2016 Camaro SS drops 223 lbs and runs 12.3 @ 116

Just_A_GT

Established Member
ahh the rat race continues and soo many will be sucked into the situation of perpetual car payments, all for a small bump in horsepower.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Where do you see $42k? A 2015 2ss is the highest trim package and it starts at $37.9k. The 1ss is still a nicely trimmed package. You also have to look at the model across the board. The 2016 camaro is said to be in the $23k area. That's less than the mustang base IIRc. Also..GM has done some crazy discountd over the years. Many people have picked up brand new 1LEs for upper $30ks, new ZL1s for mid to upper $40ks, and a few lucky guys got new z28s for $58-61k.

Yep! When I was looking lonestar chevrolet was willing to do a 14 1LE out the door for 37!

SVTPete83

Established Member
Either way, Chevy has some good things going on over there. I hope the GT will step it's game up next year with some more power.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The 2016 Camaro makes 55 more foot pounds of torque, that is more significant than 20 HP. Will it really be destroying S550s, not really, that is a bit of hyperbole on my part. However it will be more than a match and stock for stock, should win convincingly.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The 2016 Camaro makes 55 more foot pounds of torque, that is more significant than 20 HP. Will it really be destroying S550s, not really, that is a bit of hyperbole on my part. However it will be more than a match and stock for stock, should win convincingly.

beat me to it. And only a drivers race if God is shifting the S550, and a below average is in the Camaro. Auto for auto the camaro pulls away hard. 116 trap speed.

Last edited:

Rex Racer

Established Member
Just so were aware, I just looked on edmunds:

2016 Camaro SS is 30lbs lighter (3,685) than a 2015 Mustang GT (3,705)
2016 Camaro SS is 20hp more (455hp) than a 2015 Mustang GT (435hp)

Yes, totally will destroy a S550 GT. Totally destroy.

Totally.

You guys are hilarious. Looks to me like it will come down to the driver (and probably tire since ford cant seem to put a good tire under their cars to save their life).

Isn't this "still in the noise"? I have a friend that talks smack about his 2014 Charger R/T, but the dude is 350 lbs.

That's a boulder sitting in the driver's seat.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
Just like you did?

I did? Sorry to burst your bubble chief, but this is my first mustang. Last performance car I owned was in 2010, and that was a Caliber SRT-4. Before the mustang I was scooting around in a 2004 saturn vue...

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
Don't expect that anytime soon.

Straight to carbon fiber! :) Seriously though Ford needs to have something ready for the 17 model year. Heck they should be concerned that a SS with Magnaride and auto will be nipping on the heels of the regular GT350 for less.

I really like my 15 GT and think it's a better overall package than the S197. With that said I think no improvement in straight line performance was a mistake and GM is going to make Ford pay.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Ford should have made their adjustments (to weight and power), during the 2015/16. Everyone knew that GM was going to be dropping weight on a car that already heavily competes with the mustang. Except the new mustang put on 200 pounds and very little hp, while GM went the other way and lost weight and added power.

Kind of makes me sick to think of what a premium version of that mustang would cost.... shit some of the premium 15/16's are already in the 40s... for a mustang *PUKE*

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Seems like the SS will take the straight line back. I'd imaging for 17 the Mustang gets the 10 speed and a small HP bump to make it even again. The back and forth is good for everyone.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Its a back and forth battle, during 2011-2014 the SS and GT was a drivers race with advantage to GT (weight and solid axle). SS had the road course covered.
Now the advantage has swung over to the SS (more power and lesser weight).

We are still a few years away from a Mustang mid cycle refresh. I agree that the camaro looks ugly, uglier than the 14/15, and who knows if it will outsell the Mustang. GM will probably need to pay movie studios to release 3-4 more transformer movies so buyers can have their bumble bee. lol

I'd like to see how the motors stack up when they go FI.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Of note...GM is sticking with the TR6060 6-speed for the big boy and the small fry gets the TR3160 that will sit behind the much ballyhooed GT350.

OUCH! Says something about the torque capacity of the little gearbox...

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...n/2015/may/2016-camaro/2016-camaro-specs.html

HR said:
Like the Corvette, the Camaro will feature Active Rev Match in the SS, which uses a Tremec TR6060 six-speed, same as the fifth-generation Camaro. Active Rev Match blips the throttle on downshift for smooth shifting without any need to heel-toe. The 2.0L and 3.6L both use the Tremec TR3160 six-speed manual that doesn’t offer Active Rev Match. For the automatic-equipped 2016 Camaro, 2.0L and 3.6L models get the 8L45 eight-speed transmission that has more aggressive gearing than the 8L90 that comes with the SS.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-2016-camaro-unveiled-exclusive-first-look-at-the-sixth-gen/

Rex Racer

Established Member
It's like Intel's Tick-Tock philosophy. Except with cars.

Stick with what you can afford and have aspirations to improve on and be happy. You'll drive yourself nuts.

I could decide to trade in my car for a 2016 Camaro SS or stick with the game plan with a VMP Gen II.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Ford should have made their adjustments (to weight and power), during the 2015/16. Everyone knew that GM was going to be dropping weight on a car that already heavily competes with the mustang. Except the new mustang put on 200 pounds and very little hp, while GM went the other way and lost weight and added power.

The new mustang didnt put on 200lbs though. 2014 GT was 3614lbs. Thats 91lbs.

Ford hasnt needed to decrease weight (although it would be nice if they did), GM has been the one that needs to put their car on a diet.

You guys are pointing fingers at Ford for not shaving weight in 2015 when they werent the one to make an overly obese car in the first place.

That being said, they all need to come down to 3500lbs but they wont, ****ing crash regulations keep driving these cars heavier and heavier.

Users who are viewing this thread