2011 Mustang: Where does it fall?

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
the new 5.0 is going to be a higher compression motor, which is not ideal for boosted situations. However, high compression motors usually react well to spray. Look at the LS1 for instance, in stock form its not great for turbo/blowers but they LOVE small shots of nitrous.

I think Ford has really gone in the right direction with this 5.0 GT and their sales should be VERY strong for all versions v6 and v8...so good for ford and us. As for me, id wait till 2012-2013 after all the buzz around the 5.0 is settled and pick one up for a couple thousand below sticker...

ah yes, i didn't pay attention to the compression ratio. Thank you.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Amazing development for the Mustang GT...

...an aluminum 32V, N/A 5.0 that puts out 400hp on regular gas (412 on 93)
...a new buff body style
...excellent suspension upgrades
...and reasonable weight control and improved mileage.

A car that may actually compete with the venerable M3...for much less coin. The best GT deal ever and a better car/deal for the twisties than the GT500!!

Going to be very interesting to see what happens in Grand Am this year and how Camaro responds. Hopefully...the 5.0 limit won't bite Ford again.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

...a new buff body style

A car that may actually compete with the venerable M3...for much less coin. The best GT deal ever and a better car/deal for the twisties than the GT500!!

Going to be very interesting to see what happens in Grand Am this year and how Camaro responds. Hopefully...the 5.0 limit won't bite Ford again.

I hate to say it but I'll bet Grand Am slams a butt load of ballast on this car!!
Last year's car was kicking ass, it will be very interesting to watch what sort of handicapping will be required to keep it from absolutely KILLING the competition!!!:rockon:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I hate to say it but I'll bet Grand Am slams a butt load of ballast on this car!!
Last year's car was kicking ass, it will be very interesting to watch what sort of handicapping will be required to keep it from absolutely KILLING the competition!!!:rockon:

Yep...going to be fun to watch...and listen to. I believe all the races will be televised this year.. I've heard the Coyote is capable of 8500 rpm plus. I wonder what they are running them at in Grand Am. If they are restricted we still won't be seeing... or hearing...this engine's potential.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I was reading the article in the March issue of 5.0 Mustang reguarding the new coyote. Ford engineers designed the coyote with forced induction in mind. So in its current n/a form you are right the new engine wont like more than maybe 6# of boost. But swap out the rods and pistons and the game changes. The new cylinder heads flow better than the GT500 heads on the intake side, close to if not over 300cfm I believe I read, and just a tad less on the exhaust side. Pretty sick! Only thing that sucks is that the new heads are not interchangeable with other Ford Modulars. The block also has about the same bore spacing as the 4.6 but with iron liners to improve strength. To me it sounds like there will be an eco boosted version sometime in the future or at least a supercharged version.

I just finished that same article myself, it's very well written and thorough. This motor will definitely be supercharged down the road, the article alludes to it several times. Two of the interesting things I read was that the Manley rods from the Terminator motor will "just fit" the Coyote motor and the TiVCT (twin independant variable cam timing) allow the cam timing to be varied 50 crankshaft degrees and timing changes can be made in just 0.2 second; cam lift is 0.472 intake/0.432 exhaust, the highest factory cam lift ever in a modern 4-valve motor, higher then the FGT cams.

...a new buff body style

You forgot to mention the new 6 speed manual and automatic transmissions and electric assisted power steering for the 2011 Mustang.

Agreed. If the Porsche cheaters and BMW whiners :whine: get a sympathetic ear, and I'm sure they will, the BOSS 302R will be handicapped by Grand-Am.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
From what I've heard the new 5.0 will not be able to handle boost like a Terminator. They are called Terminator for a reason......

not in stock form.. the rods are basically the same old powdered metal pushrods found in the 4.6 modular, and while the block has been beefed up to handle future forced induction, the short block, IF you do boost it will be like the 4.6 modulars of yore, living on borrowed time..

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Could u elaborate more as to why the new 5.0 won't b able to handle boost like the 4.6's?

not in stock form.. the rods are basically the same old powdered metal pushrods found in the 4.6 modular, and while the block has been beefed up to handle future forced induction, the short block, IF you do boost it will be like the 4.6 modulars of yore, living on borrowed time..

Unfortunately in base NA form this motor won't like boost or nitrous. Plastic intake, high compression, powdered metal rods, and hypereutectic pistons will tolerate stock power levels and rpm, but not have much ceiling above that.

Jim

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Unfortunately in base NA form this motor won't like boost or nitrous. Plastic intake, high compression, powdered metal rods, and hypereutectic pistons will tolerate stock power levels and rpm, but not have much ceiling above that.

Jim

The 5.0 Magazine article on the Coyote confirms your assertions, this isn't a Cobra motor in it's current form, but I suspect someday it we will see this motor built right for the next SVT Mustang.

I've read that the BOSS 302R motors red-line is 8500rpms, the only way they can do this is if they are using forged H-Beam rods, the 5.0 Magazine article does say the Terminator/Manley rods "just fit" the Coyote motor, how do you think they know that...

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
What would it cost per vehicle for Ford just to put forged rods and bullet-proof pistons in the Coyote right from the factory?

Jroc

Established Member
If you read the article in 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford it talks about the header cost about 3x to produce as what manifolds do, and that they worked hard to fit them within the budget they had for the motor. I like the fact that it has header, but would rather Ford have given them manifolds, and spent the money save from them into some better rods and pistons. Its alot easier and cheaper for enthusiast to upgrade the exhaust system than it is to tear the motor apart and upgrade the bottomend

JMO, but LS motors have rods and pistons that while not forged will support some pretty decent HP #'s before needing to be upgraded.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I like it and would rock one before I'd consider the Camaro or Challenger. Only complaint I had of the current car was it being a little down on power compared to the competition, but I love the solid axle, interior, and exterior styling. Can't wait to see what the GT500 brings to the party.

*sigh*

Taken from leftlanenews:
Combined with Ford’s latest track pack, the 2011 Mustang GT reportedly lapped Michigan’s GingerMan Raceway dead-even with the current BMW M3 — despite a 200 pound weight disadvantage.

I'll take being "down on power" when it runs even with an M3 and the Camaro and Challenger can't come close to that.

Camaro Curb Weight: 3849
Mustang Curb Weight: 3562 (assuming this number since every article says the new 2011 weighs 10lbs more than the 2010).

So even having "only" 412hp, it should easily keep up with, if not beat, the Camaro in a straight line and in the twisties.

Last edited:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
My 5.0 is slow as ****, but I still prefer it to the new 5.0s. I like pushrods and in-block cams.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
The new rediline is somewhere around 8k

Where are you getting this number from?

5.0 Magazine says 7000 redline, 412hp @ 6500/390 lb-tq @ 4250 on 91 octane gas; they cite the 7000 redline three times in their March article on the new 5.0 so I don't think it's a typo.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
If you read the article in 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford it talks about the header cost about 3x to produce as what manifolds do, and that they worked hard to fit them within the budget they had for the motor. I like the fact that it has header, but would rather Ford have given them manifolds, and spent the money save from them into some better rods and pistons. Its alot easier and cheaper for enthusiast to upgrade the exhaust system than it is to tear the motor apart and upgrade the bottomend

JMO, but LS motors have rods and pistons that while not forged will support some pretty decent HP #'s before needing to be upgraded.

This isn't a SVT motor, yet... There has to be room to grow this new motor for the top-shelf Mustang to come. Personally, I'm OK with these rods being almost maxed out at 7000 rpm and 412hp in a NA motor, logic would indicate that when they do build a 5.0 for the next generation SVT Mustang, which will most likely be boosted in some fashion, they will have to upgrade the rods.

Users who are viewing this thread