2018 Mustang to have 10 speed auto

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
From a strictly performance standpoint, I bet it's not measurably better than the current crop of 8spds. The main deliverable here is more efficiency (emissions & mpg), in preparation for significant CAFE increases.

o2gt

Established Member
From a strictly performance standpoint, I bet it's not measurably better than the current crop of 8spds. The main deliverable here is more efficiency (emissions & mpg), in preparation for significant CAFE increases.

i could see that its not much better than the current 8sp autos. I would guess it will be faster shifting than most of them, based on reading that i have done. I think it has less to do with the number of gears but the the design. It should be much better than the current 6 speed auto.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Who is making this trans? ZF?

Edit, nm read the article. Hmmm, I think Fords going to get the short end of the stck in that deal

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
i could see that its not much better than the current 8sp autos. I would guess it will be faster shifting than most of them, based on reading that i have done. I think it has less to do with the number of gears but the the design. It should be much better than the current 6 speed auto.

The basics architecture (planetary sets, shift elements, functionality, packaging, etc) is nearly identical to the current 8L90 from GM. Looking at the guts of them side by side, it's obvious they share similar DNA.

The ZF 8spd is very similar too.

Who is making this trans? ZF?

They will be produced in house by both GM and Ford.

AAG

Established Member
About time the Mustang gets an upgrade from the lazy shifting 6 speed. Now if it could just lose some weight and get direct injection for a power bump, that'd be nice.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
About time the Mustang gets an upgrade from the lazy shifting 6 speed. Now if it could just lose some weight and get direct injection for a power bump, that'd be nice.

The 6R80, while a bit dated when compared to the latest and greatest slush boxes, it's robust as heck. I'd be very happy if the new ones have the durability of the 6spd.

AAG

Established Member
The 6R80, while a bit dated when compared to the latest and greatest slush boxes, it's robust as heck. I'd be very happy if the new ones have the durability of the 6spd.

Power holding potential is def not an issue with it, but there is no denying that it's slow as hell when it comes to gear shifting. Especially compared to a ZF 8 speed.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Was going to buy a mustang this summer but will now hold out for sure, for the ten speed

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Was going to buy a mustang this summer but will now hold out for sure, for the ten speed

Good call. The 2018 ought to have a host of other upgrades as well. I'm expecting a power bump for both the 5.0 and Ecoboost to go along with the new transmission.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
That's probably the same transmission that they co-developed with GM that's in the 2017 ZL1. If it is, it's absolutely fantastic.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess we should expect a flood of 10-speeds showing up in other cars/models as well in the near future. A far cry from the old 2-speed Powerglide introduced by GM in 1950.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I guess we should expect a flood of 10-speeds showing up in other cars/models as well in the near future. A far cry from the old 2-speed Powerglide introduced by GM in 1950.

And yet, still stronger than an MT-82. :p

:(

Never_Enough

Established Member

Indeed, but it is always fun driving my friend's '63 Impala w/the powerglide.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I've been driving around a new Camaro with the V6 and 8 speed auto. I have to say I was surprised that these are not the old V6 dogs we are used to. Mated to the 8 speed these cars are surprisingly fast, and the 8 speed is enjoyable to use. It doesn't hesitate and feels very solid. I took a new Mustang V6 home last night and there is just no comparison to the Camaro drivetrain wise, which the EB is the proper competition anyways, but the transmission specifically feels inferior.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My Jeep has a ZF/Chrysler 8 speed and I'm not 100% impressed, honestly. It still has lazy shifts and the shift strategy isn't the best. It'll blow through 1st and 2nd, then hang in third where it has no low-end torque, so I have to slam on the pedal to get it to downshift back to 2nd. Sport mode is a bit better but it holds the revs way too high even when just cruising.

I don't really think 10 speeds are necessary, but they need to do more work on programming the transmission better.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My Jeep has a ZF/Chrysler 8 speed and I'm not 100% impressed, honestly. It still has lazy shifts and the shift strategy isn't the best. It'll blow through 1st and 2nd, then hang in third where it has no low-end torque, so I have to slam on the pedal to get it to downshift back to 2nd. Sport mode is a bit better but it holds the revs way too high even when just cruising.

I don't really think 10 speeds are necessary, but they need to do more work on programming the transmission better.

This is Crysler's transmission control algorithms, not the transmission itself. I do agree these could be better as I experience the same things to an extent in my Jeep. However go drive an X5 that has the same transmission and you'll see that the hardware is not the problem. Just the shitty programmers at FCA.

Users who are viewing this thread