40x60x12 shop

SGT MERC

Established Member
Lmao... All is correct, except the stripper pole. That's going on the kitchen island.
My brother is physically handicapped, so a 20x40, ADA compliant, apartment is going in there for him. My mother died just over 12 months ago and I wasn't gonna leave him in PA by himself.... So I moved him out here with me. I already have an oversized 2 car garage, but I wanted the shop so in the future I can convert my 2 car garage into a large bedroom so I can live on one floor when I'm older. I'm already 56 and I have a 2 story house. My brother needing to come out here with me simply accelerated the shop having to be built. I wasn't planning on building it for another 3 yrs, when my truck is paid off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SGT MERC

Established Member
The building itself, with cement work was less than 50k. 400 ft of water line with one frost spicot and shutoff valve was 1800 and the underground power to the shop is 1200, which took a day and a half to build. The pad, with 8 loads of clay brought in, was 2k.

Last edited:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
So the structure itself is sitting on ground with concrete poured around it?

It’s a pole structure with the build itself supported by the poles extending from the ground footings, whether on concrete or encased. They then install grade boards around the perimeter.

SGT MERC

Established Member
The 6x6 posts are sunk 5' in the ground. They then run a treated 2x4 around the outside perimeter of the poles to help plumb the posts, as well as the 2x4's level. Build the building, keeping the posts plumb, then set the trusses. When the building, rat guard, siding and roofing is done, dig/trench in plumbing, if it has any. The cement then gets poured to the top of the treated 2x4 and finished. The concrete ties and seals an already sturdy building.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I will eventually. It'll be angled off to the right side of the door. When the cement work is done, there will be a thicker pour where the lift supports will be.

Make sure the lift is within arms reach of the stripper pole. That way the big ladies can ride the lift up and slide back down the pole.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lmao... All is correct, except the stripper pole. That's going on the kitchen island.
My brother is physically handicapped, so a 20x40, ADA compliant, apartment is going in there for him. My mother died just over 12 months ago and I wasn't gonna leave him in PA by himself.... So I moved him out here with me. I already have an oversized 2 car garage, but I wanted the shop so in the future I can convert my 2 car garage into a large bedroom so I can live on one floor when I'm older. I'm already 56 and I have a 2 story house. My brother needing to come out here with me simply accelerated the shop having to be built. I wasn't planning on building it for another 3 yrs, when my truck is paid off.

Thanks for adding the back story details, Marty. You're a great brother to take your physically disabled brother back to OK to live with you. I'm sure he is so happy being with you and seeing his life take such a positive turn after you mom passed. Oh, and that huge garage/apartment/more is looking awersome at this point. Can't wait to see interior photos once it's done.

OX1

Established Member
One thing I would add (and did) before putting in floor, is conduits that run all over the place, so you can run new circuits to specific parts of the barn. 5 years from now.

Also, I ran smaller conduits back to house for outdoor light switches (to control from house garage), internet, security cameras, etc...

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread