2015 Mustang GT PP vs Camaro SS 1LE

smitty2919

Established Member
I like the 1LE as i have had a real 1LE :) (no a/c, hardtop and 6speed only, zero power options lol). I like the lineage behind it.

The 1LE has different sway bars, struts, strut tower brace, ZL1 end links, ZL1 wheel bearings, 3.91 gears, and a little bit better fuel system.

I like both cars but the 1LE sticks out a bit more to me. Just my .02 cents

Like we all know though they are still pretty heavy. They are 3820ish. I remember one member on the forums doing after market exhaust to remove the heavy stuff, removed some stuff, and it was still right at 3700lbs.

Power wise with bolt ons they will be about the same. A full bolt on LS3 will make in the 420-440rwhp area similar to a full bolt on 5.0

That being said, is it worth saving some money and buying a base SS then put shocks/springs/sway bars and get close to the performance of a stock 1LE? Wheel bearings and fuel system are a moot point if it won't be a built car but is a simple DD and occasional tray toy.

So stock for stock it seems both have the same power potential, both will have handling ability and both the same price. Seems like this may come down to personal preference on looks and comfort.

Last edited:

sdoo500

Established Member
I have never driven a 1LE but have driven several of the 2010+ Camaros. All I can say is that regardless of power levels or handling, I can't imagine liking the Camaro due to the absolutely terrible visibility and overall ergonomics. I hated how the Camaro felt like a tank and I felt that I could not see anything at all no matter which direction I looked.

smitty2919

Established Member
I would agree, I'm not a fan of the engine monitoring gauges on the center console below the radio. I have never sat in a new Mustang yet so I have no idea how far they have come. Last Mustang I sat in was a 2010 lol. Latest year mustang I have driven is a 2008!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
To keep it simple, if you want the newer, more comfy and smoother DD car, go with the 15 GT PP. If you want a car that is better connected to the driver and road and has an edge at the track, then go with the 1LE.

I chose the 1LE because driving it, is like driving a big kid go-kart.

Most importantly, go test drive both and make YOUR choice.

AAG

Established Member
If you want the nicer more comfortable car, get the Mustang. If you want the better track performer, get the 1LE.

I would wait until 2016 for the new Camaro and also to see if Ford does anything about shedding some weight (even if it's a tad).

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Fords not going lose weight. GM will lose less than speculated. You could wait for the new camaro but then you could wait for the new boss type mustang or could wait for the new 1le too.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
That being said, is it worth saving some money and buying a base SS then put shocks/springs/sway bars and get close to the performance of a stock 1LE? Wheel bearings and fuel system are a moot point if it won't be a built car but is a simple DD and occasional tray toy.

So stock for stock it seems both have the same power potential, both will have handling ability and both the same price. Seems like this may come down to personal preference on looks and comfort.

Possibly. At some point its also about owning that specific model. Ive heard of numerous members getting well loaded 1LEs in the mid to upper $30ks. Thats gonna be in the same area as moderately comparable SS. I know 1LE wheels easily go for $1000 plus. If its the look you want it might be cheaper just to buy a 1LE...if its the handling you want we can obviously agree a base model SS with a bunch of aftermarket mods will prob perform better.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
If straight line racing is your goal, '15 GT all the way. That 2nd gen Coyote is similar to a Boss (roadrunner) motor.
Auto '15 5.0, add Hellion TT + full exhaust + upgraded injectors and you're in the 900s.

Motor for motor I would go with a Coyote, but since this Mustang has even better internals, gen 2 Coyote any day!!

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I should have specified my wants/needs.

All I'm really looking for is a car that's literally a blast to drive every single time you get in the driver's seat. I should also mention that I will more than likely keep it stock for the first ~2 years of ownership and just enjoy driving the car sans maybe a catback exhaust on the GT.

Part of me says that the 1LE is the more fun car in factory form but I'm going to have to replace the tires in 8-15k miles with something cheaper and more suitable to an all-season tire as I will DD it until winter. If tires are a huge percentage of why the 1LE is a better road course car, then that makes me a bit nervous buying the 1LE knowing I won't put those tires on it when it's time to replace them.

I do need to test drive both so hopefully that will make my mind up.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

All I'm really looking for is a car that's literally a blast to drive every single time you get in the driver's seat. I should also mention that I will more than likely keep it stock for the first ~2 years of ownership and just enjoy driving the car sans maybe a catback exhaust on the GT.

Part of me says that the 1LE is the more fun car in factory form but I'm going to have to replace the tires in 8-15k miles with something cheaper and more suitable to an all-season tire as I will DD it until winter. If tires are a huge percentage of why the 1LE is a better road course car, then that makes me a bit nervous buying the 1LE knowing I won't put those tires on it when it's time to replace them.

Changing the tires to an all season will remove a huge advantage the 1LE has over the '15 mustang. The 1LE actually comes with a decent set of tires, while the '15 GT PP doesn't.

From all the reviews I have seen, the 1LE is an incredible bargain for the price, but has poor sight lines compared to the mustang. The '15 mustang GT PP has better sight lines, and it's really a tire swap and possibly a shock/strut swap away from out handling the 1LE, depending on the tires you go with. Most reviews say the GT PP has a great chassis, but is just dampened too soft for serious racing and tuned towards a more comfortable ride.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

Have you given the Challengers a closer look? The awesome thing about dodge is they offer leases on the Challengers. If keeping the car for two years is your plan, why not lease?

The Challenger scat pack looks bad ****ing ass, they sound mean stock and look sweet. Just some food for thought! :smmon:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Have you given the Challengers a closer look? The awesome thing about dodge is they offer leases on the Challengers. If keeping the car for two years is your plan, why not lease?

The Challenger scat pack looks bad ****ing ass, they sound mean stock and look sweet. Just some food for thought! :smmon:

He said he wants to keep it for 5+ years, but keep it stock for two.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

I have considered the Scat Pack but it's more of a straight line cruiser type of vehicle. Excellent power and straight line speed but I'm looking for something that I can throw on a road course once or twice a year and with its weight, it really can't keep up with the GT or 1LE.

Also, I'm planning to keep it at least 5 years.

nxhappy

Established Member

All I'm really looking for is a car that's literally a blast to drive every single time you get in the driver's seat.

well then sir, you need a GT500 ;-)

smitty2919

Established Member
OP, if the GT is on'y a tire+spring+strut swap away from being similar to the 1LE, are you going to spend that much to mod it?

You gotta pay to play. What's wrong with driving the 1LE and IF the tires need replaced, you have all winter to save money. I'm not sure what tires the 1LE comes with or what they cost, but ANY car will handle better with better rubber. Just depends how much money you want to put into it.

IMO also think of exhaust note, LS3 vs the Coyote motor. IMO if you are really into driving it, I get goosebumps hearing a LS motor ripping at WOT.

What car would be better suited if they both rolled out with the same tires?

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
well then sir, you need a GT500 ;-)

I'd hate to DD a GT500 and I'd only want an 11+ as I was never a fan of the s197 design. And the 11+ is a bit out of my price range. I'm staying at $40k. I also like the idea of a warranty for a few years.

OP, if the GT is on'y a tire+spring+strut swap away from being similar to the 1LE, are you going to spend that much to mod it?

You gotta pay to play. What's wrong with driving the 1LE and IF the tires need replaced, you have all winter to save money. I'm not sure what tires the 1LE comes with or what they cost, but ANY car will handle better with better rubber. Just depends how much money you want to put into it.

IMO also think of exhaust note, LS3 vs the Coyote motor. IMO if you are really into driving it, I get goosebumps hearing a LS motor ripping at WOT.

What car would be better suited if they both rolled out with the same tires?

That's kind of the issue. The 1LE runs 285/35/20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2. They are essentially a track only tire as they suck in anything other than track conditions.

If they both had the same tires, the 1LE would probably still be slightly ahead due to the suspension setup. The 1LE was designed for a road course.

Formula51

Established Member
I would choose the 15gt over the 07-12 gt500. The new platform is that good!

That is a serious stretch and how in the world can you lump all 07 to 12 GT500's together!?! An 11' or 12' GT500, especially with SVTPP, is so much more car than a 15GT. Stiffer, more track ready suspension, more power ($1,000 for pulley, intake, tune gets you even more), more tire, and even weighs about the same. I would take an 11' or 12' GT500 with SVTPP over a 15GT all day every day. Honestly, it is one of the better buys out there. OP, you should look around for one and see what you can find. They can definitely be had for right around $40k in excellent condition and with low miles. I know because I almost bought one before I decided to get my 03' Cobra Vert and not have a car payment!

Last edited:

vergil

Established Member
That is a serious stretch and how in the world can you lump all 07 to 12 GT500's together!?! An 11' or 12' GT500, especially with SVTPP, is so much more car than a 15GT. Stiffer, more track ready suspension, more power ($1,000 for pulley, intake, tune gets you even more), more tire, and even weighs about the same. I would take an 11' or 12' GT500 with SVTPP over a 15GT all day every day. Honestly, it is one of the better buys out there. OP, you should look around for one and see what you can find. They can definitely be had for right around $40k in excellent condition and with low miles. I know because I almost bought one before I decided to get my 03' Cobra Vert and not have a car payment!

Agreed. They added IRS and couple more things and it became the ultimate driving machine somehow yet it can't beat the older Camaro. I think people exaggerating s550 too much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread