3.27 gears

primo

Established Member
I have these in my SRA now, turbo goes on in a couple of weeks. Is this too much gear or will it help load the turbo and possibly get it to spool faster?

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I have these in my SRA now, turbo goes on in a couple of weeks. Is this too much gear or will it help load the turbo and possibly get it to spool faster?

Pretty sure it will load the turbo up and help your spool time. It was my next mod if I was keeping my car.

Greg@RET

Established Member
I am currently pulling out my 3.55's for some 3.27's. I am doing it for more gear in the 1/4 though. With the 2 speed I was already crossing over 7k.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I run 3.31s in mine. Basically the same as the 3.27s. Huge difference over the 3.73s I pulled out. Power comes on better, plus I can keep it in the powerband more. Traction is much better as well. I also swapped to a set of 28" DRs for street driving and my car now hooks in 1st on the street because of the much longer gear ratio.

shhak

Established Member
Not to hyjack, but what gears would you "pros" recommend for my 9"? Going with a 5.4 and a big set of twins, oh and some 28" tires.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Same here, went from 3.73:1 with supercharger/N20 to 3.27:1 with TT setup and the lower gear helped spool and traction. Perfect.

MJ

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
3.27's are a great choice for most street cars that also see the strip, they make the gears last longer which anyone with a turbo can appreciate! We run 2.81's in our Outlaw car which weighs over 3200 lbs. Good luck with your gear swap!

MM%20FF%20launch.jpg

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It more depends on your HP level, spool up time, and a bunch of other variables. IMO, it's wrong (read: bad info) for a 7 second outlaw car to even reply to this thread, as it's ENTIRELY a different setup. No offense MMR, but really?

There is not one right answer. For some cars 3.27's are all wrong. For others 3.73's are all wrong. It also depends on which transmission you're running. Stock 6 speeds have a tall 1st gear which makes 3.27's feel like 3.08's in 5 speed cars and depending on spool up you'll absolutely get slaughtered through an intersection on the street by anything with 150 hp. I know this, I've had numerous turbo cars/turbo setups with gear ratios from 3.08's to 4.30's. All with manual transmissions. It really comes down to what you're using the car for. If you're drag racing, 3.27's can easily be a bad choice.

Currently I'm running 3.73's and they're just right for my current setup. They took me to a 10.77@131 with plenty of room to grow.

Post up your combo, and we can give you a better idea of which gear will work for you.

Last edited:

candyroush

Established Member
^^^^^ i agree, i run 3.27 in my car but i have a t45. 1st gear is 3.37. in a t56 1st is 2.66, big difference! i had 3.73s and stepped down to 3.27s and im happy with the results

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
hellion cobra, 21psi and the stock 6 speed.

Which exhaust housing? Is 21 psi your goal, or are you planning to work up to that eventually? You probably don't know what you'll be shifting at...

At 21 psi you'll be making enough power to make 3.27's work, but I honestly think 3.55's would be a better choice. It depends on how high you plan to rev it I guess too.

primo

Established Member
I ran my previous hellion cobra to 7K RPM and I had 3.73's in it. It was fun on the streets and I think after hearing people say the 3.27s will be a dog on the street, I'll switch back.

matai70

Established Member
Im curious I currently have a mach 1 with twin 61 running the stock 5 speed with the 3.38 first gear. Im getting ready to go into the rear end and was looking at which rear gear i should run. Currently i still have the 3.55 back there I trap 124 at 11.8 with a 26" tire was probably gonna step up to a 28" tire and get some 3.27. I was wondering if that would be a good idea?

Thanks

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Im curious I currently have a mach 1 with twin 61 running the stock 5 speed with the 3.38 first gear. Im getting ready to go into the rear end and was looking at which rear gear i should run. Currently i still have the 3.55 back there I trap 124 at 11.8 with a 26" tire was probably gonna step up to a 28" tire and get some 3.27. I was wondering if that would be a good idea?

Thanks
You'll need a couple hundred more hp to make 3.27's and 28's work. You'll be crossing the line halfway through 3rd gear if you go with those tires and gears at your power right now. It'll kill your top end.

The only reason people should step down in gears is because they're running out of RPM in 4th. That's the only reason the big HP cars go to 3.27's or 3.08's, they need those gears to get through the finish line without over revving their engines crossing the line.

Turbo 5.0's like 3.27's because they only make power to 6k. Turbo 4.6's generally make power well over 6500, so we can use deeper gears.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
You'll need a couple hundred more hp to make 3.27's and 28's work. You'll be crossing the line halfway through 3rd gear if you go with those tires and gears at your power right now. It'll kill your top end.

The only reason people should step down in gears is because they're running out of RPM in 4th. That's the only reason the big HP cars go to 3.27's or 3.08's, they need those gears to get through the finish line without over revving their engines crossing the line.

Turbo 5.0's like 3.27's because they only make power to 6k. Turbo 4.6's generally make power well over 6500, so we can use deeper gears.

This is why Im keeping the 3.73's for now at least, I don't think Ill go lower that 3.55's if I need a gear change. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread