3rd Party Pic Hosting is a Thing of the Past on SVTP

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
3rd Part Pic Hosting is a Thing of the Past on SVTP

bwe2.jpg

If you have visited any forums over the past few months you may have noticed what I have lovingly termed the “Picocalypse”. In short one of the major 3rd Party photo hosting sites decided to change their hosting policies and block all hotlinked images. What that means is that every photo that member hosted on Photobucket and then posted on the forum was essentially lost.

I don’t have to tell you that pics make up a major part of a successful forum. Without these pics thousands of invaluable tech and how-to threads are rendered essentially useless. The Terminator FAQ thread was heavily hit, along with massive losses in the S197 and S550 forums. To compound the issue Imgur has also blocked hotlinking on SVTP. Needless to say, tens of thousands of threads have been affected. And this issue goes far beyond SVTP, it has affected forums all over the world. Decades of useful information was gone with the flip of a programmer’s switch, and all we were left with was this image:

bwe.jpg

But if you’ve been an SVTP member for more than 5 minutes you had to know that we weren’t going to just stay on the canvas. Over the past 30-or-so days we have been working to restore all the lost photos. To give you an idea of the scale of this operation we managed to recover ~500,000 photos from Photobucket alone. This hasn’t been the simplest task; and we have had to dedicate a lot of server resources to complete it, including adding more storage space. We had a dedicated team working behind the scenes to pull this off, and I can’t thank them enough.

So now that this crisis has been averted, what can we do to make sure we don’t find ourselves in this situation again? First, we have an excellent attachment and hosting utility built right into the SVTP forum software. It also works with the SVTP Ap (available in the Apple and Google Ap stores). If you aren’t familiar with this utility give this tutorial video a look:

Finally, you can help support SVTP so we can continue to operate the site and curate decades of Ford Performance tech information. This one software endeavor required about a week of work, added ~130GB of data to the database, and required hardware additions and modifications to our servers. It was not an inexpensive undertaking. We have many other upgrades planned for the site for 2018, and if you would like to support SVTP and help us pay for these software modifications please consider becoming an SVTP Premium Member. You can do so by clicking the link below:

-SID297

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I was wondering what was up with all the "3rd party hosting has been disabled" pics. I'm glad you guys are recouping so many of them though! Yet another reason I love this site.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thats impressive work, I wasnt even sure something like that was doable.

I know a lot of people, myself included, used 3rd party hosting because we had seen things uploaded directly to a forum got nuked because they didnt keep up with it, what a backfire that turned out to be...

before getting the premium membership, Id seen some complaints about some adds and such not being removed - has that been resolved?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Done. Just added premium membership. Thank you all for the efforts. The community really appreciates it.

One thing: please offer another method to pay. I *hate* PayPal. They limit our second amendment rights through corporate activism. Not something I am fond of.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
thats impressive work, I wasnt even sure something like that was doable.

I know a lot of people, myself included, used 3rd party hosting because we had seen things uploaded directly to a forum got nuked because they didnt keep up with it, what a backfire that turned out to be...

before getting the premium membership, Id seen some complaints about some adds and such not being removed - has that been resolved?

I put the order in to work on that this morning.

Done. Just added premium membership. Thank you all for the efforts. The community really appreciates it.

One thing: please offer another method to pay. I *hate* PayPal. They limit our second amendment rights through corporate activism. Not something I am fond of.

Thanks for signing up. Other than mailing a bank check or MO, what would you suggest? There are only so many options that will work with the forum software.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, another reason why this is the only forum I invest my time in. THE Best! Huge thanks to Travis and all of the admin staff, mods, etc. You folks deserve it. Oh, and I just did the drag & drop to post the image below. Can't get much easier than that. ;)
thank-you.png

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for signing up. Other than mailing a bank check or MO, what would you suggest? There are only so many options that will work with the forum software.

Sorry to be a curmudgeon. lol. There are probably smarter folks to ask for SVTP's specific needs; however I did find this link for alternatives. I don't know what is involved or if this would work for SVTP:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/top-12-alternatives-paypal/

Please don't let my comment overshadow my gratitude. I've been a member for many years. I don't own a Ford anymore and don't see buying one anytime in the future. But SVTP is my go-to. Everyday. Thank you.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sorry to be a curmudgeon. lol. There are probably smarter folks to ask for SVTP's specific needs; however I did find this link for alternatives. I don't know what is involved or if this would work for SVTP:

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/top-12-alternatives-paypal/

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that are supported are Apple, Google, and Amazon based. I don't think any of those would address your original gripe. We do accept gold and silver coins though.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Thanks for the fix Travis and Team, after almost 12 years I decided to go ahead and become a Premium Member. Thanks again!

BTW, my paypal address is the same as my username here, forgot to put my username in the notes of the payment.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Great work, i'm sure it will make posting a picture much easier. Thanks !

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Thank you so much... I curse photobucket everytime i look at a thread with their image. I'll be purchasing a membership from you!!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP great resource, no problem a few bucks to the cause.
Thanks for all you do Travis.
And my hand made an appearance on your PRI vid :)
-J

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I went through my build thread and manually deleted all the photobucket images and hotlinked Flickr pics. Such a pain.

No need to go through that, you can directly host them on SVTP.

SVTP great resource, no problem a few bucks to the cause.
Thanks for all you do Travis.
And my hand made an appearance on your PRI vid :)
-J

You're now YouTube famous.

Are the pictures resizing automatically now?

No, but that is a modification we're trying to make. It's a bit difficult for security reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread