2013 GT installing Kooks Longtubes with Before & After Results

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
As promised..... here is the next article I am doing.

With the coyote's still showing everyone that they are the best thing Ford has ever put in the pony.... The aftermarket industry is right their with them on producing products that wake the bad boys right up!!

I still remember when making 350rwhp was amazing and running 12s on a street car was un-touchable. Now.... if your not making over 400 or running 10s.... their is a problem. Technology has come a long way I must say.

So with that being said, we decided to see how much power going from a couple bolt-ons to the next level. We had the chance to work with a local customer and his beautiful 2013 GT manual.

This machine was already running a BBR tune, STEEDA CAI and a Lethal Off Road H-Pipe. In my mind... this was a perfect candidate for this test because this is prob one of the most commonly bought mods on the market.

Off Road H

Under the hood

Once the car arrived here.... we Let it cool down for a bit and made a pull. To our surprise... this made really good power with the current mods:

Now.... the fun begins :rockon:

After seeing seeing what she put down on the basic mods, we quickly started to tear her apart and begin this car's 2nd Chapter of it's life.

We are installing the KOOKS Longtube Headers with off road H Pipe. Once the car was being ripped apart, the owner decided he wanted to add the BOSS manifold to it as well. We actually agreed with this because the longtubes should help the mid range where the BOSS manifold would take that away... In theory that is.

I will admit... they look very nice and the welds are spot on!

So we put the manifold on first because it is a pretty easy install. No more than an hour I'd say. After that, we started the header install. Now removing the H pipe and stock headers is fairly easy and doesn't take a lot of time. With the proper tools and a lift... Take you couple hours max. On jack stands, prob about the same. (I'm using real life times not shops)

Now when we went to install the new longtube (which the Kooks are more of a mid length), we came to our first problem.. The gaskets that Kooks provided threw up a red flag. Check this out:

The material was very cheap and we quickly decided we are not using these. The stock header gaskets work great so we used that instead.

After this, we mounted up the headers. On the driver side, we had to disconnect the steering shaft to slide them in. Was a game of tetris trying to fit the shaft through the header. Once mounted up, we started to put the new supplied header bolts in. All but 1 would go in and if you start with that one.. none of the others would fit. We had to do some grinding on the flange which didn't take long and not a big deal but had to pull the header back off.

Once this was corrected and getting the header back into place, it was fine and tighten right down. On the passenger side, I must say it went in very easy until we had to put the starter back in. (We like many remove the starter on instals like this.) We had to remove the header and install the starter first. My tip.... be careful. The wires are very close to the header once in place. And if you ever have to remove and replace your starter, the header has to come off.

Here is a picture to show how tight it was

Once this was taking care of, we moved on to install the H pipe which went very well and is very easy.

Here is a picture of them installed:

After this, we put her back on the dyno to give her some time with Chris.

Dyno Video:
13 GT on dyno with BBR tuning - YouTube

The Kooks with the Borla S-Type Axle back I must say is stupid loud but mean as all hell!!!!

After 4 pulls, Chris had this baby dialed in perfect. As you can see below:

Here is the graph comparing the first pull to the final pull

Now before people freak out... The dyno lost the trq signal right at the very end and is why it looks like this. It's also caused by over spinning the dyno. We did not have our eddie-break on for this car. The point I was making is the horsepower difference. We all knew the trq would be down with the manifold but you can see where the mods helped over the previous ones.

Once this was finished..... The owner wanted to have a little fun. here is the video of the car at idle and giving her some love

13GT with new exhaust - YouTube

Here is a picture of the finished product under the hood:

Now... with the issues that happened... I am not going to say they are horrible, ect ect ect... It happens.... Every company can have issues. Does it take longer to install these over the others..... YES. Does the quality overcome the others..... Maybe... Is the welds good? HELL YEAH!!!!!! These headers and manifold picked up a good 40hp and I would be very happy with that.

Cost of Items used:
BOSS Manifold: $479.99
Kooks Headers: $980.00
Kooks Off Road H: $457.77

Any more questions, please feel free to call 561-417-5555

Last edited by a moderator:

bmore1186

Established Member
Exactly. Those Pypes look like they're doing the same thing pretty much. Did you guys re-use the stock gaskets on the pypes or were those good enough quaility?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Wouldve loved to see a pull with just the boss manifold then the headers. But good write up.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Great write up Steve.... Have you ever tried the catted H instead of the offroad pipe with headers? I have the catted H on my car and I am convinced that's robbing some power from me....

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Exactly. Those Pypes look like they're doing the same thing pretty much. Did you guys re-use the stock gaskets on the pypes or were those good enough quaility?

We used the ones they provided

Wouldve loved to see a pull with just the boss manifold then the headers. But good write up.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I wanted to bad. Saldy, it was off the dyno and on the 2 post lift for the header swap already.

ATTFighter

Established Member
Hey everyone, I am the owner of the mustang. I first just want to take the time to thank Blow By Racing (steve, chris, rob etc.) for being amazing. They offer great customer service and they really work closely with you and make you feel like you are part of the project and at home. Steve also takes the time to do these articles for us. Thank you BBR! I will continue to keep going back and always use BBR as my local mustang shop.

I could not be happier with the results and outcome of my mods and dyno tune. I was really hoping for the 440-450 whp range and I am glad i hit it. The car feels so responsive and sounds really nice although it is loud!

I see people are already talking about (why spend the extra cash with no gain) ^^ like above. I just wanted to mention that no matter which brands for mods whether you choose to use kooks, pypes, stainless etc that's your choice i think there all good.

I however happened to pick up a pretty good deal on these parts during black friday which is why I chose to go the more expensive route that actually turned out to be not to bad, hoping i would see some extra gains!

And i believe i did see some extra gains 447 whp is pretty impressive for these mods and I am beyond happy. Steve is doing these articles to show you guys what these cars are making on these specific mods and how it varies from brand to brand.

So just wanted to chime in and thank steve again for this and hopefully these articles help you guys who are still deciding which route you want to take the car make your decision. I am personally not very mechanically inclined and do not know nearly as much as most of you. This is my first mustang and car I have had work done to and I ask questions as much as I can and BBR always puts it in simple terms for me and I have learned a lot. But if i can say one thing, it is that I can not recommend using BBR enough! Chris is an excellent tuner. Cheers!

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
Didnt trash talk anything just point out the obvious if your happy thats all that matter and great looking car btw love that color

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Great write up Steve.... Have you ever tried the catted H instead of the offroad pipe with headers? I have the catted H on my car and I am convinced that's robbing some power from me....

Usually, you will see I'd say a few hp is lost. You have to be careful with high flow cats, they like to break apart quick. Going by personal experience

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Hey everyone, I am the owner of the mustang. I first just want to take the time to thank Blow By Racing (steve, chris, rob etc.) for being amazing. They offer great customer service and they really work closely with you and make you feel like you are part of the project and at home. Steve also takes the time to do these articles for us. Thank you BBR! I will continue to keep going back and always use BBR as my local mustang shop.

I could not be happier with the results and outcome of my mods and dyno tune. I was really hoping for the 440-450 whp range and I am glad i hit it. The car feels so responsive and sounds really nice although it is loud!

I see people are already talking about (why spend the extra cash with no gain) ^^ like above. I just wanted to mention that no matter which brands for mods whether you choose to use kooks, pypes, stainless etc that's your choice i think there all good.

I however happened to pick up a pretty good deal on these parts during black friday which is why I chose to go the more expensive route that actually turned out to be not to bad, hoping i would see some extra gains!

And i believe i did see some extra gains 447 whp is pretty impressive for these mods and I am beyond happy. Steve is doing these articles to show you guys what these cars are making on these specific mods and how it varies from brand to brand.

So just wanted to chime in and thank steve again for this and hopefully these articles help you guys who are still deciding which route you want to take the car make your decision. I am personally not very mechanically inclined and do not know nearly as much as most of you. This is my first mustang and car I have had work done to and I ask questions as much as I can and BBR always puts it in simple terms for me and I have learned a lot. But if i can say one thing, it is that I can not recommend using BBR enough! Chris is an excellent tuner. Cheers!

It's always a good time man and we are up the street for ya whenever as you know bud :beer: Enjoy your beast !!

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
Kooks make awesome headers. Probably one of the best next to ARH. They were one of my favorite on my 2011 camaro and made awesome gains.

As the other poster said, it would have been nice to see with stock then boss.

Either way, I like it:thumbup:

Sent from Universe X3 using my Thumb

01bluesnake

Established Member
Is Kooks suppose to be the highest power gaining header when it comes to long tubes on these cars?

Car is freaking loud lol, but does sound pretty good. Would really love to hear it with a X pipe.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Is Kooks suppose to be the highest power gaining header when it comes to long tubes on these cars?

Car is freaking loud lol, but does sound pretty good. Would really love to hear it with a X pipe.

Kooks has been known for its "better" quality and fitment over the years and is up there on price compared to others.

it was louder lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
Nice write up scuba steve!

And the kooks longtubes with o/r X is definitely louder. I have it on my 00 GT with SLP Loudmouth 1s :D

01bluesnake

Established Member
I had multiple sets of Kooks headers, but was wondering if they are one of the higher gainers on the 5.0. All my kooks setups have been with a X, never really liked the sound an H pipe gives.

Dave_6

Established Member

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ya, been tossing the idea around of staying N/A but by the time you add up exhaust, manifold and a few other bolt on's i could just buy a paxton lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread