5.0 vs 4.6

bullet 1

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the power at the wheels is for the 94-95 5.0 motor. And for the 4.6 96-98 Mustang. I would like to know because it has been on my mind for some time now.

THANKS...............what motor would you buy if you were just going to do light mods........headers,exhaust,you know.:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
From what I know 94-97 have 215 HP at the flywheel and the 98 has 225. Sorry dont know the rwhp probably like 190ish. I like my 4.6 but the 5.0 are cheaper and easier to mod I have heard. I guess it comes down to what your taste is. :rockon:

BTW get a 96-98 GT and do the PI headswap with some Nitrous ;-)

(Post 500 :rockon: )

Last edited:

bullet 1

Established Member
I LOVE THIS LITTLE ROCKON DUDE!!!!!!!!
THANKS!!!!!!ANYMORE THOUGHTS?:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Are you looking to get a 94-98 GT????:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Get the 5.0!

The :bowdown: 5.0 has less power stock, but the aftermarket is huge and cheap. I believe for the GT's. the 94/95's had 215, and the 96-98's had 230. If you plan on doing just minor mods, i would bet that you will start doing major mods once you get into it, its so much fun. Anyone with a :bowdown: 5.0 will push you that way, but those with the modulars will push you towards those. Personally, i love torque and the 5.0 packs a lot. But if you only plan to do minor mods, then get the 4.6. If you want to do heads/cam/intake in addition to the minor mods, then get the :bowdown: 5.0 and be modhappy. Whatever your decision, :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :beer:

hj16

Established Member
Definately get the 5.0L, usless a $1200 headswap is in you price range.

The 96-98GTs have ZERO balls until you do the headswap. With the head swap they are animals, butthats a different story.

The aftermarket is insanely huge for the 5.0 and parts are ultra cheap.

Plus if you get the 96-98GT, it'll suck being stock. They usually dyno stock in the 170-180rwhp range :xpl: But the headswapped ones dyno 250+rwhp:thumbsup:

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
Are you serious? That means a PI headswapped GT could beat a stock 94/95 cobra.
Yup. They typically make 15-20~rwhp more than a stock 99+GT.

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
That sucks. I need to watch out then. Well what i need to do is get heads and a bigger cam, then i wont have to worry about them. I cant wait til i have more money! Why do they make more power with just the headswap?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
Why do they make more power with just the headswap?

Because the 96-98's have different pistons that make more compression than the 99's. The compression ratio jumps to 10:5 with the PI's. I put down 262rwhp and 292lbs. That's about 70 more rwhp than stock. But here's the best part. At 6,000rpm the stock motor drops down to under 170rwhp, the PI motor keeps the power level near 260. So you're actually gaining almost 100rwhp at 6,000rpm!!:beer:

rocket5979

Established Member
Well if you want a newer car go with the 4.6 and mod it with the mods available. It will be more expensive, but there are certain tradeoffs in every decision. However the 5.0 is older (in available cars, and engine design) it is alot easier to mod for the money. There is aloooot of stuff out there for the 5.0 engine. It really is a toss up in my eyes. The best way for you to decide is to really think of what qualities you are looking for in a car you want and then list them and see which one more closely matches those qualities.

bullet 1

Established Member
dont they sound differnt?I will always have that 4.6 sound in my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What would the 0-60 times be on 5.0........and 1/4 mile time stock?

Scream'nCobra

Established Member
A 5.0 sounds much deeper and better in my opinion. I have a sound clip of my cobra, but i dont know how to post it. Not sure about the GT times, but the 94/95 cobra times were 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. 1/4 mile is high 13's. So take that as you will. Either way, i think you will enjoy a big engine over your focus.

281cipwr

Established Member
GO WITH THE NEW TECHNOLOGY !!! THERE WILL BE FAITH FOR US MOD GUYS SOON....LOTS OF PARTS STARTING TO COMEOUT ..AND WHEN THE 05'STANG COMES OUT ..DOWN DOWN DOWN THE PRICES GO !

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
94-95 GT's come with 215 stock and 96-97 GT's come with 215 stock. 98 GT has 225

Stock for stock 96-98 GT is faster but the aftermarket for a modular motors is more expensive than a pushrod motors. I would go with a modular motor and do a PI headswap, exhaust, gears and intake with some nitrous.

/Edit I've owned a 96 GT with just an exhaust. And now I have a 93 5.0 with a lot of stuff done and I like the 96 better actually. I'm not gunna get into a 96-98 Cobra.

Last edited:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
The Pushrods are addictive. I for one love the low end torque hit of the 5.0. The 94-95s were rated at 215. Just depends on your future plans for the car and what type of performance you are after, want a stout N/A engine, go for the 5.0, fairly cheap to build and a overwhelming aftermarket, though the 4.6 parts are getting cheaper, I just don't seem them being as cheap as 5.0 parts in the future. I for one would love to see the aftermarket come out with a bad ass 4.6 cylinder heads and intakes.

Users who are viewing this thread