3.27 gears

eebj01

Established Member
I used to be of the opinion that you went with gears that would put you at the top of the power band in a 1:1 transmission gear for at the track. That flat out is not correct with a turbo car. I can say that from not only my experience but from my tuners experience with any turbo car from a total street car to a 6 second car. I trapped 131 mph with 3.73's in the car. I had an automatic. Same exact setup, tune, etc and went with 3.55's and it trapped 146. Went to 3.31's (because I couldn't believe that going to 3.27's would have been good...ie brainwashed over the years about gears) and it trapped 151, again, exact tune with same boost level. I had larger turbos on the car and they were terrible to get to spool with 3.73's. The switch to 3.55's was amazing and to 3.31's was still very noticeable by the seat of the pants.

What we have to realize with a small 281" engine is that they are all turbo. Load the hell out of it and let the turbo (s) do the work. For anyone that doesn't believe this, try it. Go to the track with 3.73's and then put in 3.27's and give it an honest unbias effort and you'll be amazed. Doesn't sound like it makes sense but it definitely is a big difference.

10 years ago or more, when turbos started appearing regularly in SSO and Pro 50, they weren't all that much faster if at all than their supercharged or nitrous competition. That was because they were installed on the same setup as previous with a supercharger or nitrous. Once they started playing around with them, one of the big things was gearing. It is relevant what MMR said as it shows the difference in setup from a supercharged car to a turbo car. As MMR stated, look at the gears they run. Remember, that's on a big tire too. I realize you have to have the mechanical ability to go 200 mph through air but the supercharged, nitrous, and naturally aspirated cars aren't running those gears.

You have to load the engine to get the turbos to spool. Just do a burnout and you'll see. You probably won't even hear the turbo during the burnout unless you let the rpm come down a bit and let the tires start to grab a bit. Then you'll hear the turbo start to whistle away as the engine gets loaded and you'll feel the power come one.

I would say, in a 700 rwhp setup with a 6 speed, I would start with 3.55's and try 3.31's. In an automatic setup, 3.31's for sure. More power, say 900-1000 rwhp, I would go right to 3.27's and maybe even 3.08's with a loose converter automatic. Just my .02 cents.

TRBO VNM

thanks eeb. confirms what I was thinking. I am throwing 3.31's in this weekend to build my solid, but I am still on the eaton. just slowly building the car for the turbo.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I trapped 131 mph with 3.73's in the car. I had an automatic. Same exact setup, tune, etc and went with 3.55's and it trapped 146. Went to 3.31's (because I couldn't believe that going to 3.27's would have been good...ie brainwashed over the years about gears) and it trapped 151, again, exact tune with same boost level.
You've failed to mention a very important part of the equation...Obviously a car that has the ability to trap 151 mph and having 3.73's would be a very bad combo. That's why you gained so much switching to different gears. You were making over a 1000 hp, which is WAY more power than the average joe on here so, again, it's sort of an inaccurate comparison. You were also running a Stall, something we 6 speed guys don't have the option of.

My car trapped 131 with 3.73's and 600 hp and there's no way 3.27's or even 3.55's would gain me much if any mph in the quarter. I simply don't have the HP for it. As my power goes up, yes different gears will work better, but right now? Nope.

You've even mentioned you were swapping gears because you were running out of RPM crossing the line. That still doesn't explain why you were only trapping 131 with 3.73's and 1000 hp. 3.73's should still take you over 140 mph at 7000 rpm. Especially with anything over 800 hp.

Assuming a trap speed of 131 (which is pretty typical for the average 600 hp turbo car)...Here is roughly what anyone would be crossing the line at, and a 26" tire (28's would even be worse):
131 mph + 3.27 = 5600 in 4th
3.31 = 5700 in 4th
3.55 = 6000 in 4th
3.73 = 6400 in 4th
Your 152 mph + 3.31 = 6500 rpm in a 1:1 gear. Sounds about right with 1000 hp. Nobody with 600 or 700 hp will even come close to 150 mph with a 4000 lb car regardless of the gear they choose. So suggesting that someone trapping 131 will pick up that kind of MPH by going with 3.27s or 3.31s is plain rediculous. Someone trapping 131 who switches to 3.27's will now be crossing the line just after they shift into 4th which is NOT ideal, or recommended by anyone and will probably lose some ET in the quarter.

You mention the Pro 5.0 guys and the 200 mph cars... Why don't you ask them what RPM they cross the line, and where their power bands are. And AGAIN, comparing a 200 mph all drag car to the average street turbo car is simply stupid. Nothing is the same between the two.

You have to load the engine to get the turbos to spool. Just do a burnout and you'll see. You probably won't even hear the turbo during the burnout unless you let the rpm come down a bit and let the tires start to grab a bit. Then you'll hear the turbo start to whistle away as the engine gets loaded and you'll feel the power come one.

It's not a question of load...Load = throttle position and we all race at WOT, so it comes down to at which RPM you are at WOT, and how much exhaust energy you have at that RPM, that's what spools the turbo/s. At 3k rpm my twin setup doesn't build crap for boost. I want a gear that's going to get me up into my power band fast where all my exhaust energy is so I can get those turbos spooled. 3.27's WILL NOT do that for me or any other average turbo'd cobra.

A 5.0 fox with a 3.35 1st gear, a single 62mm-70mm turbo that only makes power to 5800, 3.27's would absolutely be the better gear. A 4.6L with a 2.66 1st gear and a 76mm turbo that makes power to 6500, 3.27's are not the better gear. It really is that simple.

Last edited:

primo

Established Member
i'll let you guys know what I trap with the 3.27's very soon.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I'd also like to add for those who are considering tall gears... Gear ratio has an impact on the life of certain drivetrain parts.

For example:

4.10's, 4.30's you are putting a lot of stress on the axles/rearend because of the torque multiplication. 3.27's, 3.31's you are putting a lot of stress on the transmission/clutch. You will need a REALLY good clutch and definitely a 26 spline input shaft to be reliable.

So for those of you considering tall gears, don't be surprised if you start to have clutch failures or trans related problems when running a lot of power.

Mike@TCI

Established Member
Even in a 600 horse car, you'll be shifting quite fast in the low gears, with a 373 gear. The 327 gear will give more average power over a longer period of time. Average power is what makes for a quick car ( at the track), not just peak h/p.
I speak from personal experience,, and I opted for the 327 gear.

Then again, I run a stalled, stock 4R70W, which shifts at 6k, and makes 700ftlbs to the tire.

Last edited:

brunocobratt

Established Member
Even in a 600 horse car, you'll be shifting quite fast in the low gears, with a 373 gear. The 327 gear will give more average power over a longer period of time. Average power is what makes for a quick car ( at the track), not just peak h/p.
I speak from personal experience,, and I opted for the 327 gear.

Then again, I run a stalled, stock 4R70W, which shifts at 6k, and makes 700ftlbs to the tire.
you are right, thanks for the info
just installed the 3.27 it feels much better :beer:

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I got a question. My boost comes on between 3-4k depending on how I drive it but on average around 3.5k Not sure on what power it is making at 16 psi. When I floor it in first gear I never see 16 psi, it usually only goes to 10 psi or so. It is not till 2 gear and up that I see the boost gage hit 16 lbs. I still have the stock gears in the rear end. If I am in 4th going about 60 and floor it the boost gage starts moving at about 3k, but I can be in second gear going 40mph and the boost gage does not move til 3.5k

Anybody have any reason why it does this in first gear? Seems like it is getting through the gear too fast and I have to shift before it makes peak boost. Granted the majority of the time the tires will break loose at 5k and redline comes too quickly after that.

Last edited:

tommygun

Established Member
I make 760rwhp on pump gas and will likely be putting a 3.08 in the car with a 6spd.

it traps 139-140 now, would like to see 144-145 when sorted out

DUMBASS

Banned
I got a question. My boost comes on between 3-4k depending on how I drive it but on average around 3.5k Not sure on what power it is making at 16 psi. When I floor it in first gear I never see 16 psi, it usually only goes to 10 psi or so. It is not till 2 gear and up that I see the boost gage hit 16 lbs. I still have the stock gears in the rear end. If I am in 4th going about 60 and floor it the boost gage starts moving at about 3k, but I can be in second gear going 40mph and the boost gage does not move til 3.5k

Anybody have any reason why it does this in first gear? Seems like it is getting through the gear too fast and I have to shift before it makes peak boost. Granted the majority of the time the tires will break loose at 5k and redline comes too quickly after that.

what you are seeing in first gear is one on the big reasons why people change to a longer gear ratio.

goat-ee

Established Member
Anyone running in the 500rwhp range with a manual transmission got a before and after 1/4 mile times? I have a 4.10 in my 96 Cobra (mods in sig), and wanting to know what the real world (not theoretical) gains would be?

tommygun

Established Member
The car needs 3.55s to make the turbo work, turbos like load.

Where did you have your car tuned?

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Anyone running in the 500rwhp range with a manual transmission got a before and after 1/4 mile times? I have a 4.10 in my 96 Cobra (mods in sig), and wanting to know what the real world (not theoretical) gains would be?

I don't have track times for you but I went from 4.10's to 3.27's and it's a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread