2018 Mustang to have 10 speed auto

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Am I the only that still likes to shift?

I much prefer a true manual transmission. The new mileage regulations coming are going to make it harder to offer cars with manuals though. To eek out that extra efficiency, the and transmission control units are going to need to completely control what the vehicle is doing it. It's nearly impossible to do that when you have an outside element (human) deciding what gear to be in.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I much prefer a true manual transmission. The new mileage regulations coming are going to make it harder to offer cars with manuals though. To eek out that extra efficiency, the and transmission control units are going to need to completely control what the vehicle is doing it. It's nearly impossible to do that when you have an outside element (human) deciding what gear to be in.

That needs to be average across the entire model line to my understanding. When most cars are all autos then most of the remaining, which have man option, are also man less than 5% total production are built with a clutch. Man trannies won't affect the ave mpg at all.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
However go drive an X5 that has the same transmission and you'll see that the hardware is not the problem. Just the shitty programmers at FCA.

Yup. FCA is falling behind big time. They are massively out-resourced by both Ford and GM and software programming is where their weakness is glaring.

If you want to see how far Ford is ahead of the other two domestics in software programming go drive a Ford with all the autonomous driving aids then drive the others. It's like going from a PS4 to a Nintendo.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Funny thing is, I have six and use 3 or 4 normally. 1-2-6 or 1-2-3-6.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We can expect all cars from GM and Ford to be equipped with a 9-speed auto for FWD and 10-speed auto for RWD over the next 5 years or so. Just depends on where in the update cycle each car is.

If the mustang somehow doesn't get it for 2018 (It's highly likely it will) expect it for the 2020-ish update.

Branhammer

Established Member
Am I the only that still likes to shift?

I do. The day they stop offering them is the day I start buying nothing but older Mustangs. They can try all they want, but no clutch=no fun. And yes I've driven dual clutch auto. Still would've been more fun with a true manual.

Users who are viewing this thread