2013 Mustang Production extended.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I still stand by my estimate of 4000-4500 units. I'm basing this on the amount of weeks left to produce this car- using what had already been produced at last update.

I also originally said that the car would be built until February. With Orders for '14 starting in March, and deliveries
Starting in May.

I'm glad Tim Young spoke up to clarify exactly what I was told all along.

The only variation to that was a rumor that was floated that the car would stop being built in January.

Thanks for the info, Iceman.

I think Farmboy90 was looking into current build/allocation totals today (in another thread).

It seems alot of people are getting their cars now as well- which should help bring that "stock" count down.

Last edited:

drmustang

Banned
I still stand by my estimate of 4000-4500 units. I'm basing this on the amount of weeks left to produce this car- using what had already been produced at last update.

I also originally said that the car would be built until February. With Orders for '14 starting in March, and deliveries
Starting in May.

I'm glad Tim Young spoke up to clarify exactly what I was told all along.

The only variation to that was a rumor that was floated that the car would stop being built in January.

Thanks for the info, Iceman.

I think Farmboy90 was looking into current build/allocation totals today (in another thread).

It seems alot of people are getting their cars now as well- which should help bring that "stock" count down.

Yeah, probably real close to what would be sold and along the lines of other prior years. These cars got real pricey. There aren't too many Mustangers out there able or looking to spend ovr 60 grand on a new one.

waitingonshelby

Established Member
I work for a company that supplies a component for the 2013 Shelby. Based on our numbers Ford should build a little more than 5500. Does anyone know how many have been built so far? I placed my order on 8/28 and still don't have a build date (or VIN)

Last edited:

eagle eye

Established Member
I work for a company that supplies a component for the 2013 Shelby. Based on our numbers Ford should build a little more than 5500. Does anyone know how many have been built so far? I placed my order on 8/28 and still don't have a build date (or VIN)

Build date? Vin? 8/28 ? I placed my order on 3/27 and still hear the same shit from Ford, "in processing"

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
They were producing around 75,000 Mustangs a year, maybe Ford thinks it has a shot at the sales title. Last year, production halted in November and again in 2010. One shift could be operating near max. Extending production could flood the market during winter up to a nice 85 day supply. Next year they can close down and retool early for the '15...

Just my opinion...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
They were producing around 75,000 Mustangs a year, maybe Ford thinks it has a shot at the sales title. Last year, production halted in November and again in 2010. One shift could be operating near max. Extending production could flood the market during winter up to a nice 85 day supply. Next year they can close down and retool early for the '15...

Just my opinion...

peteypab2133

Established Member

Does this include replacement parts as well. Or strictly new production parts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member

Just my opinion...

From my info, I think your exactly right. Plus for the next 5 months they are only building mustangs at that plant for the first time since Ford moved production there. That equals 50 to 100% more production capacity for 5 months (- down time for the plant in Nov/Dec).

Snoopy49

Established Member
Production capacity is only one factor, supply, demand and transportation are other contributing factors to consider. No manufacturer today is going to intentionally produce more car than they can sell, None of them want unsold last year models sitting on dealer lots. They can only make as many cars as they can get parts for, they depend on 1000's of independent suppliers to supply the parts needed for production. The suppliers need to guarantee that the required parts will be on hand when they are needed on the line. People are already complaining about the amount of time their finished cars are sitting at a shipment stagging area.
There is no magic dial that can be turned to instantly increase production.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Production capacity is only one factor, supply, demand and transportation are other contributing factors to consider. No manufacturer today is going to intentionally produce more car than they can sell, None of them want unsold last year models sitting on dealer lots. They can only make as many cars as they can get parts for, they depend on 1000's of independent suppliers to supply the parts needed for production. The suppliers need to guarantee that the required parts will be on hand when they are needed on the line. People are already complaining about the amount of time their finished cars are sitting at a shipment stagging area.
There is no magic dial that can be turned to instantly increase production.

While I agree with most of the above. I can tell you that transportation (Rail) isn't even at 50% of capacity out of the plant right now. People are waiting on there cars because a rail car NEVER leaves the plant with less than a full load. So you need 15 to 18 autos headed for the same general location (rail-port) before they will load a rail car. I have seen 14 autos sit for 3 months waiting for #15. Auto manufactures typically like to have a 60 to 90 day supply of cars on hand. Right now Mustang is approximately at a 20 day supply. Check dealers lots, most have between 0 to 2 (all types) on the lot right now. Overall mustang sales are higher than expected this year and they are way behind in production. They plan on changing that in the next 5 months and going into spring of 2014 with many more on dealers lots. Ford has ordered more empty railcars into the plant for October than any month this year. Their staging area (cars waiting for shipment) is not even 25% full. The weekly supply chain reports are about as clean as they can be for the most part. I think this all points to "opening the faucet" so to speak.

And now I have a question for Snoopy49: Why are you always so negative about production? Whenever anyone expresses the slightest bit of optimism in production numbers, you are very quick to shoot them down. I've noticed it on several threads related to production numbers. Do you have some sort of stake in lower numbers?:shrug:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I guess it comes from waiting 4 months for a car that may never be produced and the fact that there are very few Mustangs of any kind on dealers lots.

As far as opening the faucet is concerned, the flow is limited to the parts supply. Another explanation may be a short term increase in flow to clear out the some of the back logged orders before the planned shut downs in Nov & Dec.

It will also be interesting to see how the new paint system that is is being installed in November works out. When does it go on line?

Personally I hope your right and my theory is total BS. I would really like to have my car before Christmas.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I guess it comes from waiting 4 months for a car that may never be produced and the fact that there are very few Mustangs of any kind on dealers lots.

As far as opening the faucet is concerned, the flow is limited to the parts supply. Another explanation may be a short term increase in flow to clear out the some of the back logged orders before the planned shut downs in Nov & Dec.

It will also be interesting to see how the new paint system that is is being installed in November works out. When does it go on line?

Personally I hope your right and my theory is total BS. I would really like to have my car before Christmas.

Okay, At least I somewhat understand your negativity. If your dealer has an allocation, you will get your car, And I will bet it will be before Dec 1. But if your dealer doesn't have ana allocation, all bets are off. I wish you the best of luck and I can tell you it will be worth the wait. As soon as you sit in the seat and fire it up for the first time, you will forget all the pain of waiting!

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Worth the wait

Iceman, Thank you the updates. My dealer had 2 alowcations, I was the 2nd ordered on 5/16. The 1st was ordered 3 weeks prior than mine & he just received his car. I ordered with the owner of the dealer so I checked with him & he said still waiting (he is very nice but wasn't getting any help from Ford either) so we called SVT & the customer service #'s, same thing no schedule, vin or anything yet. The customer service side transfered me to marketing to check?? They said they would call back in 2 days (that would have been Thursday 9/19) with information on the build status. So you have given me the answer I was looking for. In 2005 when Ford announced they were going to build a Shelby I went to my dealer in AZ & put down a deposit for the 1st one (was my 5th SVT/SVO product) over a year later I received #64 of production. The dealer's son didn't even get one before me. (he had a GT already). It's sitting in the garage waiting for a stable mate. I understand everyones frustrations with dealers but after working for 30 years as a service advisor/manager I can tell everyone kindness will carry ALOT more weight than anger. Be sincere, & smile & be gratefule We have these fantastic machines to look forward to. Just think of the cars of the mid 70's to the early 80's if you really want to have something to be angry about.

Colleton

Established Member

Is this the new "3 Wet" process? If so, it should be awesome. My wife's Focus ST was painted with this process and the paint job is really nice.

Myfast70

Established Member
I can tell you it will be worth the wait. As soon as you sit in the seat and fire it up for the first time, you will forget all the pain of waiting!

x2. I finally picked mine up today after 5 1/2 months of waiting and WOW!! the first drive home was great. I can't believe how great a feeling it is to actually have it in my garage.

railroad

Established Member
When I first started shopping for the Shelby, a local dealer showed me 4 orders he had in for 3 coupes and 1 convert. I told him, I was looking for X-plan or something close to it. The orders were dated June 8th and type 2 orders. They are a very large dealership and also carry Roush. Most salesman follow up, but I have not heard from him. Since then I have an order in with another dealer, but am wondering how they are fairing on their June orders. I would think that a type 2 order would be after all type 1, customer orders are filled. Anyone have any experience with that? Just got a call from the dealer, orders have not been delivered. Salesman said, he would talk with production manager and get an update and call me back. Dealer called back, 2 are in production, but will have to research which ones. All the coupes had pp and tp with recaros, stickered for about 63,455. The colors ordered are bright blue, black and gray. The convert was red with the pp, tp, recaros, and car cover. I can give more specifics if anyone wants to pursue purchasing which ever cars come through. I told them, I had already ordered, but might have someone interested.

railroad

Established Member
Just got a call back on the 2 Shelbys. The Black coupe and the Red w/tint convert are scheduled for Nov 23. I guess that is a delivery date, should have confirmed. If anyone wants to deal on these, the salesman is Curtis Jones at Town and Country Ford, 205- 491-0000. I can post any info from the order sheets if the options are critical to a purchase. It would have probably cost me about $3k more, but I would probably have done better going with them. Hope this helps someone with the Hots for one.

railroad

Established Member
I thought I would call my dealer to make sure I did not get a front tag mount installed or a dealer decal glued on the car. My salesman was off and I got another one that was real helpful and had some great news. Wonder what my salesman has been doing???
I HAVE A SCHEDULED BUILD DATE OF OCT 29th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ETA OF NOV 4 and MY VIN NUMBER.
I called SVT, who confirmed all the info and off the record, he said, the ETA could be as much as 4 weeks from the schedule build. Very nice person to speak with, as all the SVT people that I have dealt with.
I was unable to get a window sticker as the site stated the number was not recognized, but that is a minor detail when you get the call. Ford must be really humping, I figured I was on the border of getting a 13 or 14. I am a very HAPPY PERSON.

Users who are viewing this thread