2015 Mustang Drive Shaft.. umm yea.. LOL

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
So, I stopped by my local Ford dealer today to visit a buddy. When I arrived, I bumped into him in the service drive. He said I had perfect timing, and wanted to show me a drive shaft he just pulled from a 2015 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. As I follow him back to the shop he said the customer stated "As he pulled away from a stop sign he heard a terrible noise". This is what I found on the tech's bench...

Uh huh, just pulling away from a stop sign... eh?
2qkjmt0.jpg

:rollseyes

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Aside from being super car status (mustang fire), it's also just as fast as a drive shaft-twisting Hellcat too!

svtshadow

Banned
My 12 Year old terminators drive shaft is not even rusted! What the **** are they making these cars with nowadays?

sc4.6

Established Member
My 12 Year old terminators drive shaft is not even rusted! What the **** are they making these cars with nowadays?

100 years from now your driveshaft still won't be rusty, I think it has something to do with it being aluminum.... There is nothing wrong with Ford using a steel driveshaft on the Mustang GT in my opinion since most people won't be running them at the strip on slicks, and it is easy to upgrade if and when needed.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That's an odd place to twist the shaft. I would think it would do it more towards the center where twisting forces on the shaft would be the greatest.

You're not just "pulling away" from a stop to make that happen, but I think it's possible that shaft may have had a defect to begin with.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
100 years from now your driveshaft still won't be rusty, I think it has something to do with it being aluminum.... There is nothing wrong with Ford using a steel driveshaft on the Mustang GT in my opinion since most people won't be running them at the strip on slicks, and it is easy to upgrade if and when needed.

LOL I'm glad you said it first.

I did get a kick out of reading about the non-rusted 12 year cobra driveshaft though. :nonono:

railroad

Established Member
I guess the mechanic would have noticed the rear end being locked up while pulling the driveshaft.
I still cannot fathom that happening on a stock anything.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

That's because Ford was smart enough to use an aluminum driveshaft in the Terminators. Piece of shit two piece steel in all S197's except the 13/14 GT500's which got a CF one piece. And the S550's are once again using a two piece steel.

Users who are viewing this thread