2016 Camaro SS drops 223 lbs and runs 12.3 @ 116

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
same thing as the new edge vs ls1 camaro/firebird though, its going to be a lot of more expensive and will still lag in sales. a premium gt is about 36k and an SS camaro is over 41. but performance wise camaro is going to be better like it always generally has been.

New edge vs Fboat isn't a good comparison at all for forecasting sales of the 6th gen Camaro.The 5th gen has been very successful and priced higher from day one, it has outsold the S197 most sales quarters since its release, haven't really looked at the numbers since S550 debut, but suspect they are still strong. I would wager the 6th gen is going to do just fine. FWIW you should be able to get an 1SS under or around 38 and GM will have incentives just like ford. You wouldn't be able to get a premium GT at 36k if it weren't for rebates and dealer incentives, I have been looking and noticed dealers around here doing close to 4K off on top of the mfr rebate.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
same thing as the new edge vs ls1 camaro/firebird though, its going to be a lot of more expensive and will still lag in sales. a premium gt is about 36k and an SS camaro is over 41. but performance wise camaro is going to be better like it always generally has been.

Where do you see $42k? A 2015 2ss is the highest trim package and it starts at $37.9k. The 1ss is still a nicely trimmed package. You also have to look at the model across the board. The 2016 camaro is said to be in the $23k area. That's less than the mustang base IIRc. Also..GM has done some crazy discountd over the years. Many people have picked up brand new 1LEs for upper $30ks, new ZL1s for mid to upper $40ks, and a few lucky guys got new z28s for $58-61k.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
almost 42 grand for an SS.... its still going to be outsold in bunches by the mustang GT, if anyone thinks otherwise you have not been following the automotive world, the average person doesn't care that the car does 12.8 at 110 or 12.3 at 116.

for the record though i would buy the camaro over the mustang, but this forum is a tiny part of who buys these cars.

Are you sure about that statement. From 09-14 the Camaro outsold the Mustang. I can see them regaining the crown with a new better car.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Where do you see $42k? A 2015 2ss is the highest trim package and it starts at $37.9k. The 1ss is still a nicely trimmed package. You also have to look at the model across the board. The 2016 camaro is said to be in the $23k area. That's less than the mustang base IIRc. Also..GM has done some crazy discountd over the years. Many people have picked up brand new 1LEs for upper $30ks, new ZL1s for mid to upper $40ks, and a few lucky guys got new z28s for $58-61k.

Not counting any rebates or price cuts, the starting price for a base Camaro is $26,695 and base 1SS is $37,295.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Are you sure about that statement. From 09-14 the Camaro outsold the Mustang. I can see them regaining the crown with a new better car.

I think the new mustang is way too popular with the general public, over a camaro thats on its third facelift. Thats the problem with 05-14, they built a mustang that wasnt popular with the general public.

IIRC while the Camaro did outsell, both brands didnt sell nearly as much as the 90's or early 00's.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Not counting any rebates or price cuts, the starting price for a base Camaro price is $26,695 and base 1SS is $37,295.

I thought the link said the base Camaro will be 23K?

edit: either way the price is close enough to be comparable.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
So its as fast as a '11 5.0 with a tune? Good friend ran a 12.5 on street tires in his 12 5.0 tune only.

pullin_hard

Established Member
Yeah, the pricing of both vehicles are comparable.
That being said I will have to reconsider purchasing a 2015+ mustang.
It will come down to a 2016 camaro ss or a 392 challenger.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yeah, the pricing of both vehicles are comparable.
That being said I will have to reconsider purchasing a 2015+ mustang.
It will come down to a 2016 camaro ss or a 392 challenger.

I guess if you base it on performance only. I couldnt fathom driving a car that looked as ridiculous and terrible as the Camaros do, if I could id just settle with a 11-14 GT already as they are one hell of a bang for buck at the $23-25k range.

392 Chally is definitely on my list though, looks badass and they fixed their terrible minivan interior so thats huge IMO.

Hopefully there will be lots of idiots trading in their 15+ GT's for Camaros because of a few tenths and 30hp that are going for cheap and CPO by the time I get the itch to upgrade from the Genesis in the next two years.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I guess if you base it on performance only. I couldnt fathom driving a car that looked as ridiculous and terrible as the Camaros do, if I could id just settle with a 11-14 GT already as they are one hell of a bang for buck at the $23-25k range.

392 Chally is definitely on my list though, looks badass and they fixed their terrible minivan interior so thats huge IMO.

Hopefully there will be lots of idiots trading in their 15+ GT's for Camaros because of a few tenths and 30hp that are going for cheap and CPO by the time I get the itch to upgrade from the Genesis in the next two years.

I can see lots of people trading the 15 GT for a new SS. The SS will not only destroy it on a road course, but will once again be able to beat a 5.0 in a straightline. I won't be in line as I don't like the look, but it will be a better car.

Much like Ford touting the GT is faster than a boss on a roadcourse, GM is stating the new SS is faster than a 1LE. And we all know how bad the 1LE beat up on the S550 GT.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Just so were aware, I just looked on edmunds:

2016 Camaro SS is 30lbs lighter (3,685) than a 2015 Mustang GT (3,705)
2016 Camaro SS is 20hp more (455hp) than a 2015 Mustang GT (435hp)

Yes, totally will destroy a S550 GT. Totally destroy.

Totally.

You guys are hilarious. Looks to me like it will come down to the driver (and probably tire since ford cant seem to put a good tire under their cars to save their life).

pullin_hard

Established Member
I can see lots of people trading the 15 GT for a new SS. The SS will not only destroy it on a road course, but will once again be able to beat a 5.0 in a straightline. I won't be in line as I don't like the look, but it will be a better car.

Much like Ford touting the GT is faster than a boss on a roadcourse, GM is stating the new SS is faster than a 1LE. And we all know how bad the 1LE beat up on the S550 GT.

The camaro ss took a big a step forward in the performance catergory. Looks comes down to personal preferences. Also mod for mod the camaro should be cheaper to mod and should make more power with basic bolts on (including cams lol).

Voltwings

Established Member
Just so were aware, I just looked on edmunds:

2016 Camaro SS is 30lbs lighter (3,685) than a 2015 Mustang GT (3,705)
2016 Camaro SS is 20hp more (455hp) than a 2015 Mustang GT (435hp)

Yes, totally will destroy a S550 GT. Totally destroy.

Totally.

You guys are hilarious. Looks to me like it will come down to the driver (and probably tire since ford cant seem to put a good tire under their cars to save their life).

The 8 speed auto is dirty, i'll give them that, but you're absolutely right; stick shift vs stick shift its a driver's race.

Steve1578

Established Member
That's very impressive. They're still ugly IMO, but a better Camaro means a better Mustang, that is if Ford still wants to compete.

Rct851

Established Member
Best thing that will come from this is hopeful the 2017 GT getting extra power it should have it 2015. Hopefully some trickle down stuff from the gt350.

Users who are viewing this thread