5.8 in the new S550 SVT?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's funny, these horsepower wars are great for us but it seems they could hurt the aftermarket companies, or at least make them work harder, like Roush, Saleen, and Shelby. They're route used to be easy by just slapping a blower on the car or offering a package that revealed the true potential of the factory engine. Now the manufacturers are doing it out of the factory. In order for these aftermarket brands to offer premium performance over the factory vehicles they are going to need built motors and bigger blowers or go twin turbo to be relevant. Then they are going to have to redo their entire suspension and chassis dynamics to cope with it.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Is this with or without the BS 10-15K dealer mark up calculated. LOL. With the new HELLCAT/Z06 coming out.. "the new best thing" selling a used GT500 at $60k will be only a dream.

Also with the new Hellcat slap in the face by Dodge. I'm sure Ford is back to the drawing board with the new GT350/GT500.

I doubt Ford is going back to the drawing board because of the Hellcat lol. Nothing about the Hellcat is innovative, if anything they are arriving at the party rather late but fashionable. The 8 speed auto is the most appealing thing about that car so far.

Ford on the other had has been the leader of the big three in the pony car wars since 2003. Dodge and Chevy follow the innovation made by Ford. I would even argue that the Corvette ZR1 has a factory supercharged V8 because of Fords success with the Terminator and the GT500. So even if Ford doesn't release a car with over 707 HP you can bet there will be something unique about it, or it will be a car that is just in a different class than the other muscle cars.

Deranged2013

Established Member
So the Hellcat reached 700 plus horsepower, but with it weighing in at 4435 lbs. it still going to be slower than the current GT500. I don't think Ford is to worried. Dodge is still trying to catch up to Fords 2013 models.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Also in another thread someone who works for a supplier said that his company made certain parts which only fit the mod motor and not the coyote and he said they got a large order from Ford and he was quite sure some form of the Trinity would continue production.

interesting if true

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Trinity could be going into the Raptor. There's no rumors that point to it but with the 6.2 done for the Trinity would be a huge selling point for the new Raptor. The Trinity is done for now but the Raptor is a ways out so they could revive it for 16/17 whenever it comes out. That's what I'm betting on at least.

JD09GT500

Established Member
The company I work for builds the starters for 5.8. We are still building them and will continue to do so. Only thing that changed was our part number. Still the exact same part. I can't get into anymore detail than that. I have been with the company for 18 years and I want to keep my job.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I saw somewhere that a Ford spokesperson said the 5.8 would fit in the S550 with some modifications to the engine bay. I believe it was on mustang6g. The 6.2 is not dead as far as I know, it is still used in the super duty trucks. I heard the 5.8 engine line was no more though.

JD09GT500, can you or anyone else state whether or not that starter fits other engines as well?

My guess is that for a GT350-esque mustang, we will see a high-revving 5.0 or 5.2 N/A motor. For the GT500 replacement, whenever it comes out, we will see a supercharged motor of some kind. Just my guess.

Clemson

Established Member
Sorry folks, sounds like trinity is gone and so is the days of the blower:

"As we have reported since last summer, this new SVT Mustang is all motor—there's no supercharger.

It's derived from the 5.0-liter Coyote V8, with slightly higher displacement and a flat-plane crank. Expect a high-revving engine that pumps out 500+ hp. The massive HP battle has officially been ceded to Dodge and it's crazy 707-hp Hellcat V8. Ford proved its point already with the outgoing GT500 and is moving in a different direction entirely.

The Shelby GT350 is being positioned as a track star which, in the end, should be able to hold its own at the dragstrip as well. "

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
My guess is that there's going to be two different SVT Mustangs. GT350 as track oriented version with the GT350R being the track monster. Then a big horsepower GT500 for street and strip use. Just my guess of course but I don't see Ford sticking with only something equal to the Z28. And in a way they did this exact thing last gen with the GT500/Boss but this time around SVT will be doing both.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Ah, thank you for the link. I wonder what those comments are based on? I agree that the next SVT won't be a higher hp GT500 replacement, it will be a track focused car. That doesn't mean Ford isn't planning on a different variant to take on the hellcat though.

Clemson

Established Member
Ah, thank you for the link. I wonder what those comments are based on? I agree that the next SVT won't be a higher hp GT500 replacement, it will be a track focused car. That doesn't mean Ford isn't planning on a different variant to take on the hellcat though.

It wouldn't surprise me either way. A GT350 track car and a GT500 street terror.

s4awd

Established Member
Unless they add AWD or DSG to the new mustang, I can't imagine it being considerably faster than the outgoing GT500 or Hellcat. They're going after the M3/RS5 crowd and need to work on building something light and agile that would relate to the European crowd and do well on a road course. Maybe down the road when they've picked up a ton of awards and want to prove a point.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I know AWD would be a total direction change from the life blood of the Mustang....... BUT, it would then put it into a class and performance second to none.

AWD, with an engine similar to the 13/14 GT500...... This would set the world on notice.

Granted: AWD will add HUGE cost, huge weght, and HUGE potential for warranty claims. It would sure be a fun / expensive world dominating car!

Mike

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Unless they add AWD or DSG to the new mustang, I can't imagine it being considerably faster than the outgoing GT500 or Hellcat. They're going after the M3/RS5 crowd and need to work on building something light and agile that would relate to the European crowd and do well on a road course. Maybe down the road when they've picked up a ton of awards and want to prove a point.

Not sure if serious? The GT350 could be considerably faster than both around a race track without a DSG or AWD. Especially if this next car makes a decent amount more n/a than the Boss, is a little lighter with better suspension, brakes and much better weight distribution.

Users who are viewing this thread