2015 Mustang GT PP vs Camaro SS 1LE

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Has anyone driven both? These are the two cars I've narrowed my search down to and I can get them both for essentially the same price. The GT would be the premium with powerpack and recaros. The 1LE is the 2SS with the recaros.

Aesthetically, I find them both appealing and it's really a toss-up. Mechanically they both seem to be outstanding. Fit and finish is a bit better on the Ford.

Anyone else had this dilemma?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I would take the mustang GT. As for the performance advantage of the 1le a lot if not all has to do with wide wheels and 2ss. I've many complaints about lack of vision in GM. Ford nailed the new mustang in all areas as far as I'm concerned. When writers are saying it feels like your driving a bmw, and bmw enthusiast gives it high praise...

BladeX10

Established Member
Wait for the new Camaro to come out. Out of those 2, I'd get the Mustang just because its a new platform.

Voltwings

Established Member
What are you going to do with them? If you're actually going to be doing road courses, i'd say its a toss up as both would be incredibly well suited for it. As much of a die-hard mustang fan as i am, that 1LE is an incredible piece of machinery. That being said, most reviews say the mustang is better suited for a DD.

So, DD - mustang
Back roads cruiser, occasional messing around car - you'd likely never be able to tell the difference
Road course - 1le is likely better right out of the box, but who leaves the car stock anyways? So, Camaro may win this one, but its still likely a wash.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I had a 2010 Camaro (not a 1LE, but it did have a 510whp 416ci stroker in it) and now have a '15 GT PP. I really enjoyed the Camaro but I like the Mustang more. The interior of the Mustang kills the Camaro. It's not even close. The visibility out of the Mustang is much much better as well. The Mustang handles better than the SS, but I haven't driven a 1LE and I'm sure it handles great. If I were choosing between a Mustang and a Camaro right now, I'd definitely wait for the new Camaro to come out. New platform, supposed to drop a lot of weight, etc.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I had a 2010 Camaro (not a 1LE, but it did have a 510whp 416ci stroker in it) and now have a '15 GT PP. I really enjoyed the Camaro but I like the Mustang more. The interior of the Mustang kills the Camaro. It's not even close. The visibility out of the Mustang is much much better as well. The Mustang handles better than the SS, but I haven't driven a 1LE and I'm sure it handles great. If I were choosing between a Mustang and a Camaro right now, I'd definitely wait for the new Camaro to come out. New platform, supposed to drop a lot of weight, etc.

I think that's the route I'll go with. They're supposed to be on lots this fall and that would also drive the price down on the 1LE if Im not a fan of the new camaro. I might go test drive the GT and that may change my mind.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
I would take the mustang GT. As for the performance advantage of the 1le a lot if not all has to do with wide wheels and 2ss. I've many complaints about lack of vision in GM. Ford nailed the new mustang in all areas as far as I'm concerned. When writers are saying it feels like your driving a bmw, and bmw enthusiast gives it high praise...

I don't think that's really fair to the 1LE. GM did a fantastic job tuning the suspension and giving it competent rubber. It gets tons of praise for it's overall performance as a package, not just it's grip. That being said, I'd still take the Mustang over it for the driving position and interior quality alone. I can't stand the high beltlines on the 5th gen.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I think that's the route I'll go with. They're supposed to be on lots this fall and that would also drive the price down on the 1LE if Im not a fan of the new camaro. I might go test drive the GT and that may change my mind.

I think you'll really like the GT once you're in it. Take a good look inside a Camaro first to get an accurate comparison and you'll see just how much nicer it is in the Mustang. As for the tranny, shifting is fine while driving normally but licks balls trying to really bang gears at high rpm. The Camaro was the same way. Nothing an MGW shifter won't fix though.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't think that's really fair to the 1LE. GM did a fantastic job tuning the suspension and giving it competent rubber. It gets tons of praise for it's overall performance as a package, not just it's grip. That being said, I'd still take the Mustang over it for the driving position and interior quality alone. I can't stand the high beltlines on the 5th gen.

Not fair? Gm was the one who did that. Could they have gotten the handling performance without it? Who knows, they chose this route. I've heard on small tracks the difference the 2ss and the first gen is about a sec. They also chose to put 60 tred ratting on the z28 to try to compete with the GTR and 991t. Let me guess that's not fair to gm either?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I think you'll really like the GT once you're in it. Take a good look inside a Camaro first to get an accurate comparison and you'll see just how much nicer it is in the Mustang. As for the tranny, shifting is fine while driving normally but licks balls trying to really bang gears at high rpm. The Camaro was the same way. Nothing an MGW shifter won't fix though.

Not too worried about the actual shifter as I am the strength of the overall transmission. I know they changed something in the MT82 for the 2015+ so maybe it's stronger now?

This is a car I'd like to keep for at least 5 years and it will be put through the paces the longer I keep it.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Not too worried about the actual shifter as I am the strength of the overall transmission. I know they changed something in the MT82 for the 2015+ so maybe it's stronger now?

This is a car I'd like to keep for at least 5 years and it will be put through the paces the longer I keep it.

I can't speak to the overall strength and longevity because I haven't been hammering on it long enough. The car is still pretty new so I haven't seen any feedback on them yet.

west08

Established Member
I believe there was a youtube video from the Motortrend youtube channel that does this exact comparo. A 2015 GT PP vs Camaro 1LE. I think it was in the Head to Head series.

Edit: Just found the video back. Can't figure out how to embed and currently don't care enough to figure it out.

https://youtu.be/jUQZwmTKMqw

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
I drove the existing Camaro and hated the tank-like cockpit view out. the gauge cluster down low on the console (ala original Camaro) is also lame, since it takes your eyes off the road just that much longer. The one I drove also had a very uncomfortable steering wheel grip angle, though someone told me they stopped using those steering wheels in later years.

The 11/12 Mustang I drove had much better visibility and ergonomics, and since the 2015 is supposed to better those items (it did in the one I sat in, but didn't get a chance to drive), I'd get the Stang over the existing Camaro.

However, if you can wait, check out the 2016 Camaro, though it appears to still have tank-slit sightlines out.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...earest-look-yet-at-the-2016-chevrolet-camaro/

smitty2919

Established Member
Go drive both...

But like people have asked, what are you going to use it for?

IMO I lean toward GM for the power/$ benefit. But I'm out of tune with the new Coyote powerplant. GM is still simple with a single cam package vs whatever you have to do with the Coyote motor and variable timing yadda yadda. This is all assuming you will dig that deep into the car.

A 15 GT in that orange color drove past me with black wheels and some exhaust work done...it made me keep looking at it. Mostly because it was new and I don't see many of them at all. They have a much wider look to them from the rear than previous years did IMO. And in terms of autocross and roadcourse thinking I like wide :)

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I like the 1LE as i have had a real 1LE :) (no a/c, hardtop and 6speed only, zero power options lol). I like the lineage behind it.

The 1LE has different sway bars, struts, strut tower brace, ZL1 end links, ZL1 wheel bearings, 3.91 gears, and a little bit better fuel system.

I like both cars but the 1LE sticks out a bit more to me. Just my .02 cents

Like we all know though they are still pretty heavy. They are 3820ish. I remember one member on the forums doing after market exhaust to remove the heavy stuff, removed some stuff, and it was still right at 3700lbs.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The 1LE is on an outgoing platform, so I would go with the Stang. Or wait until the new maro is out and compare them then.

Users who are viewing this thread