2021 McLaren 765LT at drag strip

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
You sound butt hurt, if you drive a slow car its okay. Some of us actually own the car in our avatar. :(

Exactly, imagine paying over 100k for a gt500 (probably pushing 150k with adm) for a car that shares chassis and parts with a 20k eco boost! Lol
Not butthurt. Just logical. Why pay more to go the same time/speed. And if status or rental car is your only answer, then that is an emotionally driven one. Which is more of a psychological complex involving the "need" to be seen as superior by others that don't know any better, via your inanimate objects and other fluff.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Not butthurt. Just logical. Why pay more to go the same time/speed. And if status or rental car is your only answer, then that is an emotionally driven one. Which is more of a psychological complex involving the "need" to be seen as superior by others that don't know any better, via your inanimate objects and other fluff.

You could literally make the same exact argument for every single good or service in the world. Has been happening since the dawn of civilization.

Double wide vs. Mansion
Timex vs. Rolex
Coach vs. 1st Class
Steak vs. Ramen

Etc., Etc., Etc.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
That's a tough comparison to make. You could make a mini-van run with a Ferrari with the right rules package. Without heavy BOP adjustments, the stang would get demolished.

And IMSA cars are very FAR from basically upgraded street rides. The 570 is definitely the closest, but the GT4 Mustang is not even close.

Road to Race: McLaren 570S vs. 570S GT4 – Sportscar365
You sure about that?
"include modified dampers, lower control arms, and rear stabilizer bars. Ford also added an FIA-compliant roll cage, 18x11-inch wheels, slick tires, and revised aerodynamics" Sounds like pretty basic shit to me. The transmission is the biggest difference, but that's more for reliability in endurance racing, and more consistent shifts, not all out performance. The dampers/cage/wheels/tires/aero is all shit the 570 gets too you know... The biggest thing the Mustang changes from the road car is major weight reduction, which is frankly it's only downfall. As you can't make and sell a $50k street car with carbon fiber tubs and other shit that inflate a price to $250k+.

My point with the BOP is, they are making the cars damn near identical power to weight ratio, with the same tires, and equally talented drivers. It does not get more apples to apples than that to compare chassis performance. If there was something truly magical about these McLarens, they would be outperforming every other car in the class due to their chassis alone, even with the power to weight equality. But they don't. Because physics determine lap times, not MSRP.

The Ford Mustang GT4 Is a Shelby GT350-Based Ready-Made Race Car

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
You sure about that?
"include modified dampers, lower control arms, and rear stabilizer bars. Ford also added an FIA-compliant roll cage, 18x11-inch wheels, slick tires, and revised aerodynamics" Sounds like pretty basic shit to me. The transmission is the biggest difference, but that's more for reliability in endurance racing, and more consistent shifts, not all out performance. The dampers/cage/wheels/tires/aero is all shit the 570 gets too you know... The biggest thing the Mustang changes from the road car is major weight reduction, which is frankly it's only downfall. As you can't make and sell a $50k street car with carbon fiber tubs and other shit that inflate a price to $250k+.

My point with the BOP is, they are making the cars damn near identical power to weight ratio, with the same tires, and equally talented drivers. It does not get more apples to apples than that to compare chassis performance. If there was something truly magical about these McLarens, they would be outperforming every other car in the class due to their chassis alone, even with the power to weight equality. But they don't. Because physics determine lap times, not MSRP.

The Ford Mustang GT4 Is a Shelby GT350-Based Ready-Made Race Car

Mustang GT4
Non-factory offered engine
Holinger sequential transmission (which is a huge performance upgrade over the 6M)
Seem welded unibody
Carbon fiber doors, rear decklid, roof, hood, under tray

That's pretty significant. Not much "factory" left.

And no, the P:W isn't the same between the cars. The Mustang GT4 is lighter than the 570 GT4 (~150#), with virtually the same HP. The Mac's chassis is that much superior (as it should be), or else they wouldn't have to do that.

Last edited:

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
You could literally make the same exact argument for every single good or service in the world. Has been happening since the dawn of civilization.

Double wide vs. Mansion
Timex vs. Rolex
Coach vs. 1st Class
Steak vs. Ramen

Etc., Etc., Etc.
Sure, but why would someone wearing a Rolex complain about the Timex having cheaper parts... other than to artificially inflate their ego? I'm not saying people can't enjoy a higher end product, I'm saying there's no point in puffing up a more expensive alternative, when we're talking about performance. Many many wealthy people do not buy the most expensive option they can afford, because they do not care about random people's opinions. Saying the Mustang is inferior is a mental block the supercar companies want you to have. It's a hunk of metal that obeys the laws of physics, nothing more nothing less, just as every other car on the road.

It's always moving the goal posts with these people... well the supercar is faster, but if it's not, or the Mustang is right there with it for a QUARTER MILLION less, then now it's, well the McLaren makes joe schmo take a second look as it goes down the street... lmao. So which is it, are we trying to get the best performance for the value in a new lightly modded street car, or are we so worried about our fragile egos, we need to spend 3-4x as much as necessary, to impress the most shallow people on earth?

Extremely wealthy people that run businesses are always looking for the next way to cut costs, and how to do the same process/outcome for less cost. So it's not a poor person's mentality, it's somebody using their ****ing brain's mentality.

Trying to put down the Mustang for these frivolous reasons makes someone look extremely emotionally insecure. Every mother****er looks poor to someone (barring the top 10 or so wealthy people in the entire world, out of 7 billion+), don't forget it. And when you're dead, you're never spending a dime again for the rest of eternity.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Mustang GT4
Non-factory offered engine
Holinger sequential transmission (which is a huge performance upgrade over the 6M)
Seem welded unibody
Carbon fiber doors, rear decklid, roof, hood, under tray

That's pretty significant. Not much "factory" left.

And no, the P:W isn't the same between the cars. The Mustang GT4 is lighter than the 570 GT4 (~150#), with virtually the same HP. The Mac's chassis is that much superior (as it should be), or else they wouldn't have to do that.
https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/upl...B-IMPC-20-12-VIR-Race-BoP-Tables-08142020.pdf

That is from last year at VIR. The Mustang weighing MORE by 15kg, and with the Mustang weighing the MOST out of any car in the class. Obviously things have changed since the 2018 article you posted. Get with the times old man.

And yes they need to get the weight down somehow. Bolting on a door isn't that big of a deal to be honest, when you're competing with a carbon/aluminum monotub car. And you know damn well there's nothing particularly special about the engine, it makes factory hp, and has extra bits for longevity through the season. It's not some re-engineered masterpiece.

McLaren 570S GT4 - Introduction | McLaren Automotive

I suggest you look at the Technical Specifications brochure on that page. Stop acting like the GT4 570 is some street car with a tire. Also, there's no telling if the engine/trans in it has been overhauled at all. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't at least upgrade the clutches in the DSG and likely some updates, even if minor to the engine, for longevity of the season. I highly doubt you'll be able to show any claim these are both 100% street car untouched components.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Lol, that guys a clown. I wonder if hes standing on a soap box as he types his long posts about nonsense?
I'm actually getting paid to shitpost/pass the time. While making you look like a self-absorbed blowbag. Don't worry, at 5 I'll have better things to do.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'm actually getting paid to shitpost/pass the time. While making you look like a self-absorbed blowbag. Don't worry, at 5 I'll have better things to do.
Negative, you look like a clown.

There will always be clowns like you in forums, its okay tho, some of us strive to have nice things and not have to try and convince ourselves the shit we are stuck with is the way of life. You think you're the only one getting paid to just sit and look at forums? o_O

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
What the hell is the goal of this argument? To prove that everyone should be driving GT500s because they are close enough in performance and cost less?

What about the fact that people have personal preference and there is an artistic element in that certain designs can strike a chord with people where they desire a vehicle solely because they admire the design among all else? Manufacturers design and build cars specifically for this reason and exotics tend to be at the top of the list in regards to examples of pushing artistic boundaries. So when engineering a car, that from an artistic standpoint is beautiful and exotic, that means that it has to have an engine and drivetrain that compliment the overall design, and that usually leads to very expensive components and processes being used in R&D and manufacturing that ultimately jack up the price when it it hits the market.

I don't think I need to explain that any further but I would argue the primary drive for customer demand is in the exterior design, and with that performance to match is usually a given at this current time. Basically you can't have one without the other or the car will be a failure on the market.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
What the hell is the goal of this argument? To prove that everyone should be driving GT500s because they are close enough in performance and cost less?

What about the fact that people have personal preference and there is an artistic element in that certain designs can strike a chord with people where they desire a vehicle solely because they admire the design among all else? Manufacturers design and build cars specifically for this reason and exotics tend to be at the top of the list in regards to examples of pushing artistic boundaries. So when engineering a car, that from an artistic standpoint is beautiful and exotic, that means that it has to have an engine and drivetrain that compliment the overall design, and that usually leads to very expensive components and processes being used in R&D and manufacturing that ultimately jack up the price when it it hits the market.

I don't think I need to explain that any further but I would argue the primary drive for customer demand is in the exterior design, and with that performance to match is usually a given at this current time. Basically you can't have one without the other or the car will be a failure on the market.
The argument stems from people acting like the GT500's performance is invalid because it's chassis family resides with a rental car. It's a cop out.

I'm glad you brought up the artistic value. If that's the case, 17+ GT all day. And btw, you can actually double to triple your money instead of watching it get flushed down the toilet with one of the others on the "supercar" marry go round.

gofast15

Established Member
Trading my 720S for 2008 GT500 next week . I'm going to install 15in drag wheels and I'll show all the supercars how it's done at local road course . hopefully I won't shift into reverse trying to find 5th gear

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I by "only" you mean in "addition to" transmission + aero + weight distribution
Nope, meant what I said.

720S 3100lbs at ~690whp
C6Z06 3000lbs 650+whp
07-14 GT500 3800lbs at 800+whp
2020 GT500 4100lbs at 850+whp

Wanna know what's in common with all these cars? They have ~4.6-4.7 power to weight, and trap 141-143.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Trading my 720S for 2008 GT500 next week . I'm going to install 15in drag wheels and I'll show all the supercars how it's done at local road course . hopefully I won't shift into reverse trying to find 5th gear
Why don't you do it just to show how much money you have? If you have so much money to piss away, send me a few bags to prove it.

Looks like you had a Cobra at one point... is that all you could afford or something? You trying to tell me you weren't rolling 3 supercars deep by your early 20s?

And if you think I'm the first person to have an issue with the TR6060 and reverse (because the solenoid failed), I suggest you take a look at the Viper/Camaro/Vette forums.

Edit: Can't pay for a brain upgrade providing reason and logic. That's quite evident by some on here.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
eL Oh El

Surely you know more than RP ****ing M though.

"This cam makes around 550whp | Pair it with our Heads and intake package it makes 600 - 650 whp and has been 9.8 @ 142mph 1/4 mile with a full weight C6 Z06 and 9.6 @ 144mph through an auto."
RPM Butt-Slayer (LS7) Camshaft | Race Proven Motorsports

I own an HCI C6z, shit-for-brains.

They do not weigh 3000lbs

650 is pretty aggressive. Maybe on a mustang dyno set to "hero." Mine did 580 whp and it is built pretty well. Most are ~560.

There is no such thing as an auto c6z.

PS 9.6 144 on a run of the mill HCI hahahah

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
eL Oh El

Surely you know more than RP ****ing M though.

"This cam makes around 550whp | Pair it with our Heads and intake package it makes 600 - 650 whp and has been 9.8 @ 142mph 1/4 mile with a full weight C6 Z06 and 9.6 @ 144mph through an auto."
RPM Butt-Slayer (LS7) Camshaft | Race Proven Motorsports
Great shop. My car is being picked up and sent to them in the next week or so. Although the only one slaying my butt is my uncle.

Users who are viewing this thread