2013 5.0 Build Thread - VORTECH/FORGESTAR/APR Widebody/KW V3 Coilovers and much more

Mark Aubele

Established Member
Oh, well that's easy, Vorshlag's track car uses a higher rate than 700lbs/in from what I remember if not it's the same:

View attachment 55321

They didn't run Eibach dampers, they ran MCS RR2s IIRC. I believe they ended up with an 800lb spring. Read my post, said haven't heard of anyone running a 700 with the Eibachs.

Last edited:

Thalilbear02

Established Member
So to clear the air, I went over more information about the coilover kit and I'd like to post up a few things in regards to it. Below I've copied some comments from one of the guys at Eibach who helped me out with this particular kit to give you guys more information. Sure, there's still going to be some doubters out there, I know that and I expect that, but ultimately if you guys want to comment, "That set up wont work," or "Those shocks can't handle that spring rate," I will be testing this once it's on the car and I'll give my unbiased opinion comparing it to my previous two coilover sets that I've had on this chassis. Firstly though, from the research I've seen there are a LOT of guys running similar spring rates on the track without issues with the valving or the shock being able to handle it. Here's what I wanted to post up, straight from Eibach:

We've tested the valving of these coilovers up to 1000+ lbs/in. I currently use 600fr and 700rr rates on my personal set up with off-the-shelf valving. Custom valving is offered as Tanner mentioned in the phone conversation. We build everything in-house at our Corona, CA facility and turn around time is very fast!

Here are a few in car videos of my Civic at different tracks. We are testing them! My Civic has a stock B18C5 ITR motor and trans with stock LSD, Nitto NT01s, Eibach R2 coilovers and Hawk Blue pads. I've been using the 600/700 rates for a while now and love it! The car has no aero at the moment with the exception of a Spoon Duckbill.

We valved these kits high so rates could be stiffened if desired. With the shock settings at full open on stiffer rates this kit feels very comfortable on the street.

There's more to be posted, but I think at the end of the day what matter's most is someone's opinion on a Mustang. I'll report back after the weekend once it's installed :)

Mark Aubele

Established Member
Not trying to disagree with you at all, just keep in mind that the car that is being made an example of has a motion ratio up front of ~.7, while our cars are over .9, so a 600lb spring up front is only ~420 at the wheel, while most of the 700lb rate for us ends up at the wheel, so there is much more to dampen. Plus much more sprung and unsprung weight.

Still man, I really do hope they work well for you. I run "way too much spring" on Koni Yellows (550/300) myself. At the worst it seems from what they say (eibach) they could possibly use a revalve.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Had a moment to take some nicer photos :)

IMG_6757.gif

IMG_6760.gif

IMG_6771_1.gif

IMG_6770.gif

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Should have more photos soon, I've been delayed on getting it all uploaded but I just haven't had the time.

With that said, I've had some time now to at least play with the rebound/compression settings on the car, and so far I'm very impressed with the system's ability to make a substantial difference in tuning. Compression and Rebound settings both so far have made pretty substantial differences in overall feel. Despite the spring rate which most would say sounds very high, if the compression setting is all the way open (aka at 0), and same with the rebound, the whole car feels like a Cadillac, it's impressive how insanely comfortable it is. After playing around a bit I found the sweat spot with just a couple clicks of compression and a few more of rebound to match, and she seriously feels like it's on rails. In the not to distant future I plan on going on a few track days once I get the cooling set up as well as the wheel/tire situation which hopefully shouldn't be substantially too much longer. I'll make sure to post up some videos, but hopefully I'll get some more photos of the car shortly.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
I've finally had more time to take some more photos and actually be able to give a proper review on the suspension as well. Despite having a significantly high spring rate, higher than most would normally consider, the suspension is insanely comfortable with the compression settings set at the lowest. I've had suspension before, unfortunately too many coilers that I've spent a lot of money on before that have claimed to have decent adjustments but none of them have actually been able to hold a light to this. The rebound/compression settings ACTUALLY make a difference, you feel it, it isn't a placebo effect, it's actual adjustment.

The spring rates that I have selected are 700lbs/in front and 300lbs/in rear which to some sound like they are way too high but for daily driven use, I would NOT have a problem with this at all. Even at the full soft setting the performance is substantially higher than previous suspension too, but once dialed in, this thing can really move through the corners.

I took some more photos with the external reservoirs as well as the adjustment knobs you'll see up front too. The bracket that you see comes with the kit, and the rear brackets are also included so that adjustment can be done just near the rear LCA's.

B8A59477-B9B4-4A4B-995F-BDF17BE68777.gif

5E8D07C2-CDBE-4086-B3E5-C9A2C351B0C6.gif

F42AB179-C4EA-4574-AE54-CD192C9E1A39.gif

Compression adjustment on top of the camber plates which are included. I was able to dial the camber to about -2.0, I'll probably adjust them closer to -2.5-2.7 once I have my track wheels and tires taken care of.
E0E31A0D-AA23-4F8F-85DB-3D47C0785752.gif

Easy rebound adjustments that you can access here on the reservoir. One thing that makes me happy about this kit too is that the clicks on the adjustments, compression or rebound, actually have a significant click so that there isn't a guessing game to try to have each side match the other. I've had other kits in the past where the clicks are somewhat vague and you're unsure if it was actually a click of rebound or not. Luckily no issues here.
28913F94-2D0C-414B-9303-23D08C76B07B.gif

Since I was doing all this I figured since I didn't have any completion pictures of the roll bar set up, seat and new steering wheel, that I'd include them here:

D2934A73-C734-4BF7-A51D-87BEE8E0ADA3.gif

459E7EE1-0E8F-4F85-B003-497DDAEED99C.gif

5720C826-D7DA-4EAE-975C-3AD5FDA2AE78.gif

F3230713-5E92-4602-B5CB-ECDE539D45A8.gif

AC801283-2F5B-4B2A-B2FC-80BA029BF86D.gif

Final few things to put together then it's time for more track time. I have a few things in the works, but we're looking at track wheels, slicks and cooling (radiator/oil cooler etc). After that we'll get some track time on this car finally and everything that comes after that will just be to improve the way this thing handles ;)

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
My Eibach Pro R1's only lasted me about 12,000 miles before they started leaking. The issue I had with them is that as you lower the vehicle, it compresses the stroke length. So any bumps, dips or uneven surfaces would cause the head of the shock to bang against the shock body and prematurely wear out the seals. You'll probably be alright since the car is not DD'd and going full racecar so ride height is setup for function.

Last edited:

Thalilbear02

Established Member
My Eibach Pro R1's only lasted me about 12,000 miles before they started leaking. The issue I had with them is that as you lower the vehicle, it compresses the stroke length. So any bumps, dips or uneven surfaces would cause the head of the shock to bang against the shock body and prematurely wear out the seals. You'll probably be alright since the car is not DD'd and going full racecar so ride height is setup for function.

Something I'll keep an eye out for. I think given the substantial spring rate and as you mention the fact that I won the hitting any dips and bumps and such on a street, I likely won't see that issue. Thanks for mentioning it though, I'll keep an eye out.

Thank goodness Eibach has a damn good warranty though.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Who makes that roll bar? i like the setup integrating the rear seat brace.

It's custom. If you're in Southern California, where he's located too, I could PM you his info if you'd like. I wanted something unique that you couldn't just buy from a website (aka like from Autopower or from MM).

Thalilbear02

Established Member
It's been a long while since I've been on here, but hopefully we've got some new stuff in the works to get this car ready for the spring track season :)

Jurristang.gif

pedzer

Established Member
Well... That's an hour well spent. Thread binging: It won't make you fat.

Great stuff man. Can't wait to see it in action and hear how everything's working together.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Well... That's an hour well spent. Thread binging: It won't make you fat.

Great stuff man. Can't wait to see it in action and hear how everything's working together.

Thank you! Once my garage remodel is finally finished I can actually get to work on putting some more parts on and testing everything out on the track :)

SixPak

Established Member
I like everything about it except the color. A gray car is a gray car by any other name. I owned a gray car once, spent the better part of a day washing and waxing it. When I was done It didn't look much better than when I started. Just a very boring color IMO. Other than that, nice job.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
I like everything about it except the color. A gray car is a gray car by any other name. I owned a gray car once, spent the better part of a day washing and waxing it. When I was done It didn't look much better than when I started. Just a very boring color IMO. Other than that, nice job.

All good. We're all different when it comes to what colors we like man ;)

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Not sure what colors to pick. What would you guys do? Here's the style:

14116783254c326d6d6f01224874e52b8d78f30de3.png

Throwing around the idea of all black like this:
24355510354_8dba581f54_b.jpg

Or maybe something more unique like this:
21305145670_db3510968e_b.jpg

Or something like this maybe (lol see where my problem is with trying to pick?)
17327561103_d014248818_b.jpg

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
I think the bronze looks good, maybe add in a couple other bronze accents like the 5.0 badge or the calipers to help it pop more.

Users who are viewing this thread