5.0 F-150 project

hi-rev

ScreaminCoyote
Established Member
Good stuff man! I'm about to place an order on a 5.0 '15 rcsb and can't wait to start playing with it!

are you gonna be ordering it two wheel drive and if so what color and make sure when you make the order you get an xlt to get the better rear end, its cool that the stx comes out with PTM bumpers but the xlt always has the upgraded stuff in it and the chrome bumpers and grill can be painted and you get a better rear end and the nicer interior options

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
are you gonna be ordering it two wheel drive and if so what color and make sure when you make the order you get an xlt to get the better rear end, its cool that the stx comes out with PTM bumpers but the xlt always has the upgraded stuff in it and the chrome bumpers and grill can be painted and you get a better rear end and the nicer interior options

To my knowledge there's no STX in the new lineup, just xl and xlt. I priced both out and they're within a grand of each other with similar options, just hard to tell what the differences are besides the chrome, and privacy glass. Both trucks I optioned with 3.73's, what makes the xlt rear better?? I'm gonna order 4x4, need to tow/launch the boat and get through these Ny winters lol. Tossing up white or blue atm..

Sorry to hijack OP!!

hi-rev

ScreaminCoyote
Established Member
the rear ends were better in previous years on the xlts where the stx's options were only to a open diff and xlts had the electornic lockers with 355 gears and stx only 331 gears, atleast when i bought my truck

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Ahh ok, it seems now every trim level has the 3.31/3.55/3.73 locker options.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Ahh ok, it seems now every trim level has the 3.31/3.55/3.73 locker options.

I would suggest buying an open diff truck and then put a Eaton Tru track in. It acts like a LSD but has no cluthes. They have them for the 9.75 ford rear end.

The E locker is manually controlled by you (and it only works up to 25mph) yet the computer unlocks it at 25. It will come back on once you're below the speed. I think it stays locked if you're spinning the tires past 25 though....don't quote me on that.

Also I see you pricing out reg cab 5.0. It would be nice if you had the time and money to make it nice interior wise but you're getting a work truck with regular cab. The tremor is the only one with "upgrade" interior. 2014 stx is a cloth bench seat with a radio and they had a sticker price for 34. :shrug:

Even a brand new XL is way more than I would have ever guessed.

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I would suggest buying an open diff truck and then put a Eaton Tru track in. It acts like a LSD but has no cluthes. They have them for the 9.75 ford rear end.

The E locker is manually controlled by you (and it only works up to 25mph) yet the computer unlocks it at 25. It will come back on once you're below the speed. I think it stays locked if you're spinning the tires past 25 though....don't quote me on that.

Also I see you pricing out reg cab 5.0. It would be nice if you had the time and money to make it nice interior wise but you're getting a work truck with regular cab. The tremor is the only one with "upgrade" interior. 2014 stx is a cloth bench seat with a radio and they had a sticker price for 34. :shrug:

Even a brand new XL is way more than I would have ever guessed.

I'll hafta look into that. I wish they'd offer the Lariat in a reg cab, while they probably wouldn't sell like hotcakes, I'd definitely say there's a market that wants a standard cab with nicer features!

5.0Fix

Established Member
Update, after install I had a few hiccups but all is resolved.
-First, truck had lots of power but was loud. While it sounded good in the garage and on YouTube vids I miss judged how it would vibrate the floorboards and set off car alarms lol. So after a week and a half I pulled the Magnaflow and reinstalled the factory cat back for now. It's almost stock sounding but you hear a lot more coming from the headers through the floorboards. Kinda unsure what direction to go at this point because I know I'm giving up some power but I can't stand a really loud exhaust. Looking at the Solo Mach X right now but open for suggestions on this.
-Second, under normal driving the truck had just a little surge under acceleration. Brad said he could fix it but needed data-logs. Being that I don't have a laptop or wifi I had to work on weekends with a buddy to figure out what program we needed and how to do it. And their is no SCT tech support on weekends lol. But we eventually figured it out. Brad sent me a new tune last weekend and the truck is running great. Drives about like stock till you put your foot down.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
If you want some rumble without being overly loud, consider a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. I have one on my '02 Explorer V8 and it's fantastic! You get that FM tone, no drone and it's obvious you have a V8 when going WOT.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Data logging is easy to do and you'll be glad you did. At least you wont have to solder some wires to hook up widebands like some of us did. The hardest part is just picking the correct parameters that your tuner wants and he will be able to tell you exactly where they are. I use the ancient Xcal-2 and SCT live wire 6.5 zero problems. You'll be fine.

speaking of loud exhaust, i honestly cant stand my full 3" catless on my truck some times.

Users who are viewing this thread