helloWorld

Established Member
Berate me if I am wrong, but I do believe Shaun and others are saying that while enabling the car to go past 8,000 RPM is fine, it is the timing that can not be made right no matter what?

I guess an analogy would be like removing the 120 mph limiter on a 50 horsepower car. Sure, the car can now go 121, but with 50 horsepower, it was never able to reach the 120 limiter anyways.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Berate me if I am wrong, but I do believe Shaun and others are saying that while enabling the car to go past 8,000 RPM is fine, it is the timing that can not be made right no matter what?

I guess an analogy would be like removing the 120 mph limiter on a 50 horsepower car. Sure, the car can now go 121, but with 50 horsepower, it was never able to reach the 120 limiter anyways.

Ah, that could still be the case. I didnt really gather that from the OP. I'll go sit in the corner quietly until they confirm...

helloWorld

Established Member
I realize my original analogy probably was not accurate enough, if I am even approaching this issue from the accurate side.

A better analogy would be, Let's take our 500 horsepower car with a factory speed limiter of 145 mph. We can remove the limiter so that we can drive faster than 145 mph, but we then find out that the tires are not rated for higher than 145 mph. So, we have every availability to go faster than 145, but we are now limited elsewhere.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
if i remember correctly, my truck didnt make power past 7000 rpm with 3.73s on HPTuners...

Shaun@AED

No thanks. Lol. The car runs great as it is. So to shift past 8k with no issues would be a stand alone ECU?

The factory ECU is far more capable than any stand alone currently on the market.
If your goal is to hold out top gear in the 1/4 mile past 8K, but shift before 8K in all other gears then you can already do this with a simple rev limit increase in your current tunes.
If you want to shift past 8K but still not spin the engine past 8500, I'm sure in time HP Tuners will come up with a solution for the TiVCT reverting back to zero when shifted above 8K. If you are dead set on reving past 8500 the only current option is a stand alone, but you will sacrafice other aspects of tuning/drivability in exchange for the added RPM. For a dedicated race car, Stand alone is not a bad choice, but I still prefer running the Factory ECU or FRPP Control Pack.

AKDMB

Established Member
Pretty sure Eric made reference to this being able to take cars up to 8400rpm. I might be misunderstanding what you guys are saying. This is a software patch just released from HP Tuners, SCT still can't do this(revving past 8000 without a strategy change while still controlling the VCT). This patch let's you control the VCT past 8000rpm like the article said. SCT will let you go past 8000 with a boss strategy, but you can't control VCT.

if i remember correctly, my truck didnt make power past 7000 rpm with 3.73s on HPTuners...
Was your truck setup to make paper past 8000rpm? This just let's you rev higher, not necessarily make power. A software patch can't change the airflow characteristics of an engine.

EDIT: Power, not paper lol.

Last edited:

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Was your truck setup to make paper past 8000rpm? This just let's you rev higher, not necessarily make power. A software patch can't change the airflow characteristics of an engine.

i am running the stock GT intake, which means i'm leaving top end power on the table, but whp drastically fell off after 7k

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Or the patch with HPTuners mentioned in the original post...ya know, the entire point of this thread?

Yes HPTuners VS SCT.... Go figure...lol... I doubt I will go back to SCT any time soon. Only reason I'm keeping the X4 is for cam relearn. Can't wait for nGAUGE to have this capability...

Shaun@AED

Pretty sure Eric made reference to this being able to take cars up to 8400rpm. I might be misunderstanding what you guys are saying. This is a software patch just released from HP Tuners, SCT still can't do this(revving past 8000 without a strategy change while still controlling the VCT). This patch let's you control the VCT past 8000rpm like the article said. SCT will let you go past 8000 with a boss strategy, but you can't control VCT.

There has not been any testing on VCT shifting past 8K with this patch as it has nothing to do with VCT, it's simply a Binary code change for the crank sensor max RPM/Error.
There are 2 different issues here.
Hell, some strategies revert VCT back to Zero above 7200 shifting. I know of other strategies that do not revert VCT back to zero but they cannot be used in many applications.

corysmach1

Established Member
The factory ECU is far more capable than any stand alone currently on the market.
If your goal is to hold out top gear in the 1/4 mile past 8K, but shift before 8K in all other gears then you can already do this with a simple rev limit increase in your current tunes.
If you want to shift past 8K but still not spin the engine past 8500, I'm sure in time HP Tuners will come up with a solution for the TiVCT reverting back to zero when shifted above 8K. If you are dead set on reving past 8500 the only current option is a stand alone, but you will sacrafice other aspects of tuning/drivability in exchange for the added RPM. For a dedicated race car, Stand alone is not a bad choice, but I still prefer running the Factory ECU or FRPP Control Pack.

Ok cool. Thanks Shaun. Trap speed wise I am not there yet for the raise in RPM. I should be by fall. I will E-mail ya then and we will talk. Thanks again.

AKDMB

Established Member
I'm not saying you guys were wrong, definitely don't mean to question the knowledge of a pro like Shaun, but I'm pretty sure this patch let's you control the cams past 8000rpm. I definitely agree standalone isnt necessary until you wanna go full retard.

Screenshot_2016-04-09-15-50-25.png

Screenshot_2016-04-09-15-47-13.png

Shaun@AED

I've not had a problem with commanded VCT past 8K, look at the log I posted you will see perfect cam timing as well.
It's cam timing After a shift (on the hit of the next gear) when shifted above 8K that's been the problem, and that is only on the 8k+ tunes I've written, it's different on various strategies.

I think there was a miscommunication about the issue I told Eric about..... Or maybe there was 2 issues...I do not know. I've only experienced the 1 issue.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I've not had a problem with commanded VCT past 8K, look at the log I posted you will see perfect cam timing as well.
It's cam timing After a shift (on the hit of the next gear) when shifted above 8K that's been the problem, and that is only on the 8k+ tunes I've written, it's different on various strategies.

I think there was a miscommunication about the issue I told Eric about..... Or maybe there was 2 issues...I do not know. I've only experienced the 1 issue.

Oh.......OK, that makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding. How long does it seem to take (rpm wise I guess) the cams to come back to commanded position? Thanks for sharing this info here.

corysmach1

Established Member
Oh.......OK, that makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding. How long does it seem to take (rpm wise I guess) the cams to come back to commanded position? Thanks for sharing this info here.

The hesitation on the shifts past 8k is terrible. It kills your MPH. Thats why Shaun has my limiter set at 7950 i believe so I dont hit it and revert cams back to 0. Once they fix this I will have Shaun write me a new tune for 8k+.....Shaun's tunes are awesome. Once HP fixes this it will open a new door for the guys that really wanna Rev these cars.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

The hesitation on the shifts past 8k is terrible. It kills your MPH. Thats why Shaun has my limiter set at 7950 i believe so I dont hit it and revert cams back to 0. Once they fix this I will have Shaun write me a new tune for 8k+.....Shaun's tunes are awesome. Once HP fixes this it will open a new door for the guys that really wanna Rev these cars.

Despite my initial hesitations/reservations with HP tuners, Eric Brooks has made a great effort to add parameters and features custom tuners have been needing. This RPM limit is a great example and I look forward to what he can find/come up with in the future.

corysmach1

Established Member
Despite my initial hesitations/reservations with HP tuners, Eric Brooks has made a great effort to add parameters and features custom tuners have been needing. This RPM limit is a great example and I look forward to what he can find/come up with in the future.

I'm excited too. Please let me know when the 8k+ shift issue is fixed and we will get started. Thanks again Shaun.

Mattlinke

I only tested an 8200 shift this morning and when it goes to tip-out limit the cams say disabled and 0* but as soon as I tap the throttle again they are instantly where the PCM commands and i felt no hesitation at all.

I normally No-lift, but this was on a cold road and i did not want to lose control of the car.

It could be strategy related. I know that different strategies have significant impact on how these cars run. my 2013 is running a strategy out of a 2011 for that very reason.

corysmach1

Established Member
I only tested an 8200 shift this morning and when it goes to tip-out limit the cams say disabled and 0* but as soon as I tap the throttle again they are instantly where the PCM commands and i felt no hesitation at all.

I normally No-lift, but this was on a cold road and i did not want to lose control of the car.

It could be strategy related. I know that different strategies have significant impact on how these cars run. my 2013 is running a strategy out of a 2011 for that very reason.

I no lift shift so hopefully it gets patched up soon. The car pulls like a banshee to 8k+.

PHP

VCT reverting back to zero

There has not been any testing on VCT shifting past 8K with this patch as it has nothing to do with VCT, it's simply a Binary code change for the crank sensor max RPM/Error.
There are 2 different issues here.
Hell, some strategies revert VCT back to Zero above 7200 shifting. I know of other strategies that do not revert VCT back to zero but they cannot be used in many applications.

I found some strategies revert VCT back to Zero above 7200 shifting. And I am using SCT. Is there any solution I can do by using Advantage III to solve this problem?

Randy Mcclaren

Established Member
I have a cj intake and exhaust my car pulls good to 7700-7800 and shifts good in 2-3 or 3-4 but the 1-2 shift has a bobble or delay when shifted over 7500 had two different tuners and bot the same result is this a trans issue?I have a sct tuner

Users who are viewing this thread