2025 RAM 1500 | MotorWeek First Drive - No More HEMI V8

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Before I bought my Raptor I was going for a Ram rebel…. NO thanks . That 5.7 was gutless and the they don’t even offer the 6.4 …… not sorry it’s gone at all. I’d take the hurricane over the Hemi any day of the week

GM and RAM didn't have anything to compete with the 3.5 ecoboost when I bought my new truck.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
How much money will Daimler, or Fiat or whoever the **** owns dodge and ram decide to lose before they bring back the V8? 2 billion? 3 billion? 5 billion? The hemi is the biggest reason people buy that junk, it would be the same if Nike decided to not make the air Jordan brand in 2025. The loss to the company is going to be epic.

Isn't the apache a POS? I have heard of many problems with this motor. Same with the TRX hellcat motor.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I absolutely love the looks. And if I HAD to buy a 6 cylinder, I'd take the inline over a V any time, especially Ford's garbage ecocrap motor. But I don't trust the new motor. The Hemi was a proven piece, and I've read a few things that suggest the Hurricane can be a pain for some service items.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
do any of you guys that like the ecoboost, work on them yourselves? this is always a factor in my decisions and why i chose what i did.

i think I’d rather have a coyote ford truck than the EB, just because i’m more familiar with the platform and that one is proven bigly.

i will say i was very baffled at the AFM lifters in my manual ZLE, the function is not activated by the software, but the hardware was there…i couldn’t believe it.

also, just looked at the prices for these half ton trucks and ELL OHH ELL

Impact13

Established Member
do any of you guys that like the ecoboost, work on them yourselves? this is always a factor in my decisions and why i chose what i did.

i think I’d rather have a coyote ford truck than the EB, just because i’m more familiar with the platform and that one is proven bigly.

i will say i was very baffled at the AFM lifters in my manual ZLE, the function is not activated by the software, but the hardware was there…i couldn’t believe it.

also, just looked at the prices for these half ton trucks and ELL OHH ELL

I’ve had 2 different 3.5 eco boost motors and loved them. They are very smooth and powerful but average 15 mpg in mostly city driving. Haven’t put many miles on them or had one longer than 5 years. So never needed to work on them outside of maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve had 2 different 3.5 eco boost motors and loved them. They are very smooth and powerful but average 15 mpg in mostly city driving. Haven’t put many miles on them or had one longer than 5 years. So never needed to work on them outside of maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I ride in a navigator and f150 often and do like the power delivery, and I can tell we are moving out for what they are...despite the sound, I will give it kudos. But the last 3 fords owned by our office are those 2(cam phasers on both, both individuals gripe about tranny often) so I have steered clear...and the other was my gt350 that was the most expensive pile I've ever seen. So just not a good track record, but very small sample size.

I'm just wondering if one can be kept longer term, they may be easy to work on, i just have no experience with that. And my coworkers definitely aren't working on their own stuff.

My camaro for example, I was drooling over cam packages and knew I couldn't afford it...my warranty got voided early on for ridiculous stuff(CAI, cat back) and dad said 'son, we can do that at the shop', and it being pushrod, well, we did lol. Saved a butt ton on labor and learned in the process. I'm just guessing those days are over as even the camaro required lots of cussing and the ecoboost looks even more crammed/busy

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I ride in a navigator and f150 often and do like the power delivery, and I can tell we are moving out for what they are...despite the sound, I will give it kudos. But the last 3 fords owned by our office are those 2(cam phasers on both, both individuals gripe about tranny often) so I have steered clear...and the other was my gt350 that was the most expensive pile I've ever seen. So just not a good track record, but very small sample size.

I'm just wondering if one can be kept longer term, they may be easy to work on, i just have no experience with that. And my coworkers definitely aren't working on their own stuff.

My camaro for example, I was drooling over cam packages and knew I couldn't afford it...my warranty got voided early on for ridiculous stuff(CAI, cat back) and dad said 'son, we can do that at the shop', and it being pushrod, well, we did lol. Saved a butt ton on labor and learned in the process. I'm just guessing those days are over as even the camaro required lots of cussing and the ecoboost looks even more crammed/busy

After reading many articles and watching many vids, ecoboost does not tolerate dirty oil or owner neglect. Since I may own my current one longer, I decided to install the Insane Diesel bypass filter. Clean oil will never clog a oil passage screen or allow soot particulate to excessively wear timing chains.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Phasers were the biggest and most expensive repair I saw with the 3.5s that was relatively common when I was working as an advisor. The engines didn't require any additional considerations really for difficulty that many other engines often do, and I never had a tech complain to me about them being difficult to work on. Only addition I took into consideration when writing an estimate was including the valve covers for the phaser/timing chain replacement as we had a few valve covers crack upon removal due to the excessive heat. As far as working on them, they were relatively straight forward for the techs and very few issues or challenges arose in the process.

In that business that's all you really want. You want to be able to sell the customer on the initial estimate amount and that's it. You don't want any unforseen additions that you'll need to call and sell to the customer while in process. The 5.7 Hemi are the exact opposite. Complete engines are often recommended in place of repairs depending in mileage and how the customer maintains the vehicle just because of the potential for issues to arise during or after repairs. That actually goes for almost all the FCA engines, the 3.6 and 2.4 specifically as well.

beau t

Established Member
Speaking of the newer Dodges your not hooking up to them with a scanner without paying for a yearly subscription so pulling up codes and so forth becomes more troublesome. If I'm wrong on this someone please correct me, tried to hook up to a 21 challenger the other day with my snapon scanner and was asked for internet service and a code.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Speaking of the newer Dodges your not hooking up to them with a scanner without paying for a yearly subscription so pulling up codes and so forth becomes more troublesome. If I'm wrong on this someone please correct me, tried to hook up to a 21 challenger the other day with my snapon scanner and was asked for internet service and a code.
I’ve pulled codes with my amazon scanner on my 22 TRX, gonna take a wild guess I’m not getting the detail you are…but the codes were correct and what they ended up fixing on my warranty ticket

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

I get that on our Alldata scanner and I just hit skip and I'm able to scan it.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
How much money will Daimler, or Fiat or whoever the **** owns dodge and ram decide to lose before they bring back the V8? 2 billion? 3 billion? 5 billion? The hemi is the biggest reason people buy that junk, it would be the same if Nike decided to not make the air Jordan brand in 2025. The loss to the company is going to be epic.

Unfortunately due to the EPA V8s are going the way of the dinosaur.

And the Hemi is low down on the list of why people buy their product. Cushy interiors and ride is probably #1. People wouldn't care if it was powered by a hamster on a wheel if it had a big enough touchscreen and soft enough seats.

There's a lot of this coming across the board in the industry. New cybersecurity rules mean everyone is walling off their own little garden, and they sure don't want you playing in it.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
FCA is a complete pain in the ass when it comes to programming and has been for years now. Last shop I worked at didn't even bother with the factory programming for FCA because it's just not worth the hassle. We had Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes, and others, but there's a few that aren't worth the trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread