2015 Mustang GT PP vs Camaro SS 1LE

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
How good are the g2 runflats on the 1le? From what I've heard that going to a good non run flat tire will take a second plus off of the Mustangs time on a short 2min type road course. I personally would just change tires and out drive the other car.

I have no idea. Generally speaking, compared to some of the other performance tire makers out there, GY falls a little short. Treadwear ratings mean nothing when compared across manufacturers. There is no standard rating system.

Was just pointing out that everyone saying "I'll just throw on these parts and smoke car X" might be in for a surprise. A complete and sorted package is greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
mmm i'm going to disagree, to an extent. When i developed my suspension on track, it had one purpose: Go fast.

When an OEM develops a suspension however, they have several: Wear and tear, comfort, price, availability... and "going fast" may be somewhere lower down the list. Now, on a model like the 1LE i would imagine "going fast" is going to be somewhere higher on the list than a base GT, maybe even the PP GT since it seems to still be a tad on the soft side, but i can promise its not the number 1 item.

I think you actually just agreed with him.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Was just pointing out that everyone saying "I'll just throw on these parts and smoke car X" might be in for a surprise. A complete and sorted package is greater than the sum of its parts.

I agree with you. Many people still feel throwing on stiffer shorter springs will lead to faster lap times when in reality it changes suspension geometry that actually slows the car down. Unless your an engineer and taking data points or putting on a complete package from engineers who already have I would leave suspension be.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think you actually just agreed with him.

Its entirely possible i read his post wrong or didnt understand his point. I was mainly referring to the part about "the oem has thousands of hours in that setup." This is true, but not all of those are dedicated to performance is what i was getting at. I merely acknowledged the benefit of having even a ton of "track" hours however, when it comes to developing suspension, be it from an OEM or privateer standpoint.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Most suspension component companies do very little full chasis engineering with thousands of hours on track for the sole purpose of going fast. And those that do will cost thousands for the upgrade. Which makes it irrelevant to this thread.

blk02edge

Established Member
I agree with you. Many people still feel throwing on stiffer shorter springs will lead to faster lap times when in reality it changes suspension geometry that actually slows the car down. Unless your an engineer and taking data points or putting on a complete package from engineers who already have I would leave suspension be.

Spring rate isnt changing geometry and if a car is obviously too soft, going a bit stiffer (as long as not too stiff) will absolutely make a difference in lap times, I know its hard to fine tune spring rate with aftermarket but I imagine the 15gt isnt far off a 1le with tires and a bit stiffer shock valving

Formula51

Established Member
Not everyone cares about a 1 sec difference in 1/4 mile times. Not everyone cares about drag racing period. Not everyone cares about paying more for "the name" and exclusivity of a car. All i see when people mention "limited production" is they will jack up the price.

Lol. Last time I checked acceleration translates to all types of driving. Since you are not worried about acceleration or exclusivity though, I guess you might as well drive a Camry.

Formula51

Established Member
It isn't that hard to believe. Put a blower on a base '15 GTPP and every advantage about your GT500 except the exclusivity is gone. And for similar money.

And some people prefer the new body style. I know, opinions are weird.

Now we are putting a blower on a brand new car! And how are we doing that for $40k (what a used 11' or 12' GT500 cost) when a GT with comparable options to a GT500 is already $40k?

As for the cars being the same, whatever helps you sleep at night. One has 550hp from thw factory, with a warranty and passed all of Fords durability tests. One does not. One has an engine with forged internals and one does not. And we can go on and on.

Now if you are buying a 15' for looks, I get it, but don't pretend it is the same level of car as an 11'-12' GT500.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Now if you are buying a 15' for looks, I get it, but don't pretend it is the same level of car as an 11'-12' GT500.

I considered getting an '11-'12 GT500 instead. I was just drawn to the '15. Something about it put me back in a Mustang. I also didn't want someone's beat to hell 3-4 year old problem and the really nice "untouched" ones were more. Plus I loved the new interior.

For the price that I got mine I'd rather spend the money throwing a blower on it and have a '15. Not saying that's for everyone but we all don't think alike.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Now we are putting a blower on a brand new car! And how are we doing that for $40k (what a used 11' or 12' GT500 cost) when a GT with comparable options to a GT500 is already $40k?

As for the cars being the same, whatever helps you sleep at night. One has 550hp from thw factory, with a warranty and passed all of Fords durability tests. One does not. One has an engine with forged internals and one does not. And we can go on and on.

I'd stick with a gt500 also if I was only concerned about acceleration and having an exclusive car.

I'm tired of the bouncy suspension on the s197, and try as it might the s550 is a better handling chassis. the performance pack also puts bad ass 6 piston brembos on the new mustang, I'm glad they finally added push button start. The new 5.0 motors now run with forged rods and forged crank, if it's really similar to a boss motor this might be able to put down 900hp with twin turbos, injectors and full exhaust.
sinister is right, everyone does not think a like, this maybe svtperformance, but not everyone needs the badge to drive around and feel better.

I also question the whole "has better resale", how does that work if the gt500 you're buying is 3+ years old with 50,000 miles and you maybe the 2nd or 3rd owner?

Users who are viewing this thread