2013 GT500... the new Terminator?

04svtsnke

Established Member
Like others have said the '13 gt500 will never be a 03/04 cobra but it's undeniable that this car has wreaked havoc for Chevy just like the terminator did back in 03-04. The fact the camaro is basically and obsolete hunk of fatty tissue is all I need to feel good about this new car.

GoGreen04

Established Member
So many cars come these days with 400+ HP. In 2003 the Cobra owned the road, and will still destroy 9 out of 10 cars on the road, and came in uner 40k.

The GT500 is great piece of machinary, but it will never be to the masses what the 2003-2004 Cobra was.

This

KILRSVT

Established Member
13 GT 500 is close to it but not quite the terminator . The 03 cobra killed the camaro in every aspect it ended the debate no argument period. The ZL1 does not quite out handle the GT500 but it does out perform it due to better braking on a road course and due to that its not quite the terminator but The GT500 does Lead in horse power... Also I feel the 03 cobras were more affordable 38k compared to 55k non msrp which is reality more that 60k right now .. So it is a beast but not the T2 yet

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Please direct me to any dealership where I can get the 2013 GT500 for under 65k today. I would love to snag one at that price.

Go ahead......... I'll wait.

Try looking. You'll find one. Don't worry, I'll wait. Many members have gotten them at...or under....MSRP. Coming from a house that owns both an '03 and a '13, calling a '13 a Terminator is stupid. The car was codenamed a Terminator, so that's what it is. The '13 is not a "new Terminator". When you look at the rest of the market, it's a great value/money purchase. The '13 is simply the first car that Ford/SVT have put out since the '03 that does what it does so well, and for a good cost. $65K now, taking inflation into account, runs out to about $54K in 2003. Right around the MSRP of a Z06 Corvette of that time. Line the two up next to one another and see what happens.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I have heard and read a lot people of people calling the 13 GT500 the "new Terminator"... whats everyone think of that? :shrug: How about T2? Seems to me there is only one orignal Terminator! I am probably biased given my 04 but when I hear that I sort of feel like come on, sure compare but don't call it the new Terminator!

Mind explaining who "people" are and where you "heard" this in your generalization?

$65,000
$38,000

One is a Terminator, the other is over priced.

Oh please! Base is 55k that's far from overpriced

You do realize that's a relative statement based on one's income and/or priorities. Even out of those of us that can afford it, there are those who wouldn't buy one becuase of the Shelby nameplate markup alone.

The fact the camaro is basically and obsolete hunk of fatty tissue is all I need to feel good about this new car.

GT500 is pretty heft as well and one of the turnoff's for me in it's design. The other being a very pedestrian interior for a car with it's performance prowless.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Here is the one on the rear bumper.

bumper_label.jpg

IIRC, the only "Terminator" marks are the sticker on the rear bumper and molded on the back side of the side scoop inserts.

i was doing my hilton boost gauge overlay last weekend and noticed that the gauge cluster has a sticker on it that said "terminator"

2004Droptop

Established Member
Mind explaining who "people" are and where you "heard" this in your generalization?

You do realize that's a relative statement based on one's income and/or priorities. Even out of those of us that can afford it, there are those who wouldn't buy one becuase of the Shelby nameplate markup alone.

GT500 is pretty heft as well and one of the turnoff's for me in it's design. The other being a very pedestrian interior for a car with it's performance prowless.
Sure go read the GT500 board here

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
The Terminator is to the american muscle car crowd, as the supra is to the import crowd. A legend that will always have a dedicated and loyal following.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I think they should leave the Terminators to the 03/04's. Ford named the engines in the 13's Trinity, so call it the Matrix. Wait, that name is already used on another car. Oh well, maybe they can call it a Predator.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
The Terminator is to the american muscle car crowd, as the supra is to the import crowd. A legend that will always have a dedicated and loyal following.

Well said.

I dont think the '13 GT500 is the new terminator but its no doubt a bad mother****er. Anyway you look at it, you can only realistically use so much power on the street no matter what car you have. Run a 700hp cobra to a 700hp 500 and the cobra will probably walk away with the win just by weight difference alone. All these new cars might be stepping up the hp but theyre also piling on the pounds too. Theyre all 4000+ lb. tanks now.

dom418

Established Member
The '13 is the new king of the streets but the story behind the terminator and the meaning behind it is what makes it one of a kind. Without the Terminator there would be no Shelby, it paved the way for today's gt500. The terminator is like the grand national, supra, etc. Cars that were the first of their kind and will always be desired. Just look how well these cars have held their value.

The 13 is better in every way as it should be in 10 years of evolution and a $70k price tag. You can already see that Shelby's can already be had for a fraction of their sticker and that says something. No matter how refined and fast bottom line is they produced too many and there is no end in sight. Nobody cares how outdated the terminator platform is just like nobody cares how slow and outdated a 70' boss is or any other classic. They are still desirable and have a following.

tuffluvcapo

Established Member

Just joined to say that is my '13 and is slightly unstock. JLT 127 carbon fiber intake and Jon Lund tune. I don't call my car a terminator but T2 has a nice ring to it.

I will also add to the debate that gearing, powerband, and overall connection to the road are big variables, not just peak horsepower. Do a Cobra up right and it will be confident, not just fast.

Last edited:

dlc03

Established Member
Just joined to say that is my '13 and is slightly unstock. JLT 127 carbon fiber intake and Jon Lund tune. I don't call my car a terminator but T2 has a nice ring to it.

I will also add to the debate that gearing, powerband, and overall connection to the road are big variables, not just peak horsepower. Do a Cobra up right and it will be confident, not just fast.

What power u making to the wheels?

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Where are you getting 38,000 for the Terminator? MSRP in 2003 was $34,750 for the coupe. Now as far as more advanced in every way. ARE you kidding me, a solid rear axle is more advanced than an IRS? The engine is bigger, with a bigger supercharger.. the way I see it, most of the GT 500 is just more refined over the 03/04 Cobra..

YMMV...

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
Too bad its just flat out Fugly.

I'm a fan till the 2009 model... then I just end up being a Horsepower groupie :(

Det.Bullitt

Banned
If you think about it the reason Ford named or car "Terminator" is because this was the car that put the Camaro and Trans Am to rest the first time. Now if the Camaro and Challenger go away I believe it would be a great name for it.

Users who are viewing this thread