2019 Edge, blown head gasket

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
So, driving yesterday and was having a problem with the heat in the car. Sometimes heat, sometimes cold air. When I came to a stop, it was running rough. At this point there were no CEL or anything. Get closer to home and an engine overheat message pops up. Then a CEL. Pull over and checked catch tank, completely empty. Add water and watch steam come out the tailpipe and bubbles in the catch tank.

So, is this engine something to worry about, or is this just a fluke? It's all under warranty, but now the wife wants a new car.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
So, driving yesterday and was having a problem with the heat in the car. Sometimes heat, sometimes cold air. When I came to a stop, it was running rough. At this point there were no CEL or anything. Get closer to home and an engine overheat message pops up. Then a CEL. Pull over and checked catch tank, completely empty. Add water and watch steam come out the tailpipe and bubbles in the catch tank.

So, is this engine something to worry about, or is this just a fluke? It's all under warranty, but now the wife wants a new car.

If this gen is anything like the older gens (V6 I think), they have the notoriously poor design of the water pump mounted internally. The seal fails, and the water pump proceeds to pump water into the engine. Often times it catastrophically destroys the engine.

Terrible design.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Is this on the 2.0L-T 4-cylinder?
2.7-TT V6?

GTSpartan, I believe you're referring to the 3.7L V6 [Non-turbo]... OP mentions its a 2019...

The 2018 & older Lincoln MKX models had the non-turbo V6s as standard-model engines...

Last edited:

mariusvt

Established Member
Is this on the 2.0L-T 4-cylinder?
2.7-TT V6?

GTSpartan, I believe you're referring to the 3.7L V6 [Non-turbo]... OP mentions its a 2019...

The 2018 & older Lincoln MKX models had the non-turbo V6s as standard-model engines...
It was the 3.5, the 3.7 didn't have the stupid internal water pump.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe it is the 3.7, but I need to verify. The car is at the dealer, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
BTW, this thing has less than 30k on it.

Your government is lying to you

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now THAT sucks! Sorry her Edge is limping. So you haven't gotten it to your dealership yet? Let us know, of course, what they're going to do.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Bob, I'll keep the thread updated. It is at the dealer now, but we have to wait until tomorrow to get a loaner.
Now for corrections. It is a 2.0 liter turbo 4. I must have been thinking of our previous edge which had the V6. Doh!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The 2.0 gen 2 from 2015-eary 2019 had a flaw in the block design for cooling. Allowing coolant to senter the pistons. There is a TSB for this and under powertrain warranty would be replaced with the updated block design. Same issue as the 1.5 ecoboost

mariusvt

Established Member
The 2.0 gen 2 from 2015-eary 2019 had a flaw in the block design for cooling. Allowing coolant to senter the pistons. There is a TSB for this and under powertrain warranty would be replaced with the updated block design. Same issue as the 1.5 ecoboost
I think the 1.6 also

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I'd be getting a new engine I assume? Or at least a long block? How does Ford handle that?
Does this new design actually fix the problem?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So, I'd be getting a new engine I assume? Or at least a long block? How does Ford handle that?

Correct,

The new block is just a design improvement. Looks like it will fix the issue. You will need to take it in to your local or trusted Ford dealership. Aslong as its still in its warranty. They have to diagnose it 1st.

Last edited:

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

You get a new short block. Everything else is swapped over.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just be happy that this didn't happen after the warranty expired. You'll have use of a loaner, of course, during the time they repair the engine. As @me32 said, they have to diagnose it first. Pretty much a given that you're going to be covered as it's a known issue with the 2.0. At least based on what you posted. Looking forward to hearing some good news from you today. Speaking of today, have a good one!

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Yea, that internal water pump design was flawed right off the engineering table - don't even know how that passed "Go" from a common sense standpoint.

Being a member of the Explorer forums, there's a lot of threads over there with engine failures due to that craptastic water pump problem... and some aren't so lucky with having it repaired under warranty especially owners who had the failure AFTER their vehicle was past the 5/60 Powertrain. It's not an inexpensive repair through any Ford Dealership.

You would also think that since it is a known issue, that the replacement engine would be one of better design instead of being the same dropped right back in...

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

would this pertain to say, a 2017 2.0L turbo in an Escape?
Asking for friend

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, the first bit of fantastic news is, we can get a loaner as soon as the edge is diagnosed. The problem is, they are a week out just to diagnosis the damn thing.

One week actually isn't bad at all. Around here, if you want to get an appointment for service of any kind (including a diagnosis) you're 2-3 weeks out. My Genesis dealer gave me a two week out appointment for an oil/filter change.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I’m
One week actually isn't bad at all. Around here, if you want to get an appointment for service of any kind (including a diagnosis) you're 2-3 weeks out. My Genesis dealer gave me a two week out appointment for an oil/filter change.

That’s insane. We schedule 150 cars a day and get diagnosis and most repairs done same day. Hell if you drop off a non appt in the morning we will still mostly likely at least get it diagnosed if not diag and repairs.

I worked for ford briefly and couldn’t stand the several day wait time just to get a car looked at and then several more to get it repaired. At one point I had 45 open repair orders on my personal list.

If I have any ROs that carry over to the next day it’s something that’s either waiting on a part (usually next day) or it’s a 10+ hour ticket. Last week I had a van come in at 8am for check engine light, we diagnosed it, tore it apart and replaced piston rings in it plus timing belt package and front brakes. Had it back to the customer at 4pm

Users who are viewing this thread