2015 Mustang GT PP vs Camaro SS 1LE

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Agreed. They added IRS and couple more things and it became the ultimate driving machine somehow yet it can't beat the older Camaro. I think people exaggerating s550 too much.
Yes, a car that came out in 2015 cannot beat a car that was designed (2008) and nearly perfected (z28).

Sounds familiar... Nismo GTR vs C7z anyone?

nxhappy

Established Member
I would choose the 15gt over the 07-12 gt500. The new platform is that good!

1. supercharger > no supercharger
2. more displacement, more power
3. will hold its value better

and yes, I am biased :)

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
That is a serious stretch and how in the world can you lump all 07 to 12 GT500's together!?! An 11' or 12' GT500, especially with SVTPP, is so much more car than a 15GT. Stiffer, more track ready suspension, more power ($1,000 for pulley, intake, tune gets you even more), more tire, and even weighs about the same. I would take an 11' or 12' GT500 with SVTPP over a 15GT all day every day. Honestly, it is one of the better buys out there. OP, you should look around for one and see what you can find. They can definitely be had for right around $40k in excellent condition and with low miles. I know because I almost bought one before I decided to get my 03' Cobra Vert and not have a car payment!

You're right. When I looked, I didn't expand the search radius and all 2011+ were at least $45k. I've found a quite a few under $40k in a 300 mile radius so I may pursue this route.

Thanks guys.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
When a die hard bmw racer is impressed with the new times the mustang GT is putting up on runflats I take note. ask those that have decent seat time in both.
If your looking at used, the best dollar for performance is the used c6 z06 which can be found in the 30's.

blk02edge

Established Member
I feel like the 15gt is the best, who gives a crap what tires they come with, means nothing. New tires and stiffer shocks 15gt>1le.. plus the mustang is much nicer overall.

Id probably go with an 11-12 gt500 over either of them though

Formula51

Established Member
I agree, if it wasn't a 13 GT500 I wouldn't bother. Would rather have a 15 GT

Some of you guys are blowing my mind!

So you would rather have a mass produced car that runs 13.0 second quarter miles, is slower on track (than 11'-12' SVTPP I believe) and has a less capable power plant, than a 12.0 second quarter mile capable, limited production, forged/supercharged power plant car!?! What world am I living in!?!

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I drove both. I went with the GT because it was significantly cheaper and offered more features. Using my butt dyno, both cars felt the same to me.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I feel like the 15gt is the best, who gives a crap what tires they come with, means nothing. New tires and stiffer shocks 15gt>1le.. plus the mustang is much nicer overall.

Tires have everything to do with performance. The cars are only as good as their weakest link, and you need to look at the whole picture to compare two vehicles. Even if you plan on changing to a different tire later on, you could be hurting or helping the performance of your car. In the case of the 1LE, you would likely be hurting the performance. Changing tires on the '15 GT would likely help a great deal. This all depends on what tire you start with and what tire you go to obviously.

Rct851

Established Member
I dunno man. I haven't driven a 2015 but my bolt on and tuned 2013 5.0 feels kinda slow.

Rct851

Established Member
Why do you say that?

The argument seems to be the better platform of the s550, whether it be the handling, refinment ect. Is enough to offset the brute power of the gt500s and their ability to be a cheap intake/pully/tune away from another good chunk of power

Being my car as it sits should trap about 4-5mph faster than an s550 and I feel it's kinda slow then the Refinement and handling of the s550 isn't going to outweigh my want for just speed.

Main not taking it to a road course and I don't want to spend 8k making the s550 FI

Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member

So you would rather have a mass produced car that runs 13.0 second quarter miles, is slower on track (than 11'-12' SVTPP I believe) and has a less capable power plant, than a 12.0 second quarter mile capable, limited production, forged/supercharged power plant car!?! What world am I living in!?!

It isn't that hard to believe. Put a blower on a base '15 GTPP and every advantage about your GT500 except the exclusivity is gone. And for similar money.

And some people prefer the new body style. I know, opinions are weird.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
It isn't that hard to believe. Put a blower on a base '15 GTPP and every advantage about your GT500 except the exclusivity is gone. And for similar money.

And some people prefer the new body style. I know, opinions are weird.
The odd thing is on this forum people feel their opinions are fact. So if you disagree than you're flat out wrong in their eyes.

smitty2919

Established Member
I feel like the 15gt is the better, who gives a crap what tires they come with, means nothing because you can upgrade. New tires and stiffer shocks and spring plus sway bars to match the suspension as a system 15gt>1le.. plus the mustang is much nicer overall.

I would guess to match the 1LE you are looking at tires, shocks, springs and sway bars. I have NO clue what the cost of all that would be for aftermarket on the new S550.

smitty2919

Established Member

Not everyone cares about a 1 sec difference in 1/4 mile times. Not everyone cares about drag racing period. Not everyone cares about paying more for "the name" and exclusivity of a car. All i see when people mention "limited production" is they will jack up the price.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I would guess to match the 1LE you are looking at tires, shocks, springs and sway bars. I have NO clue what the cost of all that would be for aftermarket on the new S550.

Don't forget that slapping on all that stuff doesn't guarantee you anything without proper setup. The big advantage with an OEM performance model, is it has many thousands of hours spent on design/setup/sorting out. Most folks that go the aftermarket route, rarely do any significant amount of that. If you do actually get it setup well, you've usually given up something in return.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Don't forget that slapping on all that stuff doesn't guarantee you anything without proper setup. The big advantage with an OEM performance model, is it has many thousands of hours spent on design/setup/sorting out. Most folks that go the aftermarket route, rarely do any significant amount of that. If you do actually get it setup well, you've usually given up something in return.

mmm i'm going to disagree, to an extent. When i developed my suspension on track, it had one purpose: Go fast.

When an OEM develops a suspension however, they have several: Wear and tear, comfort, price, availability... and "going fast" may be somewhere lower down the list. Now, on a model like the 1LE i would imagine "going fast" is going to be somewhere higher on the list than a base GT, maybe even the PP GT since it seems to still be a tad on the soft side, but i can promise its not the number 1 item.

The nice thing is that you're luckily not having to re-invent the wheel each time, suspension tuning is pretty basic, its the little nuances that make the difference though, and in that case the thousands of hours with a platform would help a bit.

smitty2919

Established Member

Well, I assumed that. 80% of people will bolt on "lowering springs" for the look. It's the 20% remaining that will actually do research and piece together parts that work well with each other. The 20% are ones that DON'T show their cars or have it a trailer queen. IMO a lot more attention to suspension was put into the 1LE than the GT. This will come down to the OP's goal for the car and personal preference of looks/comfort.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
How good are the g2 runflats on the 1le? From what I've heard that going to a good non run flat tire will take a second plus off of the Mustangs time on a short 2min type road course. I personally would just change tires and out drive the other car.

Users who are viewing this thread