... there is a TSB that has been out awhile on this issue.
One can only assume this issue will repeat itself with the 13 Year Models so be prepared.

TSB 10-19-4 2011 Mustang Clutch Stayout at High RPM

ISSUE
Some 2011 Mustangs built on or before 4/25/2010 with a manual transmission and low mileage, typically 10,000 miles or less, may exhibit a clutch pedal stayout condition at very high engine RPM. This condition will generate a concern of the clutch pedal remaining on the floor during high engine RPM shifts. When engine RPM drops, clutch pedal operation returns to normal. but the re-engagement may be abrupt.

The clutch pedal Stayout is a condition where at DEALER CODING high engine RPM, centrifugal forces on the clutch CONDITION system can reduce the force with which the clutch BASIC PART NO. CODE diaphragm fingers push against the release bearing. 2455 01 This can result in the clutch pedal staying on the floor until engine RPM decreases and the diaphragm return force increases. 1. Replace the Brake Pedal and Bracket assembly.

Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 206-06.
PART NUMBER PART NAME BR3Z-2455-M Brake Pedal And Bracket (Black-3.7L/GT 5.0L w/Brembo Brakes) BR3Z-2455-P Brake Pedal And Bracket (Metallic-3.7L/GT 5.0L w/Brembo Brakes) BR3Z-2455-R Brake Pedal And Bracket (Black-GT 5.0L Standard Brakes) BR3Z-2455-T Brake Pedal And Bracket (Metallic-GT 5.0L Standard Brakes) NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do

TSB's do not mean there is for certain a problem with your Mustang. It just means that Ford has seen a lot of repairs for this particular problem, so they send a bulletin out to the dealers so they have general direction with warranties.

Last edited:

BADZL1

Shunned from C5!
Established Member
Well though I realize you did not have the clutch pedal dropping to the floor, the issue is certainly connected as anytime you have a clutch issue you are not going to be able to engage into another gear. Once a clutch disc or clutch component fails, you can hang it up. Its simply not going to shift. I hated to be the bearer of the bad news. I hope you don't sell your stang as there are many work a rounds on this issue on something as this. I am mentally prepared for this to happen to my boss when I get it so that way when it does, Ill already know who to blame and how to take care of it even if I have to go to lengths to fix it by myself. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if what Ford thinks is a pedal issue is actually bad clutches. The springs on my clutch disk were all lose to the point where I felt with a little persuasion they would fall out. I had a lot of good minds weigh in on the problem, including a friend I graduated with who is now a drivetrain engineer on the Corvette team at GM.

I hope this fixes it, but if not, I found out the dealer is also a Roush dealer and can install the "Roush twindisk" (ie Mcleod) and Ford should pick up the labor if this one has problems too.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Definitely not a thread I wanted to bump up...

I've been having the same issues, worse in fact, since the replacement of the clutch etc:

1. Took it to Royal Purple Raceway last month and of 8-10 passes, 3-4 had lockout in third gear. Two passes had gear grind in 2nd or 3rd. Once it went into third grinding bad and wouldn't come back out (if I pressed harder on the clutch pedal it would have been THROUGH the floor) so I just let the clutch out and it was fine :shrug:

2. I went on a 'spirited' cruise through the national forest 7/21. We were stuck behind some slowpokes, so our spiritedness was quite limited. As our speed was relatively low I left the car in 5th in order to enjoy some of the sweepers. At the end of a ~2 hr cruise the transmission was doing the "sticky shifter" thing it'd done before in traffic/at idle. "Sticky Shifter" is what the dealer is now calling it BTW. It feels like you're stirring cold molasses when you move the shifter through the gears. It just feels wrong, and the effort required to put it in any gear is enormous; I have to use both hands to get it into first when it gets like this. And this was from just driving on a road trip!

I took it in to the dealer Monday. Tuesday they call and say they can't duplicate any of the issues. I tell them to park it in a corner and let it run for a bit and call me back. They let it idle for 45 minutes, in neutral. I dropped by on my lunch break and my service writer says sure enough, it got super hard to shift. Weirdest thing they've ever seen. He went immediately to the GM and had him check it out. Well thank God, finally they see I'm not crazy or a hypochondriac.

On my way out I stop to talk to the head mechanic. He said something about lubing up the shifter....they forgot to tell him that it only got that way after getting hot! :fm: So I explain it to him, and I even drop the bomb on him - I'm a degreed Mechanical Engineer, I took classes on vehicle dynamics in school. I know a little bit about some stuff. I hate doing that, but I also hate being dismissed because I'm a girl etc. He said well, maybe its the clutch....What, the brand new clutch YOU just put in 2500 miles ago? :dw: He really had no idea what it could be.

This was yesterday. Today I call and call and call and finally get a call back. The mechanic lubed the shifter, they're going to see if that worked. If not, they might have to call Ford.

It took you three damn days to think to call Ford? CALL THEM RIGHT MEOW!!!!:cuss::cuss::cuss:

So that's that. Hopefully they'll have something for me tomorrow.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You need to tell them.. "Listen here meow, you replace this POS transmission with a T56 mag" lol.

That is some crazy trouble you're having though. I can't believe you seem to be the only person with this issue :(

sb03cobra

Established Member
Just had a 12 LS at my local dealer with a 5th gear issue. They rebuilt the trans and all is well. Good luck to you.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I'm experiencing lock-out from 2-3 and 3-4 while tracking my car. It's fine on the street. I'm sure I'd have issues from 4-5 but the top speeds at my local tracks don't call for 5th.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Just had a 12 LS at my local dealer with a 5th gear issue. They rebuilt the trans and all is well. Good luck to you.

I practically begged them to crack the case when the trans was out last time, just to look at the fluid. They refused.

I'm experiencing lock-out from 2-3 and 3-4 while tracking my car. It's fine on the street. I'm sure I'd have issues from 4-5 but the top speeds at my local tracks don't call for 5th.

The front straight @ TWS is definitely fast enough for 5th. The service writer told me they were unable to replicate the lockout at all, or the grinding, even though 4 techs, the GM and himself all tried.

Yeah, you read that right. Virtually the entire staff of the dealership has had an opportunity to rag on my car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread