2019 Edge, blown head gasket

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m

That’s insane. We schedule 150 cars a day and get diagnosis and most repairs done same day. Hell if you drop off a non appt in the morning we will still mostly likely at least get it diagnosed if not diag and repairs.

I worked for ford briefly and couldn’t stand the several day wait time just to get a car looked at and then several more to get it repaired. At one point I had 45 open repair orders on my personal list.

If I have any ROs that carry over to the next day it’s something that’s either waiting on a part (usually next day) or it’s a 10+ hour ticket. Last week I had a van come in at 8am for check engine light, we diagnosed it, tore it apart and replaced piston rings in it plus timing belt package and front brakes. Had it back to the customer at 4pm
That's impressive. Wish I could take advantage of that service.

So, went to the dealership today because I could not get a call back from them. Our son is a salesman there. I was told they could not diagnosis it because a tech has to do it with "special tools". I said start it up and wait 20 seconds, that's all it takes. Anyway, I was told that I could rent a car and if the repair is covered under warranty, they will reimburse the rental. Well, thanks to our son, we ended up "test driving" a used car that we'll take back this weekend.

So the question is, which color do you like best?
20220228_161633.jpeg
20220228_161538.jpeg

Your government is lying to you

SHOdown220

Established Member

So, went to the dealership today because I could not get a call back from them. Our son is a salesman there. I was told they could not diagnosis it because a tech has to do it with "special tools". I said start it up and wait 20 seconds, that's all it takes. Anyway, I was told that I could rent a car and if the repair is covered under warranty, they will reimburse the rental. Well, thanks to our son, we ended up "test driving" a used car that we'll take back this weekend.

View attachment 1739847View attachment 1739848

Love ‘em both!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

View attachment 1739847View attachment 1739848

In rain i say hard top. Sunny take soft top

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was going to suggest the yellow for that very reason. Although I like the green paint better. That's awesome that your son was able to get you an "extended" test driver.

It would be nice to hear your Bronco review after driving it around for 5 days.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
It'll have to wait Bob. For some reason, both of those vehicles cannot be sold yet. It's some technicality that Ford has in place to keep dealers from placing "fake" orders. Anyway, we have a vacation coming up, so we won't be able to enjoy it until after we get back.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Gorgeous Bronco's!

Not intended to derail the thread, but do '19 Edge's have the same PTU issues as my '19 Explorer Sport?

(NOTE: I did change my Explorers PTU fluid at 37,000 miles with 75W-140 Motorcraft and it was good).

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Gorgeous Bronco's!

Not intended to derail the thread, but do '19 Edge's have the same PTU issues as my '19 Explorer Sport?

(NOTE: I did change my Explorers PTU fluid at 37,000 miles with 75W-140 Motorcraft and it was good).

And I'll piggyback a question on this. When this gets fixed, will the new block be a redesign? Or is it just the same old thing and they hope it last this time?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Gorgeous Bronco's!

And I'll piggyback a question on this. When this gets fixed, will the new block be a redesign? Or is it just the same old thing and they hope it last this time?
Change the fluid every 20- 30k like transmission fluid. Edge is similar to the fusion.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes it would. I believe the years affected for the gen 2 2.0 are 17-19. 20 had a revised block. But possibly early 20's could fall into the category.

Ive had it since 12k miles, 40k now. Daily, 16 miles round trip to work. Wondering if I need to ditch this thing to Carvana while I am still ahead. But than, I'm a buyer and I dont wanna buy cars right now

I'll get off the OPs thread now

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive had it since 12k miles, 40k now. Daily, 16 miles round trip to work. Wondering if I need to ditch this thing to Carvana while I am still ahead. But than, I'm a buyer and I dont wanna buy cars right now

Stick around. I don't mind hearing people's experiences. Especially if they relate to the mess I'm in.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Honestly i had a 17 and 18 fusion both with the gen 2 2.0 FWD and neither one had the issue of the head gaskets aka coolant getting in the chamber. I felt they were both great vehicles. Only reason got rid of them was the 17 traded up to a 19 MKZ 3.0 and the 18 traded up to a 20 edge ST.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Update time. I have been told that an EGR cooler assy has been ordered as well as a cylinder head temp sensor.
I looked this up and found TSB 20-2234that seems to relate to this problem. Replace the EGR cooler and associated hardware. So it looks like I don't get a new engine. The only drawback to this is, we can't close on the Bronco until it's fixed.

BTW, any dealership guys want to give me an idea of trade-in value for a 2019 Edge Titanium?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Contact Nick. He can probably give you a good/fair idea of trade-in value. It wouldn't hurt to get a price from Carvana, too. When I sold my Genesis G-70, Carvana's price was higher than my Genesis dealers. They did, though, more than match it because they really wanted it. Hell, it looked brand new!

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to suggest the yellow for that very reason. Although I like the green paint better. That's awesome that your son was able to get you an "extended" test driver.

It would be nice to hear your Bronco review after driving it around for 5 days.

Not you specifically but I find many don't realize (maybe they never owned one or whatever) how much of a p.i.t.a. it is to drive a brightly colored vehicle.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Personally, I liked the green color much better. I would have preferred blue. The wife loves this yellow color for some reason. Maybe looking like a school bus will get people to watch out for her.

Users who are viewing this thread