2022 NFL Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The texans and browns are in a race to the bottom…
The Texans look to be in a decent spot with all of the draft picks they have. It is the Texans though and if anyone can screw it up they can.
I don't have an issue with Jones taking it, I have an issue with him being offered that much. Things are getting out of control with these QB contracts. Safe to say only Patrick earned his. All the rest had losing records.

1. Aaron Rodgers (Packers): $50.3 million (3-year, $150.8 million contract)
2. Russell Wilson (Broncos): $49 million (5-year, $245 million contract)
3. Kyler Murray (Cardinals): $46.1 million (5-year, $230.5 million contract)
4. Deshaun Watson (Browns): $46 million (5-year $230 million contract)
5. Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs): $45 million (10-year $450 million contract)

I'm not a Lamar hater but his style of play makes it dangerous to guarantee a lot of money to.
The QB contracts are getting so crazy that I wonder if we don't start seeing changes in that position or special salary cap rules to offset it. How on earth are you supposed to put a team together like this? Did Brock Purdy show the league that it's possible to spend the money on all of the other positions and go with a QB that is average to slightly above average? I don't know what the answer is, but something has to give.

VegasMichael

Established Member
The Texans look to be in a decent spot with all of the draft picks they have. It is the Texans though and if anyone can screw it up they can.

The QB contracts are getting so crazy that I wonder if we don't start seeing changes in that position or special salary cap rules to offset it. How on earth are you supposed to put a team together like this? Did Brock Purdy show the league that it's possible to spend the money on all of the other positions and go with a QB that is average to slightly above average? I don't know what the answer is, but something has to give.
Hate him if you want, but Tom Brady in NE was always willing to be paid less than several other QB's in order to have money for other quality players.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Hate him if you want, but Tom Brady in NE was always willing to be paid less than several other QB's in order to have money for other quality players.
My issue with that is he never had top offense players for 90% of his career with NE. Defense was great though, top 8 in redzone for the majority of his career, but again, they never had a top tier paid player either in defense. Most of the time, they'll would get replaced with a "cheaper" player when money was becoming too much.

So I dont understand why Belichick never really pursued top players to play with Brady

VegasMichael

Established Member
My issue with that is he never had top offense players for 90% of his career with NE. Defense was great though, top 8 in redzone for the majority of his career, but again, they never had a top tier paid player either in defense. Most of the time, they'll would get replaced with a "cheaper" player when money was becoming too much.

So I dont understand why Belichick never really pursued top players to play with Brady
I've often wondered if some of the top talent just didn't want to play for Belichik. Former NE players have said it is not a fun place to play.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Mahomes has done the same. Constantly restructuring to make it work.

I've often wondered if some of the top talent just didn't want to play for Belichik. Former NE players have said it is not a fun place to play.

His personality sucks. I've known two guys that coached with him and three that played. They respect him, but he's not someone you'd ever want to hangout with.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Mahomes has done the same. Constantly restructuring to make it work.

His personality sucks. I've known two guys that coached with him and three that played. They respect him, but he's not someone you'd ever want to hangout with.
Not at all surprised about Belichik. Seems like a grump all the time. I do know he is close with Nick Saban and Jimmy Johnson though. Some serious coaching talent all in the same room right there.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
More often than not, that looks like the case but certain players also enjoyed the grinding. Blount, Edelman, Chad Johnson, Moss, Bruschi have talked about enjoying playing there with the obvious one's playing for them only.

Then you have players like Reggie Wayne who just preferred to retired lol

When Brady left though, I feel like everything changed, most notably when Cam Newton was at the center.

muscleatsrice

Established Member
Yeah, but will he get an exclusive or non-exclusive tag? The latter means he can negotiate with other teams and Ravens can match what he's offered. Exclusive tag doesn't mean he'll play if he decides to sit out.

The Ravens front office is pretty smart. They should do the non exclusive. Let other teams set the market for Jackson and do all the work on writing up a contract. Any contract needs to be brought to the Ravens. They can then match/offer that contract to Jackson, or give him the green light to sign with the other team for the cost of 2 first round picks. No brainer for the Ravens. The Watson contract through a huge wrench in the QB market. Last I heard no team was beating down the door for Jackson at the price tag he wants. I’ll bet the owners got together to put a stop to these mega fully guaranteed contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

muscleatsrice

Established Member

rborden

Established Member
Asking a mod to lock this. New league year began today. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread