2018+ F-150 vs 2019+ Ram 1500

alex3610

Established Member
Title pretty much says it. I'm in the market for a brand new pre-owned daily driver. 4x4, crew cab, and leather is a must. I want to have some toys in this one so either a very well optioned Lariat or one of the higher trim levels. I'm a touch nervous about getting a 3.5 ecoboost due to the cam phaser issues and would not hesitate with a 5.0, but regardless I want whatever I get to last 10+ years 200k miles. Price wise they all seemed to be very competitive (and expensive) but would love to hear opinions. I checked out a Ram Limited recently and the interior was absolutely gorgeous. That truck had the adjustable air ride as well which I'm completely in the dark about.

As I said it will be a daily driver, family hauler, do the home depot runs and occasionally tow a boat (nothing crazy though).

Originally I was only interested in the Ford but the Ram is growing on me. Thoughts?

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I can't speak for the Ram. But I have a 18 f150 screw 4x4 max tow 3.5 as a daily. I bought it new and haven't had any issues with it. I have had the cam phaser on rattle on occasion but it's rare. In fact, it hasn't happened since I swapped over to Pennzoil brand oil a little over a year ago. The rattle doesn't harm the engine. It's just a obnoxious noise on startup. The truck has performed as it should and has never gave a issue. My only problem is the oil pan is composite so it seeps a little between the pan and the block. Never drips on the ground. But I do wipe up the residue during oil changes, which is between 3k-5k miles. I do plan to install a aluminum Raptor oil pan. But last time I checked there wasn't one available to order. But overall I'm happy with the truck and have no regrets.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I’ve had good luck with both
04 Ram with the 4.7 v8, 285k before it gave up.
2019 Ram 5.7 ( company truck ) ran good the entire time I had it, I put about 30k on it.
Both single cab, short bed 2wd
F150 company trucks over the years, easily put 100k on them before they went off lease one was a 4x4 the rest xlt.
2wd.
All but the 4x4 were 6cyl.
Getting a 100k out of a truck without major issues is normal now.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

stang910

Established Member
I've owned both and I'd go with the Ram. Some things I didn't like about the Ram were fuel mileage, leaking back window, and depreciation. Things I liked better were the ride, better interior, and 8 speed trans.

I traded it for a Raptor and first thing I noticed was the 10 speed is terrible compared to 8 speed in the Ram. Both trucks are good Ram just did it better. I currently own a 21 F150 5.0 and after owning all the Eco's I'd find a truck with the 5.0 if you went with Ford.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Compare prices of used against working a deal on ordering, you might be surprised.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
you get more for your dollar with ram. And i say that as someone who has dd an f-150 for the past 17yrs.

might as well buy new though, the used market is totally out of whack. There arent any deals out there..

also i prefer the 5.0L over the ecoboost

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want nice interior trim and features it's hard to beat the 2019+ Rams, especially when comparing it to the 15+ F150 interior.

I enjoyed my 19 Laramie interior. Still think it's top dog now with Chevy and Ford revisions this and last year.

The Hemi is a stout engine. Personally, I didn't care for it with the 3.21 gears but it's not a bad combo. I just prefer a bit more pep in my trucks. Maybe the Hemi + 3.92 gears would of been the winning combo but never got to try that out when I was truck shopping again this past April/May.

I know Ram is offering 0% for 72 in my area for new Laramies and now some dealers are taking a good amount off too. If you go Ram, may not be a bad idea to see what's on the new truck lot. Might be a better buy going new than a 19/20 and saving 5k in price but paying interest on top.

I'm still old fashioned and prefer coils over air suspension for long term use/durability.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I got the Rebel with 3.92 gears and the performance with the Hemi is amazing. I bought from a local dealer who is offering heavy discounts. See the image:

1663682671961.png

utlong31

Established Member
Got a 2022 Laramie last month, I looked at Fords also and like said above Dodge was offering more incentives and discounts from one of my local dealers. I’m very happy with it and love the interior. My wife is jealous. Interior blows her explorers away. I looked at used also but the interest rates on the new you couldn’t beat.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
We have/had mostly Fords in my family/friend circle. Not a single one bought another ecoboost after owning one. They either went for the 5.0 or another brand including myself. If I were forced to buy a new truck today, it would be a Ram.

SilverStreak02

Established Member
Go with the RAM. I’ve had an 18 Raptor, a 21 Ram Limited and now a 21 TRX. I’m a born and bred Ford guy, but RAM has the best 1/2 ton pickup on the market today. In my opinion. Our 21 Limited (my wife kept the Limited) has the air suspension and we have had no issues with it. I really like the adjustability It has. I would raise it all the way up when I washed it. Allowed better access to the wheel wells. The interior of the RAM is in a class of it’s own. Even the new F150‘s can’t compare.

Another thing is our Limited has the eTorque (5.7L V8). It’s a system that is love/hate, but we really like it. It comes with Auto Start/Stop, but it is nearly indiscernible. Especially compared to Ford’s A/S/S.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I had a '19 Ram Laramie loaded up with every option you could get. Absolutely loved that truck, everything about it. It was flawless and never had any issues. Unfortunately my schedule changed at work and I have a very long commute so I sold it and got something better on fuel economy. Otherwise I would've kept that truck forever.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you want nice interior trim and features it's hard to beat the 2019+ Rams, especially when comparing it to the 15+ F150 interior.

I enjoyed my 19 Laramie interior. Still think it's top dog now with Chevy and Ford revisions this and last year.

The Hemi is a stout engine. Personally, I didn't care for it with the 3.21 gears but it's not a bad combo. I just prefer a bit more pep in my trucks. Maybe the Hemi + 3.92 gears would of been the winning combo but never got to try that out when I was truck shopping again this past April/May.

I know Ram is offering 0% for 72 in my area for new Laramies and now some dealers are taking a good amount off too. If you go Ram, may not be a bad idea to see what's on the new truck lot. Might be a better buy going new than a 19/20 and saving 5k in price but paying interest on top.

I'm still old fashioned and prefer coils over air suspension for long term use/durability.

Hemi with the 3.92 will surprise you how nimble and quick it really is. They fly.

Last company I worked for had me traveling 3 out of 4 weeks a month to Denver -- I always rented a Ram 1500 Hemi and LOVED driving those trucks.

SHOdown220

Established Member

My last ram was Hemi with the 3.92, felt pretty stout compared to my dad's ram with the 3.21s. I'll be searching for one with 3.92s next time around but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

blk02edge

Established Member
100%. No comparison.

However, the '22 Ford's im reading are nicer inside and closer to what Ram is offering.
My buddy just picked up a 22 Platinum F-150, the interior is amazing..... in pictures.....

Ford interiors being superior is long over. They are still a far cry away from being equal to the Ram

kaz109

Established Member
If you aren’t looking at a 21 F150 then it’s an apples to oranges comparison. Anyone in this thread has posted at the ram interiors. It’s because they’re judging it on The F150 design from 2015 when the Ram got a refresh in 2019.

Motor wise I felt like the Ram was all bark when I test drove it. It sounded good but was sluggish after 30mph.

The 5.0 or 3.5 is a solid choice for the F150 but if you get the 3.5 you want to get a 2019 or up. They fixed the cam phaser problem mid 2018

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My last ram was Hemi with the 3.92, felt pretty stout compared to my dad's ram with the 3.21s. I'll be searching for one with 3.92s next time around but I don't think it's a deal breaker.

My wife has the Wagoneer with the 5.7Etorque & 3.21 gears.
Not slow, but takes a bit to get up to speed IMO. Similar to my older Ram.
She loves the SUV but misses the acceleration from the expedition(3.5LTT)
Sort of wish there was a Wagoneer any where local that had the towing package with the 3.92s.

blk02edge

Established Member
If you aren’t looking at a 21 F150 then it’s an apples to oranges comparison. Anyone in this thread has posted at the ram interiors. It’s because they’re judging it on The F150 design from 2015 when the Ram got a refresh in 2019.

Motor wise I felt like the Ram was all bark when I test drove it. It sounded good but was sluggish after 30mph.

The 5.0 or 3.5 is a solid choice for the F150 but if you get the 3.5 you want to get a 2019 or up. They fixed the cam phaser problem mid 2018
Definitely still not an apples/apples. The Ram is superior year for year

Users who are viewing this thread