5.0 vs 4.6

Blackgeetee

Established Member
If the PI headswapped car was slow, then it wasn't running right. These motors have 10:5 compression because the pistons are flatter topped than the 99+ creating more compression.

joegt38

Established Member
Everybody is going to tell you to get what they own cause they like what they drive.

The 5.0s are cheaper to mod.(like everybody said)
The 96-98 cost alittle more then the 5.0s to mod.(they can all be fast very easy).

The guy that ran 14.2-14.4-14.5 with an 03GT, What was your 60' & trap (thats slow brutha) I ran with a k&n on a stock auto 14.2 @ 99.

They are all easy and pretty cheap to mod & make fast. It all depends on where you want to start and what you want to do with it in the future.

joegt38

Established Member
Also if your going to just do light mods, Don't forget to get a gear that will wake up any 5.0 or 4.6L.

If you do like a CAI, MAF, T/B & full Exhaust like I said do the GEAR & DRs. For now you will be happy w/ that set-up.(light mods).

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
If the PI headswapped car was slow, then it wasn't running right. These motors have 10:5 compression because the pistons are flatter topped than the 99+ creating more compression.

Yep, it was pretty slow. And as far as I know, it was running right. He hadn't mentioned any problems to me. My girlfriends LT-1 felt like it was a lot faster. And all it has is pulleys and 4.10's.

89stang306

Established Member
Originally posted by joegt38
Everybody is going to tell you to get what they own cause they like what they drive.

Not everyone lol, I told him to get something I don't own. :thumbsup:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
Yep, it was pretty slow. And as far as I know, it was running right. He hadn't mentioned any problems to me. My girlfriends LT-1 felt like it was a lot faster. And all it has is pulleys and 4.10's.

Wow that sucks. I would have been mad if did all that work and there wasn't much improvement. I gained about 60rwhp with my swap. But the best part is it pulls strong all the way to 6000rpm unlike when stock when it dropped off after 4200. Looking at my graphs i actually gained almost 100!RWHP!!) at 6000rpm!!:beer:

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
Eh? Where did these numbers come from??

The real ones are....
95 and older.......215hp.......285-300lbs
96-97.................215hp........285lbs
98......................225hp.........290lbs

Shit I put down over 260lbs at the wheels STOCK.

Who really cares about stock numbers anyway right? No one leaves their's stock anyway.

There's no question that 5.0's are cheaper and easier to mod. Absolutely no argument from me there. The 5.0 is and always will be an awesome power plant. :beer:

I hope you are not talking about the 98 GT you have in your profile. If you are I am calling Bull Shit. The 96-98 GTs could barely beat a V6 scumaro so please dont tell me you have some kind of special edition or some such shit. Hell the Cobra in 98 was only putting down about 271 bone stock (RWHP). Not rying to flame ya but there is no friggin way.;-)

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by twisted89GT
I hope you are not talking about the 98 GT you have in your profile. If you are I am calling Bull Shit. The 96-98 GTs could barely beat a V6 scumaro so please dont tell me you have some kind of special edition or some such shit. Hell the Cobra in 98 was only putting down about 271 bone stock (RWHP). Not rying to flame ya but there is no friggin way.;-)

Okay, here's my dyno sheet from before the head work. :p

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
I thought you meant 260 RWHP. ......my fault. Is that bone stock?

Is that 206 RWHP and 266 RWTQ? :)

Last edited:

white99gt

Established Member
As far as 5.0 being better than a 4.6 ,the only way is the aftermarket(and i have owned both) .Power wise a bolt on gt esp the newer ones can do 270+ with no internal mods and run low 12's all day long with the right driver.

modulars dont split blocks when making good power.
mod cars love blowers better.

96~98 arent worth having unless they have at least a headswap.
The average 5.0 will eat it alive.

Dont get me wrong i love the 5.0 to.But ,you dont see many 5.0s putting down 500+ and getting 20+ mpg on the highway :coolman: on stock blocks.

But it boils down to money in either car.Speed cost money how fast do you want to go :burnout:

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Established Member
4.6's dont put out shit for torque. it's a proven fact.

Good lord get a clue guy. Stock vs Stock a 4.6 puts more torque down than a 5.0, just a little later in the power band. :rollseyes

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
stock for stock it the 4.6 puts down like 5 more lbs/ft or torque then the 5.0. how many naturally aspirated 4.6's, no juice or anything do you see putting out 425 flywheel horsepower? that's all i have to say. it can't be done. at least not yet, maybe years from now. mustangs and fast fords i believe are the ones who got 427hp out of a naturally aspirated 302.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by twisted89GT
Good numbers! Have you raced a 99-up car to see what would happen? That would be an interesting race.:)

I've never raced one actually. I put more power down than a stock one, but obviously NOBODY leaves their stangs stock anyway. Thanks..:beer:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
A stock 99+GT is nothing special. My speed density 87' w/ 3.73's and cold air could beat those off the line. But, at about 70mph the GT would start to catch up and eventually pass me.

Now a 96-98' w/o PI heads, my car bone stock had no problems with them at any area on the speedo.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Well my little 01 GT that makes no TQ or HP ran 13.62 with only a CAI. It put down 244 RWHP and 287 RWTQ in that trim also. No you want see any 4.6's making 425 on the motor. Then again you won't see that from 302 cubic inches either, not streetable power anyway. All out race engine sure.

It will end up being a preference thing. You can make anything fast with enough money. Chances are no matter which one you buy, you'll keep modding it for a while. It's adictive once you get started. I suggest driving good example of both in stock form and go from there.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread