2011 Mustang: Where does it fall?

JParm93

Established Member
Now that the 5.0 has been reincarnated I can't help but remember when the original 5.0 Mustangs were in production almost all of us said at some point: I wish they would put the 351 in a Mustang. Now the tables have turned and everyone is so happy the 5.0 is "back"... the 412hp part may have something to do with it. As I have been reading the press releases, forum posts, etc. I can help but wonder where the 2011 GT will fall in the great choices Ford has given us in just the last 8 years or so. Starting with the 03/04 Cobra and then the GT500's Ford has more than made up for the early 4.6 cars of the 90's. So what's everyone else's thoughts on how the 2011 will go down in history against the Terminators, Shelby's and of course the original 5.0? And how about the V6 having more power than all but a hand full of Mustangs ever?

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
I'm hoping it goes the way of the mighty LS1. An engine that becomes the building block for greater and greater versions over time. An engine, that while great, gets overshadowed over the years as its small problems are fixed and its great attributes are exploited.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
i love how 90% of peoples wants are met and then everyone still finds something to complain about

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I like it and would rock one before I'd consider the Camaro or Challenger. Only complaint I had of the current car was it being a little down on power compared to the competition, but I love the solid axle, interior, and exterior styling. Can't wait to see what the GT500 brings to the party.

THE_STIG

Established Member
i love how 90% of peoples wants are met and then everyone still finds something to complain about

+1,000,000,000

Before:
"Ford needs to put the 5.0 back in it"

Now:
"Well its a 5.0, but it could be bigger"

Just be happy with the ****ing car....

SNCBOOM

Established Member
What are the price points of the new model? I'm sure it's a $40k optioned car, I feel like they're pricing themselves out of the demographic. Then again, maybe they're going after the baby boomers with the body style. I have never liked the S-197 anyway.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Only time will tell.

Its not a pushrod 5.0, but a modular 5.0 is good enough. being n/a, 281ci just isnt a good enough starting point, 302ci (or 301.9999) is a bit better.

Pricewise a 2011 GT will fall where a nicely equipped GT has always fell. High 20's to low 30's depending on dealership, locale, etc. Ford isnt all of a sudden going to charge $25k for a v6 cause its 300hp and $35k for a GT cause its 412hp.

as for Terminators/GT500's, thats a whole other story. Sure a base 2011 GT has better specs on paper, but that doesnt always translate to real world, and both the cars listed still have far superior engine internals, making them the better platform for cheap boost gains. You dont have to spend $5k on a boost maker to realize your motor cant handle it, and then another $5-10k on a built motor; they come with both a boost maker and a built motor stock, you just add to it. They are still better platforms for modding if you want 600-800whp with blowers (even more with snails) without having to touch any part of the motor.

Last edited:

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
They are sick. They seem like they are about as good as they can get without spending some really serious cheese.

I will miss the days when you could change the intake and exhaust for less than $500 bucks and make 20-40 more hp. That was really cool. In fact, that may be the area where they are moving away from the demographic more than in price.

I love my Cobra, but am not about to try to beat that kind of power in an 8 year old car that I want to drive everyday. I would rather drop 30 grand on a brand new vehicle with a warranty than spend a bunch of money on a boost set up to make the same numbers.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
What are the price points of the new model? I'm sure it's a $40k optioned car, I feel like they're pricing themselves out of the demographic. Then again, maybe they're going after the baby boomers with the body style. I have never liked the S-197 anyway.

I'd sure like to know the break down in sales of V6, GT, GT500 and other special run S197 Mustangs. I'd bet the V6 sells 2to1 over the others and the price is still reasonable for the V6 buyer; the fuel effecent 2011 V6, putting out 300+HP, may shoot the number to 3to1, or more...

MLMike25

Established Member
Is the rear end going to be able to handle the power without aftermarket parts? Seems like this has been one of Ford's problems for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread