2011 Mustang: Where does it fall?

Formula51

Established Member
Only time will tell.

Its not a pushrod 5.0, but a modular 5.0 is good enough. being n/a, 281ci just isnt a good enough starting point, 302ci (or 301.9999) is a bit better.

Pricewise a 2011 GT will fall where a nicely equipped GT has always fell. High 20's to low 30's depending on dealership, locale, etc. Ford isnt all of a sudden going to charge $25k for a v6 cause its 300hp and $35k for a GT cause its 412hp.

Ford already charges $24.5k for a 2010 V6 Premium. And a 2010 GT Premium is $31.5k. I'm hoping there isn't much a price increase for 2011.

Formula51

Established Member
Read this today (dont have a link): on the new 5.0L VE at peak power is 98-100% and VE at peak torque is 108-110%.

That is pretty darn awesome from the factory and clearly the result of the headers we have read about and the tuned exhaust. That being said, it may not leave a lot on the table for simple bolt-on gains. Then again, if you don't need to waste your money on bolt-on's, that's not necessarily bad thing.

Gooch03

Established Member
I love my 96 GT non PI. But this new one has me intrigued. My car rattles and shakes and wont stay in one lane anymore. Maybe its time to upgrade.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
For the first time in decades, the GT has a powerplant that it can be proud of :bowdown: This engine is creating a buzz unlike anything seen before in the GT community. For this reason:

I think the 2011 GT will be regarded as an iconic model years from now. The 4.6L 2V was, well never all that impressive in stock form. The 3V was an improvement, but a band aid really.

The last 15 years of modular engines have made many a Mustang owner well versed in FI - Not saying THAT'S going to change anytime soon, nor should it, but now we have an alternate choice of obtaining respectable power that's quite legitimate. :beer:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
i think it will leave a mark in mustang history. Because it's a "base model" mustang with a high power engine, it will force aftermarket or specialty mustangs to increase their standards. My only concern is that now the new standard prices for cars has increased tremendously. it seems that the bare minimum starts at about $30K but i've seen dealer mark ups go up to $45K

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
When can you start ordering the 2011 Mustang? I seem to remember reading an article that said dealers would get the 2011 ordering info. in late February 2010 and could start placing orders for them in March for arrival in late May-early June. Anyone else read this and/or can provide a link to the info.?

ddtcm

Dan
Established Member
From what I've heard the new 5.0 will not be able to handle boost like a Terminator. They are called Terminator for a reason......

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
From what I've heard the new 5.0 will not be able to handle boost like a Terminator. They are called Terminator for a reason......

Could u elaborate more as to why the new 5.0 won't b able to handle boost like the 4.6's?

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Could u elaborate more as to why the new 5.0 won't b able to handle boost like the 4.6's?

the new 5.0 is going to be a higher compression motor, which is not ideal for boosted situations. However, high compression motors usually react well to spray. Look at the LS1 for instance, in stock form its not great for turbo/blowers but they LOVE small shots of nitrous.

I think Ford has really gone in the right direction with this 5.0 GT and their sales should be VERY strong for all versions v6 and v8...so good for ford and us. As for me, id wait till 2012-2013 after all the buzz around the 5.0 is settled and pick one up for a couple thousand below sticker...

281cobra

Drive by poster
Established Member
It's really 4.9 liters, but 5.0 sounds better;-)

Actually the engine does round off to 5.0 liters.

The original 5.0 V8 displaced 302 cubic inches, or 4.948 liters. If you apply standard rounding rules, it's a 4.9-liter engine—not 5.0—so Ford took some liberties when it named the old engine. Fudging the numbers is no longer needed, however, because the 2011 engine has a bore of 92.2 millimeters and a stoke of 92.7—measurements that work out to 4.951 liters.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
i think it will leave a mark in mustang history. Because it's a "base model" mustang with a high power engine, it will force aftermarket or specialty mustangs to increase their standards. My only concern is that now the new standard prices for cars has increased tremendously. it seems that the bare minimum starts at about $30K but i've seen dealer mark ups go up to $45K

+1

Can't wait to see the price on this one... $29,995... Oh it's under $30k...

Jack Burton

Established Member

I think he was referring to the terminator, not the general 4.6 since there are very distinct differences such as the forged internals of the lower compression pistons. Granted, you can boost a regular 4.6, just not like you can the 4.6 in the terminator.

I'm interested to see how this new 5.0 pans out. I'm sure we will hear about a lot of blown engines in the quest for power:D

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
the new 5.0 is going to be a higher compression motor, which is not ideal for boosted situations. However, high compression motors usually react well to spray. Look at the LS1 for instance, in stock form its not great for turbo/blowers but they LOVE small shots of nitrous.

I think Ford has really gone in the right direction with this 5.0 GT and their sales should be VERY strong for all versions v6 and v8...so good for ford and us. As for me, id wait till 2012-2013 after all the buzz around the 5.0 is settled and pick one up for a couple thousand below sticker...

This new engine may not take too well to nitrous either due to the plastic composite intake manifold. I know I've heard of a handfull of individuals blowing their plastic 2v intakes apart. Be interesting to see if anyone comes out with an upgraded intake made of aluminum.

I was reading the article in the March issue of 5.0 Mustang reguarding the new coyote. Ford engineers designed the coyote with forced induction in mind. So in its current n/a form you are right the new engine wont like more than maybe 6# of boost. But swap out the rods and pistons and the game changes. The new cylinder heads flow better than the GT500 heads on the intake side, close to if not over 300cfm I believe I read, and just a tad less on the exhaust side. Pretty sick! Only thing that sucks is that the new heads are not interchangeable with other Ford Modulars. The block also has about the same bore spacing as the 4.6 but with iron liners to improve strength. To me it sounds like there will be an eco boosted version sometime in the future or at least a supercharged version.

Users who are viewing this thread