2014 Mustang to have IRS

SHELBY1962

Established Member
When I bought my Cobra the first thought was - IRS " It really Sucks". But after a bit of work fixing what the Ford engineers wimped out on, namely soft bushings. The IRS is what makes the car.
The IRS should be part of the GT/ GT500 package and solid axle on the V-6 to keep the price down on the plain jane Mustang.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
that is a terrible article, no where does it say anything about a conformation that there will be an IRS, pure speculation = worthless news

also no where but the title said the mustang was getting an IRS

Article said:
Ford sources are adamant the car will finally get independent rear suspension, but we wouldn't expect much in the way of new engines unless Ford is serious about conquering the land of high-performance hot hatches.

:read:

Jack Burton

Established Member
that is a terrible article, no where does it say anything about a conformation that there will be an IRS, pure speculation = worthless news

also no where but the title said the mustang was getting an IRS

Same thing can be said about the terminator "speculation" then went about. Just like the "speculation" about a 400+hp mustang. :shrug:

Reread the article again. "Ford sources are adamant the car will finally get independent rear suspension."

May be speculative for right now, but I'd say the information is more solid than the usual crap that we spout off about around here.

upside

AWD V8
Established Member
I like the sound of the Euro Snob option. The Mustang is due for a shrinkage, just look at its history: 1964 - small. 1971 - big. 1974 - small. 2005 - big. 2014 - small? It's like the last 10 years of Kirstie Alley.

Give yourself 10 years and see what that ass looks like.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll still be around in '14. For the rest of y'all ... it ain't looking so good. I'm just telling you so you will know the '14 Mustang will be appreciated, and you can feel better about that.

Doin' what I can for my SVTP bro's, that's me.

Jim Snover

BTW, this thread is a fail. We will all be dead before the 2014 debuts. 2013 will be the last Mustang model we see, so no IRS for you!

Jroc

Established Member
Face facts, Ford sucks at the IRS game. They can make a 4 link rear handle better then most IRS's out there. Ford has the solid axle game figured out.

lol, good one slick.

The 4link is the biggest POS rearend ever put in a car at anything other than DR'ing. Don't kid yourself boss, even in stock forum the IRS(atleast on a Terminator) is better than any 4link car I've owned or been in stock or modded. The Cobra IRS is actually a nice design with too much rubber in it, and its a much nicer design than a Foxbody/SN95 chassis. Everyone claims the IRS sucks, but its more of it just being mounted to a POS old chassis. If you drive a car that needs SFC's to get some decent performance out of its chassis, then the cars built on a POS chassis.

IRS FTW!!!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The Supra and Viper IRS hold up to 2000hp, so a strong system can be designed.

Don't be afraid of the IRS just because Ford offered a less than perfect one in the Termi's.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
lol, good one slick.

The 4link is the biggest POS rearend ever put in a car at anything other than DR'ing. Don't kid yourself boss, even in stock forum the IRS(atleast on a Terminator) is better than any 4link car I've owned or been in stock or modded. The Cobra IRS is actually a nice design with too much rubber in it, and its a much nicer design than a Foxbody/SN95 chassis. Everyone claims the IRS sucks, but its more of it just being mounted to a POS old chassis. If you drive a car that needs SFC's to get some decent performance out of its chassis, then the cars built on a POS chassis.

IRS FTW!!!

I know SLICK,

the 4 link design is tried and true CHIEF. How is the SN-95 Chassis garbage HOSS. Nice reply though TEX.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
so take a heavy ass car and make it even heavier just to make it handle marginally better at best. Face facts, Ford sucks at the IRS game. They can make a 4 link rear handle better then most IRS's out there. Ford has the solid axle game figured out. 19Cobra93's Twin turbo car with a solid axle and torque arm suspension handled better in the autocross than any car i have ever been in my entire life. Not to mention he could cut some low 60's. There is a reason there isnt a IRS in the GT500...because it sucks! Leave the IRS for the Yuppie Corvette and Bumble Bee Camaro lovers. Stop hoping on the if its not a IRS it cant turn bandwagon and face facts broski.

great post, unfortunaltely.. most of what you say in it is wrong.. a well designed IRS will be lighter than a solid axle.. (how much do you think the IRS in the 05/06 GT (not the Mustang) weights, bet it's lighter than a solid axle) and if you think that the GT can't handle.........

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
great post, unfortunaltely.. most of what you say in it is wrong.. a well designed IRS will be lighter than a solid axle.. (how much do you think the IRS in the 05/06 GT (not the Mustang) weights, bet it's lighter than a solid axle) and if you think that the GT can't handle.........

ok Buckaroo, you compare a 150K+ car to a cobra? The space shuttle is faster then a ford GT but it doesnt mean im putting solid rockets on my car.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Anyone know a way to get an IRS into a S197, I think Maximum Motorsports did it but I can't find the article.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Also if we're going to discriminate on the Terminators IRS how about do it to all IRS Cobras. .

Take it easy there sport. Time to disconnect for a while. An internet discussion is not supposed to upset you.

The reason I left out the earlier cobras was because they were so weak from the factory power wise, that it didn't matter anyway;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread